Shirley's party advice part 6 - don't be afraid to interrupt us!

(1000 Posts)

Okay, this is shirley's party advice part 6. Shirley ducked out a while ago and you'll notice us chatting about all kinds of stuff whilst we wait for party planners to barge in.

So, don't lurk, jump in and chat. We'll give you any advice on parties from costumes to cakes....

Ok, so I did a really bad job of explaining that. Sorry. I was on my way to a meeting with an astrophysicist wink

I will try again sometime over the weekend - too tired now sad

DS has a very glam DT teacher too (as well as the bearded one, but even he is cool - they get to make coracles and then race them on the pond shock) - come to think of it DS can make what he wants and we get billed for materials, so I could get him to make me a set of perspex boards grin

I will describe the icing technique better, I promise, but if you were interested in the class then Craftsy are having a sales here

Omg why did i not know of this. Im just in the midsts of learning Lightroom on the mac, i need to learn FinalCutPro ready to make this years dvd, i need to move house...have i got time to do these courses cos i want them all...

Thankyou stealth i've bookmarked that.

smile If you sign up then they send you offer emails all the time. I was looking at the cake decorating course and had it as far as the basket but was dithering at £29, and an hour later they sent me an offer which made is £7 ish grin

Blathers - I think your DD may need this

Blatherskite Mon 16-Sep-13 10:32:36

I'd need two. That would definitely cause fights when they both wanted it smile

Christmas, then, maybe - rather than birthdays? My DS found that in the catalogue this morning and declared it to be cool. He has now gone off to France for 3 weeks [sniff] - with no dragonsshock (preferred dragon beat out a mammoth for the chance to go on holiday, so the mammoth got this trip, along with bear).

<<spoilt entitled whinge alert>>

My vouchers arrived on Saturday, so I went to buy the Le Creuset pan online and the offer has finished so it's back up to full price sad. I now can't decide whether to get it anyway, or to use the vouchers to get DD the Kindle that she wants for her birthday instead.

No no no. Vouchers is free money to be spent solely on yourself.

Blatherskite Tue 17-Sep-13 11:07:10

My blue jelly has arrived grin

Agree with DW on the vouchers

Blatherskite Tue 17-Sep-13 11:10:51

What can I do the boats out of that's not orange slices? I can't see DD eating them so it seems a waste.

I was considering upturned rolos with a mini flag stuck in but that would involve breaking my Nestle boycott again so I'd rather choose something else if I can.

Considering a milky, lemon jelly layer at the bottom for sand, then the blue jelly with jelly sharks in and then a boat on top. Need to get some more plastic cups.

How about a segment of a chocolate orange?

even the Le Creuset pan wouldn't really be "just for me" - but I wouldn't mind if it were at the bargain price it was before sad

Blatherskite Tue 17-Sep-13 12:38:50

They're too thin to stand up I think.

The MagiMix was definitely for me, DH couldn't see the point. I did get a new set of house phones too though

quarter of an apricot? [getting desperate]

Blatherskite Tue 17-Sep-13 13:39:37

I'm not sure they'd get eaten either sad I tried looking for little plastic boats but can't find anything small enough

make little round cakes and cut them into wedges? 1/3 of a cake pop?

Blatherskite Tue 17-Sep-13 13:53:21

Aha! A new excuse as to why I need a cake pop maker grin

There you go, then - sorted grin

Much as i love a cake pop cant you make the jelly segments rather than an actual orange. like this

Blatherskite Wed 18-Sep-13 19:36:24

I could but they're going to sit on top of a shark infested jelly sea. Would that be too much jelly?

Exciting news - I got picked for the Cadbury's Pebbles thing on MN. They're going to send me a "bitesize" bag and I need to "decorate a sweet treat with" them. "The most unusual and creative decoration (as judged by Cadbury)" wins a JL voucher. So, I need to come up with something exciting to do with them. I was thinking Pinata cookies??? Any ideas?

[sulk] I didn't get picked for that. I get picked for blooming cif instead hmm

How big are they? Wouldn't they have to be humongous pinata cookies?

Could you do a dry run of shark infested jelly and use them as pebbles in the sea bed it would taste revolting but I bet Cadburys would like it?

Blatherskite Wed 18-Sep-13 19:59:52

I didn't get Cif.

I'm not sure how big they are to be honest. I think smartie sized, maybe a bit bigger. Wouldn't the wet jelly take all the colour off and make then look awful? Would they be visible enough to be liked?

I considered making a pattern on a cake but I'm not sure how "unusual" that would be and whether there'd be enough in a bite size bag

I have just spent an entire evening with clay and miniscule letter stamps doing the rest of the invitations and labels for both invitations and bags.

I blame you lot grin

Blatherskite Thu 19-Sep-13 10:52:28

He he he smile

I need to think up invites for DD's Pirate party....

This thread is not accepting new messages.