This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material.

The New Oreos TV ADVERT

(298 Posts)
bella0207 Sun 12-Feb-12 13:17:57

I find this TV advert very disturbing. It is for the biscuits ORIOS. In it, a three year old girl is under her bed sheet like a tent teaching her father - who's head then pokes in - how to eat an Orio. She narratives what she tells him to do, how to seperate the biscuit and then lick the cream inside which she does very suggestively. The father is watching her very carefully. She tells him it is naughty and says he must not do it. Later the father sneaks down to the kitchen and eats the ORIOS from the fridge. He licks his lips in a;p;proval, his face expressing ecstasy.The girl is seen standing behind her father looking disapproving. YUK, YUK, YUK, YUK, YUK

russetbella1000 Sun 29-Sep-13 13:52:11

Bleugh......Just seen the Disney world advert, is there no thread about that one...Pervy dad can't handle his little girl growing up so whisks her away to Disney world where he can control his fantasy...Or am I just reading too much into it?

nickatelle Sun 19-May-13 21:53:49

I totally agree with RubyDeesMummy, CAZYB and MadameSIN anyone who sees anything pervy about this ad should go crawl back under their rock. If you can see anything other than a delightful and innocent child playing at being an adult and treating her daddy as the child, then I'm afraid it's you I'd be worried about. The ad is quite funny and she is a
talented little actress I have noticed her in a few different ads recently.

MadameSin Fri 12-Apr-13 09:26:22

I do love an old thread being dragged up. This ad has been reinstated recently as have seen it. The suggestion he's not her father and up to no good is sick. There's no suggestive licking, he doesn't look aroused and he is defo her father as she calls him 'daddy' ... or is that a metaphor for a 'naughty daddy' Jeeze, you lot are crackers, have warped minds and it scares me to think you would see anything sexual in this advert or is it a fantasy of yours?? Frankly, I'm concerned you all exist sad

Fenton Mon 08-Apr-13 09:16:14

Yes there are a lot of weirdos in this place.

Pretzelsmakemethirsty Mon 08-Apr-13 09:13:29

This is definitely an inappropriate advert. I am sorry if it appears over the top to consider the suggestiveness in the "just lick it' and the "Mm..." from the father as suggestive, but it just is!! In an 'innocent world', the advert is adorable, but knowing about how there are so many perverts in this world makes this a 'dangerous' image to perpetuate.

spacytracie Thu 14-Feb-13 22:38:01

A lot of people find this advert unsettling, maybe for the reasons the child is displaying adult behaviour and the intimate setting... A lot of the YABU COMMENTS on this thread are inhospitably ganging up on those who've been unsettled and have decided to speak out. The fact they find it unsettling, and many people do, does not, as the slander suggests, mean there is anything wrong with them. More like it is with the cognitive disonance and lowest common denominator witch hunt mentality amongst the comments made here.
I think the point people are trying to make is that in this world we live in, where paedophilia is on the rise and the world just will not wake up to sexual predators - this would be their favourite advert
And they've every right to find it worrying

FriedSprout Tue 12-Feb-13 18:28:57

It is on again, saw it today. Call me old-fashioned, but I think it is very sweet.

BIWI Tue 12-Feb-13 18:22:01

Why post on an old thread, about advertising that is no longer being aired on TV?!

Flisspaps Tue 12-Feb-13 18:21:04

This thread is 12 months old (today!)

Happy birthday, thread!

DelightedDanielle Tue 12-Feb-13 18:17:44

At no point is it ever suggested that the man under the cover is her father. I question his motives.

bellabreeze Thu 06-Sep-12 01:15:30

I have seen this advert a few times and just seen it on tv again and thought 'for god sake I can't be the only one who finds this weird...' so I googled oreo advert sexual' and this thread came up

