Shirley's party advice part 5 - Here to Help - come and say Hi

(954 Posts)
Blatherskite Thu 28-Feb-13 12:54:01

Didn't notice we'd gotten to the end of the thread!

stealthsquiggle Sun 31-Mar-13 09:31:13

Does your bunny come on Monday, then confused? I was creeping round the house at 1am, round the garden at 6am, and being woken up by overexcited DC who had done their own trails and were wating for me to do mine at 7:30am shock <that's a yawning bunny.

DH went to bed at 11pm, and is still there hmm

stealthsquiggle Sun 31-Mar-13 10:38:45

Actually, deferring everything until tomorrow would be a great idea - except that we are going to PIL tomorrow. My simnel cake is still in the oven (smells good, though smile), I have boiled eggs for the DC to decorate, but we haven't done them, and we haven't even started on lunch and I am, literally, a knackered bunny.

I hope various DDs are feeling a bit better.

Tinkerisdead Sun 31-Mar-13 11:48:22

Ah no sorry stealth I posted at around 3am or something lying in dd's bed so I said tomorrow but it was actually Easter wasn't it! No the bunny has put their chocolate eggs in their rooms but later he'll have laid a trail to their gifts with the fillable eggs. Dd1 has playmobil, squinkies, hair clips etc in red for big school and chock leading to a double jogger pram. Dd2 has socks and happy land figures and choc leading to a grobag and duvet set for when she's bigger. Because they slept til the sunshine.

Dh says he's dying (hangover)and I'm now making blatherslamb and dauphinoise. Everything else is outta packet which I never ever ever do but I've been mega busy. Yoda/mum will arrive soon hmm

Blatherskite Sun 31-Mar-13 18:07:13

Our trail only just got done as I am super sleep deprived thanks to DD being poorly. She's not. She slept for almost 14 hours between 4pm and almost 8am this morning with only a half hour awake but I couldn't make the most of it as we were having dinner at a friends house so we were out late and I now have hungover to add to my woes.

I managed to organise the clues before we went out and laid the trail before I went to bed last night but obviously did it badly as each child spotted a hiding place before we even got going.

We've been to lunch as MILs today which was good as the glass in my oven door exploded yesterday while I was pyro cleaning the oven so I couldn't have cooked anything. The red hot broken glass has also burned holes in the flooring so I was ready to cry yesterday.

I have done 25 Parkruns so far so have another 25 to go to get my tshirt. It'll never happen if I keep missing them though and I was just too tired to go yesterday.

stealthsquiggle Sun 31-Mar-13 18:15:04

If ikea won't pay out for oven and floor, will your insurance?

I seem to have invited lots of people (well, 3 adults and 4DC,might up it to 5 adults and 7 DC) for next Friday. shock. We have also entered the great village Bake off - in late May - so I need your best ideas for savoury pie, sweet pie, cake and bread/scones. (and ditto for the DC to make, with small cakes /traybake instead of the bread)

Blatherskite Sun 31-Mar-13 18:23:36

The oven is still within warranty so they should repair it. I have a horrible feeling that the door probably cracked because it overheated though and they'll fix the issue by telling me never to use the pyro clean function again which will be really annoying. I've been reading up on the internet and it seems like a common problem and this is the usual "fix".

I need to phone Whirlpool on Tuesday and get the a repair man out to look at it.

IKEA seem to think Whirlpool will be liable for the floor but I'm betting it's not going to be that easy.

I make a cracking focaccia that might work as your bread. MIL made an absolutely gorgeous treacle tart today too, would that work as a sweet pie?

stealthsquiggle Sun 31-Mar-13 18:31:48

Focaccia sounds good, but is it visually showy-off enough?

I thought I might do that pear tart for sweet pie - what do you think?

stealthsquiggle Sun 31-Mar-13 18:34:59

I would certainly have a good go at getting new floor from whirlpool IIWY. DS managed to drop and smash a cast iron Le Creuset pan today, miraculously without cracking the floor tiles. He was so upset - I had to do the "don't bother crying over things that can't cry over you" speech.

Blatherskite Sun 31-Mar-13 18:39:30

It did get a lot of "oohs" when I brought it out but if you want proper visually show off-y I'd go for one of those mega-plaited cholla with the super shiney glaze a la GBBO.

The Pear and Frangipane tart looked good too (and tasted even better) but the pastry went very dark - as it was supposed to according to the reviews of the recipe - and did look borderline burnt even though it tasted good.

Blatherskite Sun 31-Mar-13 18:41:53

I'm amazed I managed not to cry yesterday. We spent almost £200 having the washing machine fixed last week plus another £130 replacing my straighteners and only last month we spent a fortune fixing the car. Oh, and the leg had fallen off the table earlier in the day too. Everything seems to be breaking at the moment and it's all costing a fortune to fix. Feeling very out of control.

stealthsquiggle Sun 31-Mar-13 18:48:16

I know that feeling - it all piles on sometimes. This one really shouldn't cost you anything, though.

I had thought about plaited loaf. I need to try it, I think. My other concern about Focaccia would be that it wouldn't appreciate sitting around waiting to be judged - doesn't it really want to be eaten straight from the oven?

Blatherskite Sun 31-Mar-13 19:10:21

It shouldn't but I keep remembering the arguments with IKEA from when the kitchen got fitted which often left me in tears and then dreading what's to come. We ended up emailing anyone at IKEA that we could find an email address for online last time before anything got sorted.

