Reception parties - how to avoid faux pas!?

(6 Posts)
3duracellbunnies Thu 11-Oct-12 18:28:48

If you are able to stand next to her in the playground you could have a moan about all the things which went missing which should have been given out that week and that you don't know what else she might have missed. Then maybe invite the child for a play date sometime.

Do bear in mind though that children with sept/oct birthdays often have small parties in reception and then bigger parties in yr1 as it is hard for parents to know who to invite as it is often a different friend each day.

purplehouse Thu 11-Oct-12 17:34:03

Yes, I would apologise if an invitation made an appearance. However, the reception classroom is a little chaotic. I have never seen so much stuff crammed into one room so it could be lost for years grin. The classroom doubles as a cloakroom and changing room as well as everything else.

Flojo1979 Thu 11-Oct-12 17:29:47

I found an invite in my DS book bag (that he found at theft bottom of his tray that day) a week after another child's party, I still rang the number on it and apologised for not letting her know either way!

onceortwice Thu 11-Oct-12 17:23:28

I've never understood that. In my DD's school, we all text or email each other, but that's private. DS is in state, but I don't have anything to do with any of the other parents so who knows how they communicate. Only a matter of days now before I take DS out anyway!!!

Surely it would be best to contact the teacher? They must have been asked to pop a note in each book back (or selective book bags?)

I agree that you would want to find a middle way with being rude or looking desperate for an invite.

Unless you have reason to believe the entire class except for your dd has been invited then I wouldn't say anything

purplehouse Thu 11-Oct-12 17:18:49

Dd was ill and had entire week off reception. So far, I don't really know the other parents well.

I know that 2 school notes that came home loose in book bags went missing because her teacher chased me up on these two things wondering why I hadn't done them. I feel that a party invite sent through school may have gone missing but don't know how to ask the mum without being rude. Birthday child is friendly with my child, mum told me they liked playing together. I couldn't give a fig either way whether dd is invited, dd is not aware anyway so it doesn't matter at all if she's not invited. However it does matter if the other mum thinks I m rude and haven't bothered replying. Wwyd? How can I put it so that she doesn't think I'm begging for an invite ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now