This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material.

How much weight is my baby expected to gain?

(3 Posts)
ButteryJam Mon 03-Jun-13 13:06:16

My baby is 10 days old and weighs 6 pounds, hence she is in tiny size clothes and doesn't fit in newborn clothes. I don't have that many baby grows and wondering whether I should buy more: how long will it take for her to reach 7lb-8lb and start fitting in newborn size clothes?

Thanks for your help! smile

KLou1105 Thu 29-May-14 23:57:21

Hi my dd is now nearly 8 weeks old and was 5lb 1oz at birth and I went 4days overdue! She has been gaining weight very well and is now 8lb 10oz and is still in newborn clothes and some first size clothes. The 0-3 months don't fit her yet. I think I brought upto 7.5lb clothes at about 4 weeks old but she grew out of them very quickly. I Found the best fits were boots mini club and tesco. Different brands have different sizing newborn, tiny baby, first size ect; all said upto different lbs. (George clothing comes up very big) all I can say is that there is no harm in buying a couple of things as ur LO will soon grow into them, just don't go to mad as they soon grow out of them too :-)x

AnythingNotEverything Fri 30-May-14 00:00:27

I believe as a rule of thumb, healthy weight gain is 4-7 oz per week (it's not entirely linear though - some weeks more, some weeks less!).

Also, clothes actually fit for such a short amount of time you're best letting them wear them from when they're a bit big. It's easier to dress them in bigger clothes and is only a hindrance when they start to move more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now