Shirley's party advice part 6 - don't be afraid to interrupt us!

(1000 Posts)

Okay, this is shirley's party advice part 6. Shirley ducked out a while ago and you'll notice us chatting about all kinds of stuff whilst we wait for party planners to barge in.

So, don't lurk, jump in and chat. We'll give you any advice on parties from costumes to cakes....

Outside area for general rioting sounds great - that would kill half an hour, easily.

Do I need to hire a bouncy castle?

I'm really panicking now!

I wouldn't - too expensive and noisy. A couple of willing adults to play superhero-ball (rules TBC) would be fine.

Eh?

pinkpetrol Tue 06-Aug-13 18:50:43

Thanks Stealth those shadow lanterns are beautiful - i might have a go at them myself!

I think i will just have to brace myself and accept that the boys will run around. I may get a klaxon to get their attention.

I was thinking of pulling it all together with a story - the fairy has been kidnapped by the evil troll and we work together on a few tasks to get to her and rescue her ( that should appeal to fairies a d superheros shouldnt it? I might adapt going on a bear hunt. We could have an obstacle course, some kind of gathering scavenger hunt ( i really want to spray acorns gold and this gives me an excuse), make the lanterns to see in the deep dark wood. Have you any other ideas for games? Will this work with 30 Reception children?

If DD2 was Tinkerbell in a duel with any Superhero she would win by shouting and screaming so loudly he would give up and go away! She is VERY assertive.

Lol at your DD! grin

DH got the icing today. It's too dark. Can I knead it with the same amount of ready to roll white icing to lighten it? Or do I need to start again?

What colour icing, Nonsense?

What I meant earlier, BTW (sorry for lack of clarity - I was slowly losing the will to live in a meeting) was that I would go with your idea of letting them riot with beach balls rather than bother hiring a bouncy castle. If it is dry they would be better outside and bouncy castles inside are (unless you have a huge venue) deafening.

Oh I see! I thought you had come up with an amazing new game on the spot!!

It's blue. His choices were baby blue or navy and he chose navy. I need something between the two.

Ah. Yes. I know that problem. He probably made the right call. I would mess around with a small bit and see if adding white gives you what you want. Do you have any paste colours if you need to adjust the colour?

I am afraid you are speaking in another language.
What do you mean by 'paste colours'?

PoppyT Tue 06-Aug-13 21:06:09

Thedoctorswife thank you for advice. I love being organised so have finally realised lunch boxes is the right choice! Those folding crates sound perfect, I've got party bags made up but they're all stacked in random boxes so might nip to tesco tomorrow. Getting giddy now & feeling less stressed than before.

Food colours, but super concentrated in a paste, because the liquids change the texture of the icing too much.

If you don't have them, never mind. Just play with combining navy and white and see how close you get to the shade you want.

Haha ok. I have gel colours. My original plan was to just buy white ready to roll and colour myself but hubby wanted me to buy it. Genius!

I am still waiting for the '1' cake tin to arrive!!
But I have now made both the 10" and 7" cakes. With two layers it won't be as deep as I wanted but I'm losing the will to live now so it'll have to do.

Has anyone tried a silver shimmer spray for cakes that comes in a blue can? Will it actually give a soft shimmery sheen to my cake or will it paint it glittery silver?

Oh - I could just dye white icing but I can't see me needing navy blue icing any time soon so was hoping to use it if possible.

Shimmery spray stuff is fab. Do it.

I would still start with the navy, even if you have the colours. Deep colours are quite hard (and the spray will work better on a darker background)

You can get the spray in blue, I think, but if you just want a sheen on top of the colour you have then get the "pearl" one. I will link to some blue cakes I used pearl spray on..

Just found this on a cake site.

If you require a paler shade then just mix a pack of white icing together with the coloured icing to gain the desired shade

Phew!

I want the shimmer for DDs 1 cake! In pink.
Sorry, I'm even confusing myself!
However, it's now given me an idea for a nighttime scene on the blue tier if it makes it glittery!! smile

shiny blue cakes

You definitely can blend with white - that's not an issue. You just might find that it's not quite the right blue IYSWIM.

If you go from that link to the set that it's in (called cakes), there is a princess in there whose dress was pink icing with pearl spray.

Oh wow. I don't feel at all inadequate, no sir-ee! grin envy

Those dark blue Christmas cakes look lovely. I was hoping to do a nighttime city landscape around the blue so I'm thinking that you wouldn't see the black buildings against the dark dark blue, even with glitter?
Would it still look good if I just did the batman logo onto that? Or should I stick with trying to make a lighter blue? What are people's opinions? I'm trying to get something like this but would it look good the other way?

You had a cake with a number 4 and a flower on it. Was that using the pearl spray and how did you dry the flowers curled?
Also - for next year, I will be picking your brains about the princess castle and the pirate ship! grin

Stealth off subject i just sat looking through your flickr again and saw you've got quite a few "photography" shots like the butterfly, flower and your moon!

Ive been learning to use my camera recently and spent all holiday trying to photograph the moon so what lens/exposure did you use for that fab photo?

In haste, at work...

Nonsense - I am just a few years ahead of you, that's all smile - I started doing cakes when DS was a baby (for him, and family) - he is 10 now.

I agree black skyline wouldn't show up against very dark blue, so more of a royal blue (superman blue?) would work better -you could still make it glittery if you wanted to.

The cake with the flower and the '4' was made in no time flat when I realised that DD expected "birthday tea" on her birthday as well as party cake grin - the flower was left over from the cupcakes which she took to nursery. They were cut out and then left to dry in egg trays/boxes - hence the curve. Yes, the whole cake was liberally sprayed with pearl lustre spray.

DW - the picture of the moon was taken through DS's telescope!

How about the glittery navy with just the batman logo? Is that a cop out?

So the 1 cake tin hasn't shown up. She's sent me another that will come tomorrow but its FILs birthday so we are not here. That leaves me only Friday to finish off everything

Will it be ok to bake and decorate the cake on Friday or should I just do a round cake today so that I can ice it Friday?

Oh. And I forgot to get seedless jam for the superhero cake!! Do I need jam for the filling.....? Lol

This thread is not accepting new messages.