This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material.

baby boy is 6 days old today and he hasn't pooed all day what do i do???

(14 Posts)
Tashymondo Sun 30-Jun-13 01:25:25

I am a first time mum and my little man is 6 days old he had 3days in hospital on breast topped up by bottle and the last 3 days have just been bottle and formula. He has had since 3am 5 nappy changes and they have all been wee's.... Is this normal?? I am very worried. He has been distressed today crying alot. DF and I thought it might be wind so we have spent time winding him and he burped as well as passed winds few times. I may sound crazy but any advice would be great as very worried. ! XxX

NatashaBee Sun 30-Jun-13 01:29:29

It's perfectly normal for bf babies not to poo for a long time. Does he seem happy in himself - not uncomfortable? Are his nappies still wet? If he looks like his tummy is bothering him, try laying him down and cycling his legs in the air like he's riding a bike, or gently rub his tummy in a circular motion. But if he seems happy, I wouldn't panic. It will come out in the end... Probably when you've dressed him in a new white outfit.

Eyesunderarock Sun 30-Jun-13 01:34:45

Just what Natasha said, both mine were fully bf and it was quite normal for both of them to go a day or even two without a poo. As long as you are getting wet nappies it's fine.
My exquisite DD used to fart so loudly that the moses basket would shake, and she was a very fast feeder so she'd gulp air too, then wriggle and fuss and cry.
You don't sound crazy at all, the first 4 weeks or so I found very confusing. smile

Tashymondo Sun 30-Jun-13 03:29:17

I assume bf is breast fed. He was only bf for first 3days. He seems unhappy and wriggles alot and cries.

lougle Sun 30-Jun-13 07:28:33

You rejoice at having clean nappies and dread the explosion to come, all at the same time!

He's probably being used to the bf/formula transition and his bowels are just catching up.

Eyesunderarock Sun 30-Jun-13 07:55:43

If you are worried, talk to your Health visitor, or take him to the baby clinic.
It is impossible to ask too many questions as a new parent, they have heard it all before and it will reassure you to have someone look at him in the flesh and say 'He's fine'
If he's been bf and has been swapped to formula, then it will take a bit of adjusting. But if you are worried, then get him checked out for your sake.

HollyGoHeavily Sun 30-Jun-13 08:07:16

New born babies don't poo everyday, don't worry! As long as you are getting plenty of wet nappies and your baby's tummy doesn't feel hard then it's fine. Go and see your HV in a few days if you are still worried.

Tashymondo Sun 30-Jun-13 20:25:33

Explosive nappies today very runny poop, used infacol today as he had trapped wind. I was so happy to see a pooy nappy!! However I caught him mid flow and it went everywhere..... Moral of the story.... Be careful what you wish for. It has been very runny liquid even... Is that normal or down to the infacol or should I be worried?? XxX

HollyGoHeavily Sun 30-Jun-13 20:40:24

New baby poo is very runny - liquid in, liquid out!

JennyWren Sun 30-Jun-13 20:55:40

My midwife used to say that anything was normal from once a feed to once a fortnight! As long as baby is happy and doing lots of wet nappies, all is well :-)

GingerDoodle Mon 29-Jul-13 21:04:27

My DD did not poo for 4/5 days when we got her home. Midwife was not worried, she just turned out to be a baby the poo'd once every 3 days!

GingerDoodle Mon 29-Jul-13 21:20:55

My DD did not poo for 4/5 days when we got her home. Midwife was not worried, she just turned out to be a baby the poo'd once every 3 days!

ditsygem Mon 19-Aug-13 13:55:55

My DS didn't poo for about a week after we got out of hospital. Midwives weren't worried (I was!) and after that he started pooing as you would expect. nothing to worry about at all. At this age - almost everything is a variation of normal!
The first few weeks are so confusing and worrying though. It get easier - hang in there!

Dd2 is 10 days old and seems to poop once every day or two, perfectly normal smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now