This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material. If you've seen or heard something you felt was unsuitable for children — maybe a programme on TV or online, a film, an advert, a video game or something in a magazine — feel free to start a thread here to discuss it with other parents, and you can also make a complaint to the regulators via ParentPort.

an offer of free ice cream from Ann Summers will attract as many children as adults

(202 Posts)
dontaskforthe99 Thu 10-May-12 10:14:47

Driving on the motorway on Friday (family in car) We passed an ice cream van that offered on the back - 'Free ice cream - Grab a mouthful'. On the back of the van was the web address annsummers.com Along the side of the van it proclaimed 'Summer of Sex'. Am I overreacting to think that kids seeing this may well go to the website to see how they can get their free ice cream only to be confronted by a selection of dildos? I did phone and email the company but got no response.

LynnCSchreiber Thu 10-May-12 23:35:25

Btw, if you use the #annsummers hashtag when you tweet about it, it appears on the bottom of their website.

Tee2072 Fri 11-May-12 07:21:21

It appears to not be a live feed, MmeL. I just tweeted and it's still showing yours from 7 hours ago but mine hadn't appeared.

Tee2072 Fri 11-May-12 07:31:41

I take it back, my Tweet just showed up on their site.

McKayz Fri 11-May-12 07:38:23

I like Ann Summers. Their lingerie is mainly what I get as its very comfy and now the local La Senza has gone I'm stuck with AS or M&S.

But this is just stupid. I have a 5 and 3 year old and if they saw an ice cream van they would be asking for it. DS1 is learning to read too so might be able to make out Free.

How many parents, grandparents etc are going to have to deal with upset children because of this? Quite a lot I expect.

Then there is all the teenage girls wanting to strip off to bikinis. I know I would have at 15 or so with my friends.

blapbird Fri 11-May-12 08:27:33

We should tweet them all in one go then they'll be trending and when people click on their name it will have all our protests, I've tweeted them already.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 11-May-12 08:44:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AngelWreakinHavoc Fri 11-May-12 08:49:35

I have a Twitter account but dont understand how it works! I have emailed them though.

Merrylegs Fri 11-May-12 08:52:47

There is also an AS radio advert (it plays on our local KISS station) which is aired throughout the day - especially it seems at school pick up time! That's how I heard about the free ice-cream. (Mind you, the songs KISS play are all basically all about 'me likey likey having sex' and the demographic is young people, so I guess it fits right in. (They do play it on the school bus though. That's a lot of pre-teens hearing about free ice-cream.)

LynnCSchreiber Fri 11-May-12 08:58:39

You have to refresh the page for the tweets to show.

I wrote about this on the blog yesterday, as did SGM.

LynnCSchreiber Fri 11-May-12 09:08:04

We are not allowed to link to blogs on MN but if you happen to look in the bloggers' network forum you might find some interesting blogs.

<ahem>

<hides from MNHQ>

If anyone blogs and would like to add to that, please do.

wonkylegs Fri 11-May-12 09:55:17

Since my nearly 4yo can remember and type in Tesco.com off the delivery van (he loves the Tesco man and decided to try and make him come again by 'doing shopping like mummy') I don't see why young kids couldn't do the same for free ice cream. Even asking a distracted parent if it was ok because I think if I hadn't read this and my kid asked if he could go online to claim his free ice cream I'd probably think it was a promotion by Walls or Ben & Jerrys or something like that, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cross my mind that it was a sex shop.
I'm not a prude, I understand that there is a market for AS but this is a poor marketing choice that will appeal to kids whether it was meant to or not.

LynnCSchreiber Fri 11-May-12 10:52:28

Exactly, Wonky. My DS comes home and says "We need to look up legoorsomesuchcompany.com cause they are giving away stuff" so I don't think that annsummers.com would be difficult for them to remember.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 11-May-12 12:17:27

Hello. We're going to move this thread to our Parentport topic - which is a topic specifically for discussions about ads/programmes/games that might be unsuitable for children.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 11-May-12 12:20:02

MerylStrop Fri 11-May-12 12:21:42

that location is a bit niche, MN, are you scared of upsetting Anne Summers?

OP - very weird indeed

Get0rfMoiLand Fri 11-May-12 12:23:57

Why has this been moved to parentport Helen?

Half of us don't even know what it means - it is certainly not intuitive. I think it is certainly appropriate for AIBU or Feminist topic.

A lot of MNers view threads via topics - this subject may well die a death in here <echoes>

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 11-May-12 12:25:16

MerylStrop

that location is a bit niche, MN, are you scared of upsetting Anne Summers?

OP - very weird indeed

No, we have made it a Discussion of the Day, too.

ParentPort is a new(ish) topic we've set up in partnership with ParentPort itself, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material.

There are links there to follow, if you want to report any ads/programmes. And also the folks at Parentport keep an eye...

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 11-May-12 12:25:36

Get0rfMoiLand Fri 11-May-12 12:28:27

OK fair enough - I had no idea re the parentport but it sounds like a good idea.

However I think it is just as appropriate a discussion from the aspects of it being a godforsaken and awful ad campaign because of its misogyny, not just from the POV of being seen by children (however I do recognise that is the thread title).

MerylStrop Fri 11-May-12 12:28:34

yep, niche

LynnCSchreiber Fri 11-May-12 12:28:56

So that means we can contact Parentport, Helen? Are they going to be kind of a CEOPS for inappropriate online content?

LynnCSchreiber Fri 11-May-12 12:31:09

Oh, no. I just looked at the website, they just direct one to the right place to complain.

Which is quite a good idea, but I do think that a good ranty AIBU thread will reach more people.

Maybe if MNHQ were to tweet about it, and FB the thread?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 11-May-12 12:37:31

MmeLindor

Oh, no. I just looked at the website, they just direct one to the right place to complain.

Which is quite a good idea, but I do think that a good ranty AIBU thread will reach more people.

Maybe if MNHQ were to tweet about it, and FB the thread?

Already done wink

LynnCSchreiber Fri 11-May-12 13:04:18

Thanks Helen. Have RTed.

dontaskforthe99 Fri 11-May-12 13:13:21

Wondered where my thread had gone. I do think it is an AIBU and moving it will hide it. Perhaps you could have referenced the other area so that people were aware of it. Does Mumsnet accept advertising from Ann Summers? It would be interesting to know if this has influenced your decision. My main concern is with children being directed towards inappropriate website content and sexual marketing in inappropriate places. It isn't as if I haven't bought stuff in AS before. Don't think I will in the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now