Shirley's party advice part 5 - Here to Help - come and say Hi

(954 Posts)
Blatherskite Thu 28-Feb-13 12:54:01

Didn't notice we'd gotten to the end of the thread!

Kit even.

Morning. How are the various poorly girls this morning?

I didn't dare say yesterday that we had to drag children out of bed at 10am in order to get to PIL for lunch (may have had something to do with how early they were up to follow egg trails on Sunday hmm). They are still asleep now, too - 10 mins and I am going to have to wake them as DD has a tennis thingy to get to.

Welovegrapes Tue 02-Apr-13 09:55:10

Hope ill girls are feeling a bit better this morning.

So much good party advice - thank you!! Will read and reply when I have a break from work.

Well you wont believe this, dd1 was happily asleep then woke up at about 9 crying for me. Went to bed early and finally got back off with her at around 11. At 2am dd2 was screaming the house down with a temp of 39.9 and wouldnt go to dh. She then woke dd1 who screamed at being itchy but only wanted mummy. Dd2 wouldnt be put down so i threw the windows open with her in my arms in a nappy under a sheet on window side, dd1 on the otherside saying she was cold! I had to sit awake with dd2 in my arms whilst she dozed. Dh went to bed in dd1s bed. So now im doing a blathers and i'm down on two nights sleep now. Dd1 i have got colouring having had a bicarb bath.

Ive sent dh for virasoothe and a set of hama beads as i reckon keeping her hands busy might help stop her scratching. And shes hankered after the dreaded things for months. Dd2 is in bed again so hopefully she'll pick up a bit. Me - im not even dressed yet.

However, my popcorn stuff has arrived stealth!! It looks truly revolting thank you. I read the ingrediants and its soybean oil with artificial flavour coloured with betacaratene. Thats hideous aint it? Blathers will balk at it. Not to mention the powder that contains all manner if chemicals. I heart you stealth thanks

Oh no! Well, I guess on the bright side you will be getting it all over in one go... My DC clearly did chicken pox mildly as I don't recall much trauma - just guilt because the day before DS produced spots he had been playing with the visiting grandchildren of a very lovely restaurant owner in France, where we were on holiday blush - suffice to say that we didn't go back there - and I learned (or remembered) the French for Chicken Pox (Varicelle, should you ever need to know). DD just managed to co-incide hers with one of DS's parties. After much debate, I contacted all the guests and established that they had all had it and didn't mind poxy girl being there.

Was the popcorn gunk what you were expecting? I ended up in a fairly small Safeway in the end, and those were the only 2 options they had. Sorry I didn't answer your text, BTW - we have no mobile signal at home at the moment or for the next week sad[twitch] so I only see texts when I go out and then don't really have time to reply.

No problem. Its just what i wanted. I messaged to say let me know the details so i can paypal you the money. Xxxx

Poor dd has been using a jug of water when she wees as shes sore and asked me to check. Shes got blisters all in her bits and its heartbreaking really as im powerless to help her other than be on jug duty and cream. Poor little monkey shes being really brave. I dread those ones breaking open as shes gonna be shrieking isnt she.

Blatherskite Tue 02-Apr-13 16:45:22

When did I become the healthy eating queen? I'm usually OK with a few additives but that stuff does sound vile.

II woke up this morning when DD came in to find DH still in bed. I thought he was late for work but it turns out that he's booked 3 days off smile We've been swimming this afternoon and now DD is asleep in bed as it's worn her out. Too much too soon I think blush

Since you only eat butter as its not been "messed with".

How lovely to have time with dh! Thatsxso sweet. My dh is off til monday and we cant even get stuff done in the garden or anything as both kids just crying to be cuddled etc. i'd send him back to work but i need the help blush

My DD officially hates me this afternoon. I am fed up (in general) with people telling her things are OK when she has put about 10% effort in ("bright but lazy" fits her to a tee), so when she made almost no effort whatsoever to tidy her room I said no, it wasn't good enough, and that she wasn't having her friend over to play tomorrow unless she pulled her finger out (I paraphrase) and did it properly. Cue massive tantrum (from DD, not me, although I did feel like it).

