This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material.

Inappropriate content in literature

(6 Posts)
Escardo Sat 19-Jul-14 21:01:56

Just wondered about others views.. I am fortunate to have an 11yr son who is an avid reader but I struggle to find appropriate books.we recently bought a book from the teen section,which I flicked through and checked the back cover as usual,that when my son started to read he went white and handed it back to me.the f word was used on pg 2 and by pg 5there was strong sexual content.the shop told me it was teen and it is my responsibility to check it but as I pointed out I can't be expected to read the whole book .in my opinion it was not suitable for younger teens and there should be at least a warning sticker system.the head office were apologetic but didn't see what they can do as it would be censorship.i am appalled ,am I the only one??

LadySybilLikesCake Sat 19-Jul-14 21:05:38

Sorry, but it was in the teenage section, so not aimed at 11 year olds. The back will only show you the blurb, you have to read some of the pages inside to get the gist of the content. You should have checked it first to be honest.

There's a lot of books that he can read, how about the classics like Journey to the Centre of the Earth or Gulliver's Travels?

Littlefish Sat 19-Jul-14 21:07:39

I agree with LadySybil. Your ds is not a teen and therefore, if you give him books from the teenage section, you will need to check that the content is appropriate for him.

FairlyUseless Sat 19-Jul-14 21:07:45

You gave your 11 yr old a teen book without reading it through. Of course there will be swearing! If you are unsure then stick to the preteen section. It is a tricky age though. Most 'teen' or YA books will be aimed at a range of 13-19, which without reading them all, you'll have to take a chance.

Have a look at booktrust.org.uk. They have reading lists to help guide you.

What has he enjoyed lately?

FairlyUseless Sat 19-Jul-14 21:09:19

Ps. What was the book? Want to read it now!

Jux Sat 19-Jul-14 22:57:26

It is difficult. DD is 14 now, but I well remember how hard it was to find books with the complexity she needed but without explicit content. The classics were what I fell back on. Gormenghast went down well. Look for that sort of thing.

I also read a lot of YA (yawn) but found some which dd liked and which were OK. Judy Canavan (?) I think, The Magicians Guild trilogy is one I actually enjoyed as well. Ask his school, ask at the library, look at various competition sites and so on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now