21 Years Old: What happens next...

(10 Posts)
raisah Sun 07-Jul-13 09:13:50

I always get a nice special homecooked meal and a box of ferrerro rocher (my favourite). I am late 30's not for long though :-( and I always get a card from my parents. This is our family tradition from when we where growing up as cash was tight so it was a birthday meal and a box of your favourite chocs.

OrangeLily Wed 03-Jul-13 12:24:39

In our family presents still happen on birthdays. My parents also buy for DH too. Why would you stop?

sleepyhead Wed 03-Jul-13 11:50:06

I still get a present from my parents (and my one living grandparent) and I'm 40! They're not big presents, but still a birthday present.

All families have different "rules" though. In our family birthday presents from aunts & uncles stop at 21 and Christmas presents stop on the birth of children (the children get the presents instead).

My brother & I also agreed to stop birthday/Christmas presents when we started our own families and were strapped for cash. I know plenty of people who are confused that I don't get my own brother a birthday present though.

We have never bought presents for aunts/uncles/cousins, again in many families this would be seen as strange.

littlejosh Wed 03-Jul-13 11:47:56

Opps misjudged completely!

From late teens to now we've given cash, but maybe after this, we give token gifts.

I think in my household Christmas was always the big thing and not birthdays (apart from the significant dates!).

My parents still buy me Christmas presents even though me and my siblings have told them to stop but we get cards for birthdays...

I think its just something my husband and I have both grown up with so thought it was fairly normal to stop. We have a whole year to work out what to get though for their 22nd! wink

MrsGSR Wed 03-Jul-13 11:45:27

After 21 we got smaller birthday presents, but still got a present! My dad was 67 yesterday and my nan got him a present.

queenebay Wed 03-Jul-13 11:42:12

I'm 45 and I still get pressies

themonsteratemyspacebar Wed 03-Jul-13 11:41:23

That seems really unusual to me. Never heard of it before! Id be gutted tbh.
Im 25 and still get an advent calendar off mine grin

MrsHende Wed 03-Jul-13 11:38:37

Really? No birthday present from your parents? I'd be gutted!! (And I'm a long way past my twenties!)

My mum still gets me birthday and Christmas presents. I'm 22.

My dad is 41 and my grandparents still give him stuff for birthday and Christmas!

I hope it doesn't stop! grin

littlejosh Wed 03-Jul-13 11:35:07

Looking for some feedback.

DSS is 21 soon, we've purchased a special gift for them.

We choose to get him a "special gift" for their 21, as we had decided that this would be the last time we would probably buy them a birthday gift.

However when we let ex partner know she asked if we were joking.
I thought this was normal, that when you reached your 20s your parents stopped buying you birthday presents (happened with me!!).

Have things changed? Please let me know?

Don't know if its relevant but DSS lives with girlfriend and works full time and is well on their way to making their way in the world.

PS we would continue to buy Christmas presents for them (or is this different).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now