CAZYB Mon 09-Jul-12 22:00:56

This thread has incensed me! I am glad that there are at least a majority of mums out there that DONT find this sexual.
It is an advert yes, but its is supposed to portray a father and daughter, if it were your husband/partner and your child, would you think that way suggestive if they played in a makeshift den???
The little girl is clearly bright and therefore elequent and no one should suggest that she is speaking in adult tone and words, she was given a script and as a clearly gifted child she was easily able to articulate it well.
I find the previous Oreos advert where the little boy cannot figure out how to get the milk out of his sippy cup to be able to dunk like his brother a lot more disturbing.
Society is dumbing down! We think that children who a less able do things are cute but bright children are sugestive/precotious! We cannot even portrey families playing with each other without them being scruitinsed for being too suggestive.
Wake up England and realise that this needs to change. if we carry on this way we will all have to dumb down to the lowest common demoniator and wrap ourselves in little bubbles so that we have no way of physically interacting with each other for fear of being accoused of pheodiphillia!

crazynanna Tue 03-Jul-12 19:04:38

the whole advert has paedophilia written all over it.

For crying out fucking loud! hmm

DowagersHump Tue 03-Jul-12 19:01:39

This has to be the most bizarre thread I've read on MN in ... ooh, a good few days.

Loons, OP you are an utter loon. And you Jill, you too

damozbeckz Tue 03-Jul-12 18:51:54

its only about a fuckin oreo,
you lot need to get a life theres nothin at all suggestive about this advert at all
ur all just looking to far into it

advertmonitor Sun 01-Jul-12 01:20:54

This advert is creepy. Every time I see it, it makes me pull a face, it's uncomfortable watching a little girl saying "first you lick it" and going "mmm" while that creepy guy is a couple of inches away from her under a bedsheet. I totally agree with bella0207. I don't get how the advertising standards people haven't picked up that the whole advert has paedophilia written all over it. No doubt the makers thought it was cute but anyone with half a brain and some social awareness would find it creepy too.

RubyDeesMummy Tue 12-Jun-12 13:00:51

HOw anyone can see anything weird about this advert I don't know, if my little girl and her daddy were playing in a sheet den I would think nothing of it. I used to play in dens and forts with my dad and nothing bad happened! You people all read too much into these adverts, it's purely an innocent game. I personally find it funny when she catches him eating her oreos, it's not pervy it's just a man being a man, I know for a fact that if I told my bloke not to eat something that looks yummy he would eat it! The problem with the world now adays is that because of all the pervs most things sound pervy even when they're not. If you see something disturbing it's probably because you are disturbed.

Quit your moaning and go eat an Oreo biscuit

ToothbrushThief Sun 10-Jun-12 08:47:03

susid must be a troll deliberately provocative surely. I've just watched the advert and really struggled to see if I was missing something... I wasn't. It's an innocent advert.

If not deliberately provoking, then I pity someone who really does see sex & children in a number of innocent situations because it must impact on so many areas of life. I would recommend talking to a professional and getting help.

CheerfulYank Sun 10-Jun-12 01:58:53

Wow. I just...shock

I am quite prudish when it comes to things I think are inappropriate for children, but this wouldn't even come close to tripping my radar! It's a little girl explaining how to eat an Oreo! Do all of you who are saying it's sick avert your eyes when you see a child licking an ice cream cone too?

Nothing sexual about it. Any opinion otherwise is ridiculous.

SkipTheLightFanjango Sun 10-Jun-12 01:30:27

grin @ perplexed

Empusa Sun 10-Jun-12 01:25:43

Holy zombie thread batman!

An experiment..
How many posters have joined MN just to post on this thread? And how many of them agree with each other?

cocolepew Sun 10-Jun-12 01:18:35

I'm not a troll. I'm giving my opinion and that is you're a fucking idiot.

perplexedpirate Sun 10-Jun-12 01:18:11

This is the strangest thread I have ever seen.
And considering there's arse-crack shaving masterclasses on here tonight, that's no mean feat.
confused

crazynanna Sun 10-Jun-12 01:17:09

hahahaha we are the trolls!

Goodnight weirdo

SuSid Sun 10-Jun-12 01:15:44

I get more and more annoyed every time one of you numpties tell me im seeing something that is not there. My reaction is that the advertisers have cocked up royally, not that the child is a turn on!!!! The sooner you dense lot twig this then maybe you can take your abuse elsewhere!!! To the advertisers!

Im a 'f***ing' idiot?? Its hilarious how trolls bahave on these threads, Id love to see what you are like in real life, hiding behind your computer giving abuse, laughable! Goodnight dimwits!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now