I'm organising my own 40th.....

(13 Posts)

Good idea.

Panadbois Tue 25-Sep-12 09:07:20

I'm going to call my friend tonight and put her in charge of games [cruel grin]

I did mean the wine as a gesture, rather than funding an all nighter!
Could you do old school pass the parcel with proper forfeits and only one prize in the middle?
Or the chocolate game (the one with gloves, hat, scarf and gloves and a big bar of chocolate with a knife and fork)?
Or any other retro party games? Musical chairs, pin the tail on the donkey.
I would have fun doing this, but then I am a bit of a big kid (although it's my 40th in Jan)

Panadbois Mon 24-Sep-12 16:15:25

30 of the guests will be adults. Maybe 8 of these will be driving. (Too far for taxis) Leaves 22 who might drink wine. I think 8 bottles will be enough, I'm not paying for their wine all night!

To be fair, they know I'm skint so won't be expecting any wine at all.

Thank you for taking time to help me smile

mumblechum1 Mon 24-Sep-12 13:34:56

Retro sweet buffet sounds fab!

On the wine side, we just hosted a dinner for my mum's birthday - 12 adults, and we got through 2 bottles of champage, beers, 4 bottles of red and 4 white.

So if there are 20-odd people coming and assuming that some will be getting taxis I think you should budget for 2 bottles of wine for every 3 guests.

Any that isn't opened you won't be charged for.

Panadbois Mon 24-Sep-12 13:16:13

I have a mixed group of family and friends coming, mostly game for a laugh. My own DK are 12 and 14, there will be my nieces, 15,13, 8, and friends kids , 7, 7, 13, 14, 14, 6 and a 17 month old baby.

The hotel has now moved us into a bigger function room, and will set up tables to suit....... Any ideas?

Mostly everyone will be driving as I have chosen a venue half way from where I live and where they live. So, six bottle of wine? Three of each? Or six of each with an option to return unopened ones. I shall have to work it out with the manager I think.

I have booked a retro sweet buffet, which will be a free for all after eating grin

(((((and what to wear? One for the S&B section I think)))))

i would definitely put some wine on as everyone is paying for their own food.
Are your friends quite game for a laugh??
What are the ages of the kids?
How long have you got the room for?

Panadbois Fri 21-Sep-12 15:35:31

Bump

Panadbois Fri 21-Sep-12 09:27:57

Undecided! It would be no problem buying 3 for £10 at Asda, but would have to see if the hotel could do me a deal.

Was thinking of a sweet table that would go down well with the kids, and am also buying my own cake, which I'm going to order today. (thinking 40 cupcakes on a stand)

Will you put some wine on the tables?

Panadbois Fri 21-Sep-12 09:19:48

Cool idea!!! Love it!

jkklpu Fri 21-Sep-12 09:16:35

Is anyone helping you? Can you ask your dp/best friend/a sibling to write a funny story about you with 40 blanks where you'd expect adjectives. When everyone arrives at the party, the friend asks each person for an adjective and they're slotted into the story in that order. Then, before pudding or at some point, the friend reads out the story which will have lots of incongruous descriptions. Works really well if the story name-checks everyone present.

Panadbois Fri 21-Sep-12 09:11:46

I had planned a big party, live band etc but had to be realistic and cancel as I couldn't afford it.

So plan B is a sit down meal in a nice hotel, private room, for 40 friends and family, who've all said they would come and pay for their own meals. :-)

So, what can I do as entertainment? I'm guessing they will let me take an ipod for music, but there won't be space for dancing. I've bought little party cards from tesco but haven't looked at them properly yet.

Any ideas on what would go down with teens/ adults, different background, that we can do sitting around tables? A quiz maybe? Maybe give everyone a number and get everyone to sit on a table with that number (to mix everyone up and to share the brains!) How would you feel about taking part in something like that?

Oh and, HHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPP

Thanks grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now