This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material.

how to use nappy rash cream correctly, less is more?

(14 Posts)
eved1981 Mon 27-Jun-16 16:38:45

Hi everyone recently,ive been under scrutiny from my m.i.l shrs always being patronising and she knows best. She moans at me to use nappy creamevery day even when no rash or redness. She tells me to cake it on, leave thick etc. I have tried to say that it should only be a thin layer and my sons skin should be visable through the cream. But im an idiot in her eyes for thinking this, i tried to tell her tje more cream used the more harm it does as the childs bottom will be to damp and unable to breath. Skin needs air to breath and heal. She insists on putting the cream not only all over my son till hes white but she also coats his nappy with the cream. I have said that this will interfer with absorbancy of the nappy. But im treated like an idiot and ignored. Shes a eye nurse so thinks cause shes anurse she knows best. Am i right or is she right. Should i use cream only when needed , should i slab it on thick or rub in, should i put on nappy or not?? Any help please would be appreciated xx

Artandco Mon 27-Jun-16 16:41:48

I never used any cream on either child. None ever had a nappy rash

Nappy rash is caused by leaving wet or pooey nappy on too long. If they are getting rashes they just need to be changed more frequently

MouldyPeach Mon 27-Jun-16 16:45:17

I slather it on but not on the nappy itself as that will affect the absorbency. But you should use as much or as little as you want to on YOUR baby and see what works for you. Is she like this with everything or just nappy cream?

RoganJosh Mon 27-Jun-16 16:48:01

I'm still on the free tiny pot of sudacrem we got when the eldest was born. We only used when they had a rash, which was maybe three or four times.
Is there a reason you're using it every time?

RoganJosh Mon 27-Jun-16 16:50:05

Also, if she's changing the nappy then I think a bit much nappy cream is fine, but you just need to do what you want when you're the one changing it.
Modern nappies take the moisture away from the skin, perhaps 30 years ago more cream was needed.

eved1981 Mon 27-Jun-16 16:53:02

He doesnt get rashs very often, only does when stays with her, i feel its due to over use of cream, she says u cant over use "more cream more barrier" is her thinking is thst wrong i always believed "less is more" when it comes to cream

memyselfandaye Mon 27-Jun-16 16:54:32

The best tip I got was to use egg white.

It really works, it honestly made a difference within a day.

I read it on here 5yrs ago, I used to keep it in the fridge for a couple of days and use it as I needed it, because it was cold it must have taken the sting out of the rash too.

LaurieLemons Mon 27-Jun-16 16:57:49

Yeah you're right too much cream means the skin can't breathe properly so you should only use a thin layer.

MouldyPeach Mon 27-Jun-16 16:58:10

I think it's quite old fashioned to put so much on, from the days of cloth nappies. It won't hurt your baby but that's not the point here is it? You need to stand firm or she'll be trying to override your parenting decisions forever.

MouldyPeach Mon 27-Jun-16 16:59:58

memyself ooh egg white, really? How much and do you have to wait for it to dry? Doesn't it slide off? DD has a rash right now and I'm trying everything!

memyselfandaye Mon 27-Jun-16 17:16:24

Just enough to cover the sore bits, not loads, it dries quite quickly.

Give it a go, it really worked for my son, and I think it's quite a well known remedy, although I had never heard of it!

Artandco Mon 27-Jun-16 17:19:03

A clean nappy means they have a dry bum = less rash chance. A clean nappy but covering in thick cream means a wet moist environment which is good for bacteria

Artandco Mon 27-Jun-16 17:20:29

Best remedy for rash is too leave them nappy free lying on a folded towel as much as possible until it clears ( obviously harder with crawling baby).

eved1981 Mon 27-Jun-16 18:11:13

My son is 2 and in transition for potty training. I only use cream if and when any redness occurs. She is like that with everything always critazing i have another other child aged 4 ( to an ex)so i know what im doing. She phoned up child & family social services and said i was abusing my daughter, she messages me using vile abusive language. And always tries to trouble make within my relationship with her son, im 5weeks pregnant and i dont want to go through the hell i have the last 2 years. Im always wrong at everything i do and if im not she will just make up some ridiculous story about me 😞

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now