This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material.

Bottomless pit? or something more serious.

(8 Posts)
HerlockSholmes Fri 29-Nov-13 18:35:32

My son was 4 in september and i am worried about his eating, or rather how much he wants/needs to eat.

it doesn't matter how much i give him to eat he constantly asks me for something else almost immediately after, basically he would be eating relatively non-stop all day if i let him.

typically he will have in a day;

Breakfast: 2 slices toast with butter, honey or jam/Cereal with full fat milk and a piece of fruit

Nursery snack(9.30ish): 2 petis filous, piece of fruit, milk or water

Lunch: buttered roll, cold ham or cheese, cucumber, peppers then maybe pot of jelly or custard or some crisps. Squash

Snack(s): Crisps (if not had at lunch)/ a few mini sausages/fruit/biscuit or two/breadsticks

Dinner:Pasta with chicken and tomato sauce and some veg- typically corn on cob, peas, sprouts, brocolli etc

Pudding: ice cream and fruit, custard, choc mousse etc.

Supper: similar to breakfast, usually toast or cereal.

Between lunch and snack and especially after snack and after dinner/pudding he is constantly asking for more, usually i offer extra fruit eg. more grapes but once they are gone he wants more and if i give more of that and he finishes he wants jam sandwich etc.

i give generous portions at dinner and have tried staggering snacks so he is getting little and often but he always says he is hungry. it's hard to ascertain if this is true or if it is just greed. i don't let him gorge on things and have tried not to just feed continuously all day because i don't want to encourage him to overeat when i am sure his basic meals and snacks are plenty for his age and size.

he has been quite a bit longer/taller than average since birth, but weight has always been perfectly in proportion to this- he carries no excess fat but isn't underweight at all. he is very energetic and has plenty of excercise/sleeps well.

should i be worried? i have heard of prader willie before but i dont think he fits the description for that. i dont want to deprive him if he is genuinely hungry but i dont want to just let him overeat and not know when to stop when he is older and i have less control over what he eats.

any musings anyone may have would be lovely? thankyou

Ferguson Fri 29-Nov-13 22:36:14

I guess you could get GP or HV to check him over, and tell them how much he is eating and see what they think about it.

I don't see how he could ever be hungry, and maybe he just really enjoys eating.

So often you hear just the opposite, parents worried because their child WON'T eat.

HerlockSholmes Sat 30-Nov-13 09:42:23

Thanks ferguson, i have spoken to HV briefly about it as she does a drop-in at nursery. she just said he looks and seems healthy weightwise and not to worry as long as he doesn't start putting on weight.

Maybe i am worrying for nothing and should just let him eat as long as i'm not letting him eat crap. i just don't want to set him up for the future thinking it's fine to eat non-stop especially when ge will start to make his own choices about food more and it won't always be healthy snacks he feasts on all day.

I would think it's ok as long as he's a decent weight/height and his bowel movements are normal.

I would makes sure it's mostly veg and fruit (also making sure his teeth don't suffer with the fruit)

Also be sure to offer plenty of water so he's not mistaking thirst for hunger.

HerlockSholmes Sat 30-Nov-13 11:02:29

Thanks titsalina, i know what you mean about the fruit and will keep being careful as he does eat alot of it.

i suppose i am lucky compared to those with children who don't eat at all it just doesn't seem normal.

HerlockSholmes Sat 30-Nov-13 11:03:18

He has water in a jug at nursery and home that he helps himself to and he can have milk and squash as well

forgetandforgive Wed 08-Jan-14 13:09:26

i don't think you should be worried as long as he's growing properly. he's sounds energetic and healthy to me. your ds just enjoys food but as long as he's not eating too much sugary /high fat food then he can have more of it. my sons are he opposite. eldest son 9 half had always been a fussy eater,'and he eats very small portion size for his age. i took him to the docs aboutvhis weight because i felt he was overweight : now 26 kg have only put on 1kg the whole year. but doc said there wed nothing to worry about and said it was better hand being fat like my youngest son. it was very rude of her especially when my ds was with me. my ys 8 is on the larger scale and he just loves to eat. so he eat everything up if he gets his hands on it. instead i now buy more fruits and veg and try to avoid cakes,biscuits and crisps.

stella69x Wed 08-Jan-14 13:20:28

Is he always asking nursery for more food or is it just at home?
If its the latter it could be his default method of occupying himself?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now