This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material.

an offer of free ice cream from Ann Summers will attract as many children as adults

(202 Posts)
dontaskforthe99 Thu 10-May-12 10:14:47

Driving on the motorway on Friday (family in car) We passed an ice cream van that offered on the back - 'Free ice cream - Grab a mouthful'. On the back of the van was the web address annsummers.com Along the side of the van it proclaimed 'Summer of Sex'. Am I overreacting to think that kids seeing this may well go to the website to see how they can get their free ice cream only to be confronted by a selection of dildos? I did phone and email the company but got no response.

Whatmeworry Thu 10-May-12 10:58:50

Or dildo shaped ice creams?

Stick a flake down the dead eye sort of stuff....

littleducks Thu 10-May-12 11:08:34

Info here

I would be very hmm if my dcs saw a van offering free ice creams it turned out that:

"Everyone who rocks up to the I Scream van gets free ice cream – while we still have some left. Oh yeah, and, flavoured lube toppings."

ItsAPublicForumWhine Thu 10-May-12 11:10:08

Flavoured lube tastes gross. As do flavoured condoms - they just taste of rubber!

dontaskforthe99 Thu 10-May-12 11:14:16

I'm not a prude but I was completely shock - Actually that emoticon might be completely the wrong one in this context, now thinking how much it looks like one of those scary blow up doll heads.

Yanbu.

And I'm not a prude at all, no, just no.

Tee2072 Thu 10-May-12 12:31:54

Darn it, not in Belfast. My life is over...

That is really just odd.

dontaskforthe99 Thu 10-May-12 14:10:29

more the weather for hot soup anyway...

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 10-May-12 14:26:12

Eeww, that's just plain odd.

Ice cream attracts children more than adults surelyhmm Imagine trying to explain that one away to young children....adult only ice cream! I hate ice cream and ann summers, lovehoney is much better and more discreet

dontaskforthe99 Thu 10-May-12 14:34:03

but what on earth were they thinking when they were having their marketing dept meeting ....can't quite follow the thought processes that would use a vehicle that sells ice cream mostly to children and families to promote sex toys and lingerie. This ice cream van has to be driven between the stores, it can easily be seen by children and they have to park it in public places. It isn't just a stall they set up at adult only events/locations.

blapbird Thu 10-May-12 15:15:55

Ann Scummers more like good for vibrators but the under wear is anything but sexy, all made out of that tacky nylon material no silk, no really tactile fabrics just plastic.
The ice cream thing is weird too, I don't like the idea of it YANBU

"Ann Scummers more like good for vibrators but the under wear is anything but sexy, all made out of that tacky nylon material no silk, no really tactile fabrics just plastic"

Actually that's not correct, and hasn't been the case for some years. I've just left the company after eight years as a team leader, and the fabrics have definitely moved with the times.

That said, this ice cream van idea is frankly bizarre confused.

FanjoString Thu 10-May-12 18:11:49

Pretty stupid idea. And it's hardly ice cream weather. Marketing fail.

gafhyb Thu 10-May-12 18:16:19

YANBU

littleducks Thu 10-May-12 19:27:16

bump for the evening crowd

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 10-May-12 19:44:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SardineQueen Thu 10-May-12 20:05:27

What a stupid idea.
And who the fuck wants an ice-cream with flavoured lube all over it? Free or otherwise confused

blapbird Thu 10-May-12 20:08:07

woah sardineQueen is that really true? The ice-cream has lube on it? Gross! is the ice cream made out of man milk?
do you want a penis flake in that?
grin

AngelWreakinHavoc Thu 10-May-12 20:09:27

I love Ann summers but this is beyond a joke. I have just looked at the site littleducks shared and I'm going to complain now.

Meglet Thu 10-May-12 20:10:14

Lube topping?

wtaf?

blapbird Thu 10-May-12 20:12:23

yeah wt ACTUAL f? Is that true?

AngelWreakinHavoc Thu 10-May-12 20:14:59

They quote:

Everyone who rocks up to the I Scream van gets free ice cream – while we still have some left. Oh yeah, and, flavoured lube toppings.

SardineQueen Thu 10-May-12 20:16:06

yes it was on the quote upthread.bleurgh.

blapbird Thu 10-May-12 20:20:11

That is disgusting!!!! Whatever next, Vaseline Victoria sponge? Spermicide sweets?
<bleugh>

SardineQueen Thu 10-May-12 20:21:32

"A bag of naughty things for everyone who pulls their best “O face” and lets us Facebook it!"

So that'll be a load of kids pulling random faces that they don't know what it means and getting bags full of "naughty things"??? Teens who do know what it means and are giggling having their best orgasm faces on facebook?

Simply bizarre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now