2nd birthday - party or not?

(4 Posts)

Dd1's 2nd birthday is coming up and I can't decide whether I should have a party for her. Last year we had a little tea party for family. I had been planning on doing similar this year, or maybe a family day out, but we've been invited to a few 2nd birthdays recently and it makes me wonder if I should reciprocate.

If I wad going to have a party, I would do something in our village hall (as our house is too small). Dd doesn't really get games yet, but loves going to the local playgroup. I was thinking I could just take a load of our big toys - ride ons, slide, kitchen and so on, as well as a playdoh table, maybe some big cardboard boxes and some big tubs of rice to mess about with. Would that look like I'd made no effort?

If I did have a party I'd have to invite about 8 two year olds and 3 4 year olds (we're in a small rural community and I wouldn't want to offend anyone) - is that manageable? Parents would stay and help, I think. Will the older kids get bored, do you think? If so, what could I do to entertain them?

Thank you for any advice, the prospect of doing a party is giving me palpitations!

jetstar Tue 19-Mar-13 07:38:50

I think a party would be nice and that number sounds ok in a big space like a hall. For our DD's 2nd birthday we did a similar thing with exactly the sort of entertainment you describe and the kids all just loved playing and the parents all stayed. We did pass the parcel as well.
I love planning parties even though I find events stressful at times - so as long as you are up for it then I'd say do it! smile

Thank you! As long as it doesn't sound awful. I can be a bit anxious about things like this, but I wouldn't want dd to miss out.

I can manage pass the parcel, but will people expect more games do you think?

jetstar Tue 19-Mar-13 16:25:50

I don't think people expect more when they are pre-school age. We didn't do any more games when DD was 2 but we did the hokey cokey as well when she was 3! I find the time seems to go quite quickly and if its a 2 hour party then by the time they've had a play and a game or two and tea then it's time to go!
This year when DD is 4 we might try a pin the tail on the donkey style game or musical bumps maybe, see how I feel at the time!! I usually overplan, because its better to have too much than too little!
Hope you have a fun time (and the kids too grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now