This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material.

Help about paying childminder?

(6 Posts)
LIZS Tue 23-Jul-13 09:36:30

deduct the half fees for this summer from your total annual payment and work out how much you have already paid and offer the balance.

Reality Tue 23-Jul-13 09:32:33

Yeah she's nuts.

You don't need to pay her for the holidays if you have given her notice.

She's trying it on.

Workingmum34 Tue 23-Jul-13 09:20:44

The notice period is 4 weeks so we have given her loads of extra. The contract I signed is one of the ncma ones and she has written 4 week notice period then in the additional box - "term time only" "fees spread throughout the year paid monthly" but obviously in that calculation was the summer holidays. She seems to think that it then means we pay her for the summer even though they finished last week.

Reality Tue 23-Jul-13 09:08:52

Really she needs to adjust the yearly total without the summer holidays and work out the difference.

I have just done similar, given notice to a family that pays me 12x monthly payments even though they don't use me in the holidays. Because their last day is this week, they owed me a couple of hundred pounds.

The difference in your case will be less because you pay 50% through the hols, but I think (am guessing though) that you will owe her something because of how you have divided the payments throughout the year.

Basically, in my case, there were 39 weeks out of 52 at £ amount, the rest at £0, and the total divided by 12 and paid equally. Ending the contract before the long summer holidays meant that the monthly total hadn't fulfilled the whole cost of the child care for the time that had been used.

Yours might even out more because of the 50% holiday charge, but it needs to be finally adjusted and you need a final bill. She is being shockingly unprofessional if she hasn't done this.

I am typing this with a tired and wriggly toddler on my lap so am blaming any maths fails on that, by th way wink

WeAreEternal Tue 23-Jul-13 08:42:31

What kind of notice did your contract state you needed?

Personally I think three months is more than adequate, and unless the contract stated otherwise you should now consider the CM no longer in your employment (and not continue to pay her).

Workingmum34 Tue 23-Jul-13 08:37:59

Some advice needed please. Our kids are changing childminders in September as we weren't happy with the previous one for a couple of reasons. They last went on the last day of the summer term and we gave her notice in April so she could fill the place when the school places came out. To make payments easier for her and us we had averaged out the amount over the year as she only has them for term time. But this had in included half fees for this summer which is nearly £200. Do we need to pay her for the holidays even though the kids have finished? Or do we take this off the last payment? My husband mentioned this briefly to her and she says we had a years contract but I can't see anything on the paperwork other than information about the notice period. I don't want to underpay her but also I don't want to overpay particularly as we haven't been very happy. Help please. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now