This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material.

3 year old and vegetables

(12 Posts)
MrsH1989 Wed 30-Dec-15 18:41:54

Hi all,
I have just been battling with my son in regards to his refusal to eat his carrots. His nurser are pretty insistent that he eats his veg at nursery but I cannot get him to eat them at home and it is really frustrating. I don't want to have to hide it all the time, I want him to eat them willingly but he won't. As it stands I have told him that he will have no treats tomorrow because he won't eat them. I intend to follow through on this and will remind him every time he asks for a biscuit or ice lolly that he cannot have one and why. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you tackle it?

Wolfiefan Wed 30-Dec-15 18:43:33

Why does he specifically have to eat carrots? Does he eat other veg?
I wouldn't say you didn't eat veg so you can't have a sweet treat. We say they can't be hungry so don't need more food.

penguinsarecool Wed 30-Dec-15 18:44:56

I make carrot strips into lil snacks alongside breadsticks. My ds loves his carrots now.

MrsH1989 Wed 30-Dec-15 18:47:33

It doesn't have to be carrots but he will not eat ANY vegetables. When asked which of those I was having, he would like to sample he said carrots. He now won't eat them, doesn't want peas or sweetcorn either. Normally I would leave it and accept he doesn't want it but I do not want him to go through life without eating healthily.

SnozzberryMincePie Wed 30-Dec-15 19:00:12

Will he eat fruit? Dd won't really eat veg but eats lots of fruit so I don't worry too much. I don't want to force her to eat food she hates or make a big deal of it.I think if you force children to eat something they are more likely to grow up still not liking it.

Cel982 Wed 30-Dec-15 19:12:22

Forcing a child to eat something they don't want has never worked, for any parent, ever. Yes, they might eventually eat it if they're bullied into it, but it's not teaching them healthy eating habits, or how to listen to their own body's hunger cues. Eating what someone else tells you to is not a behaviour that should be rewarded or punished, that's a really damaging attitude to instil in a child.

As for veggies, there's a theory that toddlers tend not to go for them because they're relatively low-calorie, but take up a lot of space in little stomachs. They often opt for more calorie-dense foods instead.

Just make a variety of healthy foods available to him, and let him take it from there. It will immediately eliminate the stress around food for both of you. Honestly.

starry0ne Wed 30-Dec-15 19:20:23

I would suggest a few things that might not be the ideal...But you can try vegetable fingers or burgers, I used to make a lot of vegetable mash at that age...

Blu Wed 30-Dec-15 19:42:56

3 is way too young to be carrying 'consequences ' through to the next day, and what your approach is actually teaching him is that veg are an ordeal to be endured in order to get the main prize: treats.

My DC ate v v little fruit and veg at 3, unless hidden, and now willingly eat almost everything including 'weird' veg.

Sweet potato wedges, corn on the cob, individual frozen peas as a snack, broccoli to dip in things, pasta sauce, just casually serve anything he will eat, let him see you enjoying things, and relax.

Wolfiefan Wed 30-Dec-15 19:47:25

Blu is right. Veg should never be forced or an ordeal.
Experiment with different veg. My DD is 6. Hates cooked carrot but eats it raw!
Mash sweet potato instead of potato?
Offer fruit only as pudding?
DS used to like quesadillas. Tortilla in dry pan. Sprinkle on cheese. Then offer peppers etc. child can prep their own.
Shop together. Eat together.

MrsH1989 Wed 30-Dec-15 20:13:31

Thank you all. I am usually pretty relaxed about his veg because he does eat his fruit most of the time. Frustratingly I am very aware of all the things you have said and even as I was telling him I was aware that it was futile and totally the wrong approach. I will go back to doing mashed veg with a few non mashed on the side.

Blu Wed 30-Dec-15 20:23:41

Sounds good, OP!

It is SO easy to get wound up by this stuff.

I was that parent, on occasion, following a toddler around and trying to get them to eat a spoonful of dinner on the IKEA rocking reindeer. And once pureeing strawberries through a tea strainer to try and get some vitamin C into a glass of milk.

It was so much better when I just shrugged and gave up grin

Missgraeme Thu 04-Aug-16 10:43:14

My nearly 2 year old eats carrot sticks with a pot of cream cheese to dip them in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now