3yo party from 2-4pm - do I need to do tea?

(7 Posts)
rak5a Thu 07-Mar-13 11:22:10

Having a birthday party in a village hall for fourteen 3yo's and seven 1yo's (siblings). I thought if I planned it for 2-4pm I would safely be after lunch and before tea. I was planning on having a 'snack table' with crisps, breadsticks, fruit, mini sausage rolls and drinks that they could help themselves to throughout. Is that acceptable? Or will people expect me to serve a proper 'tea'? I am friends with 80% of the mums so will happily discuss the fact I'm just serving snacks, but I don't really know the parents of a few of them. I just feel like the parties we have been to, firstly have been a bit later (3-5pm) and secondly, when the 'tea' was served it was not very fully embraced by the hyped up kids and much of it ended up as a mess. I'd rather focus the time on party games and general merriment. But please do advise if I'm committing a major kids' party faux pas!!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-Mar-13 11:31:10

I've never been to a party, at anytime, when they children didn't all sit down together and eat something and then sing happy birthday.

givemeaclue Thu 07-Mar-13 11:38:31

Yes, turn the snack into a tea. They won'Eat a lot but it doesn't matter

christinarossetti Thu 07-Mar-13 11:38:58

With those ages, I would suggest a designated 'snack time' where they all stop activities and sit down to eat, maybe about 3pm? Then a bit more running around, cake, happy birthday and home before the sugar hits too hard?

Letting pre-schoolers and toddlers help themselves to snacks and drinks throughout will be chaos imvhe.

Doesn't have to be a full 'tea' though.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-Mar-13 11:50:13

They will probably only eat a couple of mimi sausages, some crisps and a cake anyway but the mess will be much more contained if they are sitting down smile

rak5a Thu 07-Mar-13 13:54:11

OK, point taken (glad I asked!). I will skip the snack table and instead do a little picnic with same items and some sandwiches. Followed by jelly and cake! Will actually probably be a good opportunity for a 'rest' in between the mayhem. Thanks for the advice!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-Mar-13 13:55:50

At that age I used to put on some snacks and a glass of wine for the parents too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now