entertaining the idea of a 20th anniversary party. What would make it ACE?

(3 Posts)
LowLevelWhinging Sat 10-Aug-13 20:27:21

We are 38 and in a few months will have been together 20 years. We have 3 DCs - 7, 5 and 1. And most importantly, we really like each other grin

We are planning on a small, like REALLY small wedding sometime soon, for legal reasons (DCs and inheritance tax).

We have hosted some great house parties/BBQs etc and I really like making people feel welcome.

Neither of us are into being centre of attention, don't want any ceremony or formality, but good food, a boogie and - having read umpteen crap wedding threads on here - we would want everyone of all ages to be well catered for.

I think we know how to do parties for people of our age group, but how to include wider family and friends?

So, please let me know what great - and shit? - family and friends parties you have been to and what makes them good.

raisah Sat 24-Aug-13 05:54:52

Plenty of food & drink so costco or a similar wholesaler will help to keep costs down by buying everything in huge catering packs.

Offer lots of none alcoholic options for drivers & teetolers. Serve canapes, mocktails & posh soft drinks on arrival & then serve alcohol with the food only so you minimise vomiting & mooning incidents!

Why not get the legal bit out of the way & hire a community hall or hotel for a party for all of your friends & family. The pressure is off to make it weddingy and you can customise it to fit your taste?

If it's in a hall you can do it like a festival with stalls of different cuisines, circus acts, magicians & an ice cream van. Just ideas which will appeal to a cross generational audience.

Alternatively read this thread on what to avoid and be thankful you are not having a formal wedding.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1832446-Terrible-wedding-behaviour

raisah Sat 24-Aug-13 05:55:14

Plenty of food & drink so costco or a similar wholesaler will help to keep costs down by buying everything in huge catering packs.

Offer lots of none alcoholic options for drivers & teetolers. Serve canapes, mocktails & posh soft drinks on arrival & then serve alcohol with the food only so you minimise vomiting & mooning incidents!

Why not get the legal bit out of the way & hire a community hall or hotel for a party for all of your friends & family. The pressure is off to make it weddingy and you can customise it to fit your taste?

If it's in a hall you can do it like a festival with stalls of different cuisines, circus acts, magicians & an ice cream van. Just ideas which will appeal to a cross generational audience.

Alternatively read this thread on what to avoid and be thankful you are not having a formal wedding.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1832446-Terrible-wedding-behaviour

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now