Shirley's party advice part 5 - Here to Help - come and say Hi

(954 Posts)
Blatherskite Thu 28-Feb-13 12:54:01

Didn't notice we'd gotten to the end of the thread!

Get your dine with me mates to come but bring a dish each. When is it?

That tinkerbell looks very effective - all you would need is one of these.

Looking at Blathers' '1', I would do it as you have described - but if you wanted to cover it in fondant instead of buttercream, then once covered, I would leave it to dry, and then paint the area you want sprinkles on with some water before putting them on - any spillage should brush off the dry parts of the fondant easily. With a shaped tin, I would definitely bake one cake and slice it to put in filling.

After some to-ing and fro-ing, the potter is confirmed for DD's party. Now I need a cake (not a potter's wheel cos he's not going to bring it in the end - too many DC).

Blathers - if it is nearly your birthday, then it is nearly mine too grin. I told DH and DC (half joking) that I was looking forward to my surprise party and now poor DD is stressing because she can't get her father organised grin

Blatherskite Thu 09-May-13 10:33:41

It's on bank holiday Monday DW.

A surprise party would be lovely but DH is rubbish so that will never happen. The best I can hope for is getting him to arrange his parents to babysit so that we can go out. I must remember to ask him...

Hmmm, pottery cake... You've done a table full of stuff so that's out. Maybe a wonky pottery jug cake? Maybe.... Oooh, I'm stuck. Perhaps this is the year to ditch the themed cake and just do something pretty? Do the polka dot cake with your cake pop maker?

Suprise party is about as likely to happen for me as it is for you, Blathers, believe me. We have booked a lunch just for the 4 of us for the week after when the DC are on half term, but DS starts school exams on my birthday so will no doubt be stressing over the weekend before, so I have very low expectations.

A non - themed cake shock? Surely we cannot be so easily defeated grin.

here

Some kind of technique like this would cry out for your airbrushing!!! Are you sure we can't do potters wheel?

DW your googling skills are clearly way better than mine smile. All I could find was Harry Potter or pottery painting.

I was thinking about a tiered cake - so a bit like your first link, scattered with pots of paint, brushes, little clay pots and animals, etc. They are going to make animals, and a collaborative coil pot which will be for DD.

jetstar Thu 09-May-13 12:14:44

Fantastic! Thanks everyone!

So No1 cake will be baked in mould and then sliced in half. Buttercream in the middle (plain). Covered all over in pink buttercream. Sprinkles of some kind on top. Decorative edging (could be the hard part - will need practise) Candle. Done! How long do you think it will take me? All day probably!!

I'm planning to start Tinkerbell party planning after DD2 birthday and after our holiday in June. Do you see what I did there? Planning when to start planning wink I like that cake and might be able to manage it! I do lots of baking e.g. cupcakes etc but haven't ever attempted a 'showstopper challenge' cake.

Hope you get some sleep soon Blathers

Blatherskite Thu 09-May-13 13:04:44

All you need for the decorative edging is a cheap piping bag with a star nozzle and either some white buttercream or shhhh a tub of frosting bought from a supermarket blush

An hour to make the cake, half an hour to cool while you make the butter cream, fill, frost and decorate. 3 hours max.

Oooor if you're scared of piping get sugarpaste and make little balls/pearls/twisted rope and put that on as edging.

another pottery cake with airbrushing!!!!

Get that gadget out stealth!!

I have played with the airbrush, and plan to use it for village Bake off entry (Overkill? Definitely. Do I care? Nope).

Yes!! Storm the village with a mammoth creation!!

Blatherskite Thu 09-May-13 13:41:21

Anyone else really wanting to turn up at the village bake off just to watch stealth trounce the opposition grin

grin there will be a lot certain amount of politics involved, as the judge is the pub landlord and has a living to make that is my excuse and I am sticking to it

Blatherskite Thu 09-May-13 16:17:23

I'm sure you'll win out anyway stealth

I have good news! Remember those vouchers I won on here ages ago? DH has agreed that I don't need to save them to buy something sensible and can get the MagiMix I've been lusting after for years! But which one shall I get?

What do you mainly want it to do?

Blatherskite Thu 09-May-13 16:33:36

I've got both of the Jamie Oliver 30 min and 15 min cook books so I want it for doing those mostly. He uses them for everything from quick chopping/grating to making mayonnaise and pastry. Our favourite recipe is the Pregnant Jools Patsa one where he uses it to grate the carrots, onions and celery and chop and mix the sausages in.

Oh nice a magimix. Ive got a kenwood. I used my last one religiously til dh helpfully clipped in the bowl n snapped off the connectors n killed it. He got me a new one at easter but its not had an outing yet because it doesnt feel like mine!

Off to check out magimix. My mil has one, shes offered it to me as its not been used but it didnt seem to have as much gubbins as my dead kenwood.

Blatherskite Thu 09-May-13 16:39:57

I suppose it doesn't necessarily have to be a Magimix if something else has more gadgets is better grin

I shall have a browse and see if I can spot ours - or its equivalent, given that it is about 15 years old!

Blatherskite Thu 09-May-13 17:33:24

I think this is my favourite Magimix so far. Need to compare it with Kenwoods.

Is that the same as this? - cos that seems to be the new version of ours.

Blatherskite Thu 09-May-13 18:22:13

Yes. That's the same one

Definitely recommend it then. The only problem we had was that the bowls didn't like going in the dishwasher and would go brittle and the tabs would snap off. I don't know if they have improved the plastic or if we have a better dishwasher, but the latest bowl has been going for years. Oh, and I killed a drive spindle trying to get it to blend colour into fondant - but the great joy of Magimix is that they are designed to be fixed and the spares are easy to get - I ordered the spare part and fitted it no problem.

Blatherskite Thu 09-May-13 18:57:44

I'm derailing the thread again so have started a new one here

I like the sound of replaceable bits though. That's the beauty of the KitchenAid, because they're relatives of the kit the professionals use, they tend to be fixable when things go wrong and they have lots of add on gadgets to buy too grin

jetstar Mon 13-May-13 06:18:34

Resisting the urge to google kitchenaid attachments... I know I will 'need' some if I know what they are. I LOVE my kitchenaid but only have the basic package so far

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now