Am I a cruel and nasty mother? Am I expecting too much of a 6yo to be able to pick up assorted books/bags/soft toys/jigsaw pieces and put them where they belong? I did send DS up to try and help her, but he got screamed at too sad

Blatherskite Tue 02-Apr-13 17:15:56

It's true that we only have proper butter as I read it's better for you that uber-processed marg - and your popcorn goo - but we also occasionally have McDonalds so I'm no Gwyneth Paltrow!

DS would also have a mega tantrum if I asked him to tidy his room and would end up putting 2 things away and then just playing. I don't think you're being harsh though, they should be able to do it at this age even if thy won't

Well at 4 i make dd tidy the playroom. If i asked her to do it herself she'd have a complete meltdown but if i potter in there and say put the happyland in its box, she'll do it. Put the blocks back in baby dd's wagon she can do it. But she has to have me to guide her like tidy up time at playschool. But i do make her do it like a sargent major!

Blathers this goo is orange!! orange!!! And clearly tells you we've coloured this shit orange like a carrot. In this country they wouldnt bother and then splash across the front "free from artificial colouring". Yes free from colouring that doesnt even need to be in it. Still looking forward to it though. I bet it tastes devine and im begging stealth and her dh to get back stateside!

well she did eventually tidy her room, but I am not sure the tidy room is worth the pain of play date. So far I have been informed that visitor doesn't like sandwiches, and only eats pasta and sauce. Then that the sauce was the wrong sauce. So she ended up eating toast confused. She then announced that she is allergic to grapes (hmm - first I've heard of it, and I have known her all her life). I am counting the minutes.....

Ahhh see now i feel better after i stressed about our visiting child the other day. I found it painful!

Gone. Delivered home - her mother was appalled that she had been fussy grin.

slp123 Wed 03-Apr-13 19:27:42

Colouring sheets for start of party while waiting for everyone to arrive...is this a good idea or should I think of something else??
Mainly 4yr olds, party starts at 11am and entertainer coming 11.15-12.15pm.
Thank you smile

Yes it's a good idea smile

Blatherskite Wed 03-Apr-13 20:37:14

Guess what the DC got today? Playmobil easter eggs! I didn't even know they existed but they're ace. Apparently, the toy shop near you had them on 3 for 2 before Easter DW and they'll probably be cheaper now it's over as it's a different set of 4 every year.

I also took DSis to our crap store for party bargains for DNiece. She got 20 mini trumpets for 50p shock I also got DS a little lego set for 50p and when I had a look on Ebay, they were selling for over £4 each!

Colouring sheets - or something to sticker like the party crowns that went down so well at DD's 3rd (with a lot of 5yos) would be perfect for a slow burn start slp.

I knew they existed, Blathers wink. DC have had them in previous years, but everyone got a lego mini figure this year instead. I got a man in a chicken suit grin

Blatherskite Wed 03-Apr-13 20:50:34

We have a chicken suit man! I like him smile

There's always one we get multiples of. This year it's the orange and white "battle mech" spaceman-looking guy. I think we have 3 so far.

Did you get my text about minifigure swap day blathers? Didnt know if it was any use to you?

I'm just off to bed as three days of both girls waking loads and hanging off me all day, im shattered. But just to say ive eaten popcorn. With "butter flavor oil" and "butter flavor sprinkle"

Bleughhhh i'll stick to normal butter when i've clarified it. Americans clearly have no idea what butter actually tastes like. Dd1 has maple syrup sprinkles that came with the whirleypop. Bleughh. She's got pox inside her mouth so it may not have been a very comfy snack!

Night everyone. shock (thats a yawn)

grin (and a bit sad) at the failure of I-can't-believe-it-tastes-like-butter

Can't you get clarified butter (ghee?) from Asian groceries?

Blatherskite Wed 03-Apr-13 21:13:37

I did thanks but DS tends to give his swaps to his little lego-mad friend and it's a long drive for the few we have left smile There's always a minifigure swap at Legoland if we get desperate.

sad that the American butter stuff was awful though

I have an indian friend i'll get her to do a taste test before i commit this time. But thank you stealth. The "butter" oil did help my salt to stick tho so it wasnt all bad.

Really am off to sleep now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now