40th birthday party 15 to 20 guests is it worth it?

(7 Posts)
georgeclooneyfan Mon 14-Jan-13 18:17:27

I will be 40 at end of March and my dh keeps asking me what I want to do.I sometimes think I would like a party but I worry that I wouldnt have enough guests think I would have about 15 to 20 .I worry that the guests may be bored or is it better to have a smaller amount?, it would be near school hols as well so some people may be away. I,would be looking at doing it at my house which is bungalow and isnt very big,or do I hire out a hall etc for this amount? i was thinking of an 80s theme. I could have a sit down meal with just my family instead which would only be 6 or so or maybe just escape with my dh and kids somewhere,combine it into easter holidays, any ideas or advice would be great tia.

LadyBigtoes Mon 14-Jan-13 18:23:35

There are lots of options - go out for a nice dinner with the 15-20 people, or something like a gig or club (whatever is your thing), or just have a posh dinner with family and go for a weekend spa break with girlfriends?

I wouldn't have a party at my own house as it would make me really stressed, but if you like hosting it would be ok. But it might be nicer to do something where you don't have to prepare and clean up yourself.

I was pregnant and had morning sickness on my 40th - I was secretly relieved to get out of having to do anything!

georgeclooneyfan Mon 14-Jan-13 18:36:51

Thanks for the ideas LadyBigtoes,I agree that having it at my house would probably put extra pressure on me as the host.I would worry to much if everyone was getting on with everyone etc and then it becomes less enjoyable. So I am beginning to think that going away may be the answer and like you say you don't have to do the cleaning up which is always a good thing.

UngratefulWitch Wed 23-Jan-13 17:37:21

OP - are you and your DH paying for the whole event?

I'm going to be 40 about the same time as you and want to celebrate but am not sure what to do. I'm torn between party with cheesy 80s music, celebratory dinner or spa break.Maybe I should do all 3!

I definitely don't want to do anything that involves me setting up/clearing up afterwards....

georgeclooneyfan Wed 23-Jan-13 21:33:14

Hi ungratefulWitch thanks for replying I am just in the middle of trying to make up a possible guest list not sure I can muster up 20 people though. Yes my dh and I would be paying,thats why I thought if I go for the party do it at home just a bit nervous that if 15 or 20 came I wouldnt have enough room.I think all 3 of your ideas sound to me you should do all 3 your only 40 once as people keep telling me,it is hard to decide though isnt it good luck

Googlella Fri 25-Jan-13 09:49:54

It depends who your friends are. You could perhaps have a couple of smaller celebrations:- a family meal and a girls' night out or a girls' afternoon tea for example.

Some of our local hotels do disco nights where you book a table for your guests and share the entertainment with other hen nights, work dos etc.

The main thing is you do something that YOU will look forward to and enjoy. Have a great time whatever you decide.

Googlella Fri 25-Jan-13 09:50:25

It depends who your friends are. You could perhaps have a couple of smaller celebrations:- a family meal and a girls' night out or a girls' afternoon tea for example.

Some of our local hotels do disco nights where you book a table for your guests and share the entertainment with other hen nights, work dos etc.

The main thing is you do something that YOU will look forward to and enjoy. Have a great time whatever you decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now