Halloween trick-or-treating for 8 year olds

(18 Posts)
Glenshee Sat 03-Nov-12 23:26:42

It went well, thank you. Everyone was so kind, and kids were so proud of themselves!

One set of neighbours even invited us in for a glass of juice/wine and a chat after the show which was very sweet of them!..

GooseyLoosey Wed 31-Oct-12 08:17:30

Hope it all goes well tonight whatever you decide to do.

Glenshee Wed 31-Oct-12 00:10:08

GooseyLoosey - no one else here though. We will be the only ones.

Glenshee Wed 31-Oct-12 00:08:45

All good advice, thanks. Learning something new every day smile

nappyaddict Tue 30-Oct-12 21:14:04

I think a quick joke/rhyme/song with actions is probably the way to go. Something that takes about 30 seconds.

Floralnomad Tue 30-Oct-12 11:55:31

I'd rather not watch other people's kids performing anything , even if I know them . Personally I am just an open the door ,give them the sweets and shut the door quickly person- especially as all my heat escapes and its a bloody nuisance stopping the dog from escaping.

GooseyLoosey Tue 30-Oct-12 11:52:06

I would find that too much. I have over 100 kids knocking on my door. I just want them to be polite, take the sweets and go away.

I guess it depends on your relationship with these people but I am really struggling to see when I would enjoy a puppet show on my door step (even from my own kids it would be a trial).

Glenshee Tue 30-Oct-12 11:49:09

We're not just going randomly though, it's for people we know (and they know kids).

Glenshee Tue 30-Oct-12 11:47:51

Haha! Thanks for the reality check :-)

BleepingSooty Tue 30-Oct-12 10:23:10

I agree. 5 minutes is way too long!! You'll drive people crazy.

How about a quick magic trick?

nappyaddict Tue 30-Oct-12 10:17:43

I think 5 minutes might be a bit long. I know I'd get fed up if I had to stand at the door for 5 mins for every trick or treater.

Glenshee Mon 29-Oct-12 13:15:38

Thanks all for the ideas and inspiration!

We have decided to prepare a 5-min long puppet show about three little pigs - with halloween-themed modifications to the script. Kids are excited, rehearsals planned for today and tomorrow smile

Glenshee Sat 27-Oct-12 21:42:14

Excellent - that's something! Thanks for the replies.

// In the thinking mode...

Beamur Sat 27-Oct-12 18:30:28

Make a joke for them to play on your neighbours - weird feeling stuff in a box that you have to put your hand on is where we're going this year.

vodkaanddietirnbru Sat 27-Oct-12 18:28:49

mine tell a joke when trick or treating (google halloween jokes, there are plenty about)

nappyaddict Sat 27-Oct-12 17:13:59

If they are ok singers get them to sing a song.

If they are good dancers they could sing and dance or perform a dance to a recorded song using portable speakers.

If they arrn't good at singing or dancing they could write and recite a poem or tell jokes.

Glenshee Fri 26-Oct-12 21:06:46

bump

Glenshee Fri 26-Oct-12 11:58:36

We were always trick-or-treating with my kids and until now all we were doing was dressing up, knocking at the door and 'scaring' our neighbours with a loud 'boo!' and lots of laughter. This would be a group of 6-8 children, my kids and their friends. (Neighbours were notified in advance and were always lovely to the kids).

My kids are now 8 and 5 and it seems silly to carry on like this. I would like them to make more of an effort, perhaps create little souvenirs for neighbours or perform a mini-play for them, or something along those lines....

Any tips or ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now