Yes, focaccia is definitely better absolutely fresh. Plaited cholla would last better I think - or a Panettone? Paul Hollywood did a take on one that looked lovely on the GBBO Masterclass program.

stealthsquiggle Sun 31-Mar-13 19:26:26

sad. Hopefully since it's purely about the oven it will be with Whirlpool, not IKEA. Mind you, are they the same people as zanussi? I think it was their engineer who managed to bully me into paying for an extended warranty when it was clearly a warranty fault - but I got my money back by saying he intimidated me into it (which he did, to my embarrassment).

Panettone - that's an interesting thought. It lasts well, too. The idea is that the village eats all the entries for lunch after the judging.

Blatherskite Sun 31-Mar-13 19:34:15

I think the oven fix should be straightforward but I'll bet that there's a lot of buck passing with regards to who's responsible for the floor.

I usually don't like Panettone as I find it really dry but the GBBO one looked softer and more moist and I really fancied trying it. The recipe is here

stealthsquiggle Sun 31-Mar-13 19:56:56

Any bright ideas for show-stopping savoury pie?

Blatherskite Sun 31-Mar-13 20:10:47

I'm not really a pie kind of girl. If I had to eat one, I'd probably pick chicken and mushroom. I bought the Hairy Bikers pie book for DBro and his GF for christmas. It's had good reviews.

stealthsquiggle Sun 31-Mar-13 20:25:38

I was wondering about a coubliac.

Blatherskite Sun 31-Mar-13 20:29:31

Had to google that. Would you go traditional bread casing or Delia Puff Pastry?

stealthsquiggle Sun 31-Mar-13 20:35:54

Definitely pastry, but fish-shaped, with scales.

Blatherskite Sun 31-Mar-13 20:48:48

Sounds like fun. Would definitely be different

Tinkerisdead Sun 31-Mar-13 22:50:29

Evening all.

Loving all the food chat. (Jamie did a wills n Kate pie that looked nice)

Blathers I'm horrified about your oven. I had a whirlpool oven in my old house (the one I owned) I can't imagine how shaken that would have left me.

I'm just popping in to say Easter food was immense - superb lamb. But it seems for Easter we have "chick chick chick chick chicken, give a little pox to meeee"

Well not me but dd1 and she is not doing well. The spots came out at 5.30 and already has two in her bits that have burst/been scratch and she's in agony. Then she hallucinated from fever etc. brought the fever down and she's had a frube and some squash and dozing in my bed again. But Sod's law poor dh booked this week off for family days out etc and now we're house bound sad

stealthsquiggle Sun 31-Mar-13 22:55:45

Oh no, DW - poor DD sad . I highly recommend antihistamines for the itching, though.

Koubliac - like this - what do you think?

Tinkerisdead Sun 31-Mar-13 23:18:17

I hate salmon. But I want to eat that!!!

Blatherskite Mon 01-Apr-13 08:57:16

Oh no! Not Easter pox! Neither of mine have had it yet and I'm dreading it. Can one of you pop out for some calamine ointment today to stop the spots itching so much? I hope she recovers quickly.

We got our first full night's sleep last night so hopefully DD is feeling better too. The main symptoms of whatever she's got seem to be a spiking temperature and feeling so grotty you cry all the time and it's been 4 difficult days. She's supposed to be going to her best friends birthday party today and it would be a shame to miss it.

Glad the lamb was good DW.

The oven is triple glazed and thankfully it was the innermost pane of glass which exploded so the little shards fell back into the oven and down out of the newly made gap created by the pane being missing so most of the glass stayed within 6 inches of the oven itself. I think the bits that went further must have rolled but we were all in the lounge so no-one saw. Had we been in the kitchen, we would have been OK assuming no-one tried to touch the red hot shards of glass on the floor. Not 'safe' but not as dangerous as it initially sounds.

Tinkerisdead Mon 01-Apr-13 11:04:03

Glad you finally got some sleep, i can sympathise i think i slept for an hour 45 mins in snatched moments last night. I've wished for chicken pix as was really keen we had it before school. I was bloody jubiliant when the spots came out but actually its horrendous.

Dd is so so upset, she obviously feels crap but with a pain to attribute it to she just sobs and sobs saying "i dont know what to do". My friend brought some eurax lotion last night so i dabbed that all over her but last night her fever was at 39.8 all night and i couldnt get it down she was screaming with a headache getting delirious and hallucinating. I rang ooh dr and he said it'll be the fever. Finally got that down at anout 5am. This morning shes spent an hour in a bath of bicarb of soda and more lotion and dh has gone on a trip for calamine. She just cries and cries and its heartbreaking. Whats worse is knowing its gonna hit dd2 for sure and we wont be able to articulate the problem with her. So far dd1 is eating smarties whimpering to herself.

Yes, our easter dinner was sooo good. The lamb i kept eating off the board, dauphinoise with cheese on top, parsnips in maple syrup. Profiteroles (packet after i burnt the easter choc cake) and cheese board. But dd1 kept crying (obviously didnt know that pox were coming) and i lost my rag saying you've had everything today and your acting spoilt now, let me eat my dinner please!!!! I feel shit for that now.

Really hope you get to the party blathers. Enjoy the bank holiday whilst im subjected to beebies and dora!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now