This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material.

Advent calendar Equality

(17 Posts)
1DAD2KIDS Sat 29-Oct-16 21:02:03

I have a DD aged 5 and a DS age 1. Now my DD would like a Lego Advent calendar. I am happy to get her one but what about the boy? I have seen they do a Playmobil 123 range advent calendar, that would be perfect for him. But then I think my girl know what she wants and will enjoy making the Lego. My little boy frankly would be happy with a normal chocolate one at a fraction of the cost. Plus we already have so much Playmobil and all he wants to do is play with his sisters toys anyway. At 1 1/2 would my boy really notice if his sister got Lego and he got a piece of chocolate? AIBU and dam right tight if I got say her a £25 Lego advent calendar and him say a £1 chocolate this year? Obviously next year I will have to get them both equivalent.

HorridHenrietta2 Sat 29-Oct-16 21:10:51

He won't know or care and would probably prefer chocolate. I'd save the whole equality issue until they're old enough to know the difference.

FeelingSmurfy Sat 29-Oct-16 21:14:13

As long as he gets something I think it's fine at that age

AuditAngel Sat 29-Oct-16 21:19:34

I'd only worry when they will notice. I got DD1 a make-up advent calendar from Wilkinson for £5 (half price). I got DD2 the same to avoid dramas. DS isn't bothered (he's 12) and said not to get him one, I looked today but am not struck by anything

AndNowItsSeven Sat 29-Oct-16 21:20:33

What topic is this?

Meadows76 Sat 29-Oct-16 21:20:55

I don't do equality. I do what they would like and what suits them best. One of mine doesn't get a calendar at all as he isn't interested. One gets chocolate and the other 2 have Lego and hot wheels

AndNowItsSeven Sat 29-Oct-16 21:22:14

My will be 20 month old is getting the happyland calendar, he would definitely notice.

dlwelly Sat 29-Oct-16 21:23:30

I couldn't do it! I've just bought the toot toot advent calendar for my one year old if you're looking for an alternative?

irregularegular Sat 29-Oct-16 21:29:02

II'd be more worried that she would want his choc! Honestly I don't think equality of expenditure matters at all so long as they are both happy. He won't know.

My two have always shared an advent calendar anyway - and feel a bit deprived because it's not a chocolate one.

Nzou1050 Sat 29-Oct-16 21:33:08

Is there any chance your DD would feel hard done by not getting chocolate (not suggesting she would be) but if she sees her little brother having chocolate is she also likely to want some? To answer the question though I don't think it really matters, at another point in time he may be the one getting the more expensive version of something because that suits his needs at the time.

Believeitornot Sat 29-Oct-16 21:34:26

Equality doesn't have to be equal in value.

He doesn't even need one. He's 1!

Loulou2kent Sat 29-Oct-16 21:34:52

I was thinking the same thing. My 5 year old has the lego one, but my just turned 1 year old wouldn't notice anyway obviously. However he got a happy land set for his bday & ive seen that they do happy land advent calendars so I think I'm going to get him one. However I wouldn't get him one if it wasn't something he would enjoy. ATM he's really enjoying eating the little people so I think it's a good shout.

YANBU to get a £1 chocolate one.

JasperDamerel Sat 29-Oct-16 21:44:23

When DD was one, did she get a Lego advent calendar? Because if DS gets one from babyhood and she had to wait until she was five, that's not equality either. I don't think equality is as important as fairness and respecting each of them as individuals.

1DAD2KIDS Sat 29-Oct-16 22:01:19

DD will be happy with Lego and her brother getting chocolate. He needs to have something because he is switched on enough to notice what she is doing and he always wants to do the same. He would be gutted if his sister got to open something every morning and he didn't get to do the same. I don't want more toys as such because we are already drowning in toys (hence another thread I have). But there is always room for more Lego in my house (best toy ever and I never grew out of it). The good thing about chocolate is it don't take up space once its eaten.

But next year I will need to get him a toy one too. I have looked at the playmobil 123 and the tut tut one (he has both of those toy ranges). I have just been aware of the happy land one by AndNowItsSeven & Loulou2kent. He plays with his sisters old happy land now and then (I have always liked the happy land stuff). So definitely some ideas for next year.

Despite the logic in my head I still cant help but feel a little tight on the boy. Does anyone else get that feeling?

1DAD2KIDS Sat 29-Oct-16 22:06:33

JasperDamerel I am a little troubled with fairness. Because I was looking a toy one suitable for DS age range (like playmobil 123) so he could have a suitable equivalent to DD. I was not proposing they have the same toy as lego would be unsuitable for ds. Its more a case that I think this year I will get away with a chocolate one and help cut down on the toy population.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 29-Oct-16 23:00:30

No it's really not right, I am getting my ds the happyland because he will notice. If I thought I could get away with not getting him one I would grin

AndNowItsSeven Sat 29-Oct-16 23:00:41

Ahh not tight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now