naming ceremony - where do i start??

(8 Posts)
utopian99 Thu 18-Jul-13 11:37:51

Hi
We're having the naming ceremony for our first ds in September and I have no idea what we need to consider!
We want it to be a nice day for him and any guests, fun and friendly rather than a big deal, but what essentials should we cover?
We're going to meet the celebrant in two weeks so what should we ask and any pointers?

DoItTooJulia Thu 18-Jul-13 11:45:12

You need guide parents! The humanist association has a book published with suitable readings for life events. Will try and find link later.

We had one some years ago. We had a coupe of readings, the guide parents all spoke and I spoke too. Then we had food and dancing in the afternoon, lovely!

If I think of anything else I will be back!

utopian99 Thu 18-Jul-13 14:25:43

Cool, we have guide parents arranged - didn't think about dancing. What sort of thing? When did you start/ end?

DoItTooJulia Fri 19-Jul-13 07:42:54

Well it depends on how lentil weaving-ish you plan to be? Acoustic guitar and hippy dancing or more normal CD player or iPod and some tunes. Ours was outside, in the afternoon, from 1 till 6 ish, but we always end up dancing whatever we are doing!

LexieH Fri 02-Aug-13 15:42:55

My parents went to a naming ceremony and the parents of the child had asked everyone to bring a little treasure, picture, note, song (etc etc) something that could go into a time capsule that the child will open when they are 18!! I love this idea it is gorgeous x

utopian99 Sun 04-Aug-13 19:27:51

I like that too. Have had a chance to talk to the celebrant and lots of thoughts. Parents have a friend they can borrow a g gazebo from so hoping to have it in part of the garden with a bunch of fruit trees and ask people to write him a note for the future and hang them in the trees.
We have people coming down from 4/5 hours away, so is 2pm or 3 better? Ceremony about half an hour then doing cream tea and Pimms after and letting people hang out and drift off when they want. Should we do more foid , booze?

babybouncer Wed 07-Aug-13 21:58:38

You can do whatever you want, however you want. We had a relatively formal affair without a celebrant; a welcome/what is a naming ceremony speech from my in-laws, a poem and speech from me and DH introducing our mentors, then a finishing speech from my parents and a champagne toast.

With DS it was in winter, so there was hot drinks on arrival for 20 mins ish, then ceremony which lasted about 20 mins, then a hot buffet lunch (lunch bags for kids) and general mingling for about an hour, then people headed off as a lot of them were travelling a long way.

With DD it was summer, so we did it in the afternoon - people didn't mind driving back later as it wasnt dark) and after the ceremony we had afternoon tea (still party food bags for the kids).

We asked people to write advice in a book for DS, and something similar for DD. At others I've been to, I've seen people ask guests to bring a favourite book to start a library, to decorate a precut square which was then made into a quilt, to donate to a lifetime membership of a charity, to predict their favourite subjects/future career, and to pin notes on a map telling them places they should visit.

What I love about naming days is that they can be really personal and reflect what is important to you. Enjoy!

utopian99 Mon 09-Sep-13 09:28:20

Coming back for a last minute yelp ...

What gift could you give a god parent/supporting adult?We'd like give something but not sure what. It doesn't have to be relevant to the event or our son, just a nice something by way of a thank you for stepping up.
Was thinking picture frame but they might feel it should have him in it, which isn't our intention.

Fruit tree? One has just finished their house and garden, one has a small courtyard they're redoing but are keen gardeners...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now