This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material. If you've seen or heard something you felt was unsuitable for children — maybe a programme on TV or online, a film, an advert, a video game or something in a magazine — feel free to start a thread here to discuss it with other parents, and you can also make a complaint to the regulators via ParentPort.

The New Oreos TV ADVERT

(298 Posts)
bella0207 Sun 12-Feb-12 13:17:57

I find this TV advert very disturbing. It is for the biscuits ORIOS. In it, a three year old girl is under her bed sheet like a tent teaching her father - who's head then pokes in - how to eat an Orio. She narratives what she tells him to do, how to seperate the biscuit and then lick the cream inside which she does very suggestively. The father is watching her very carefully. She tells him it is naughty and says he must not do it. Later the father sneaks down to the kitchen and eats the ORIOS from the fridge. He licks his lips in a;p;proval, his face expressing ecstasy.The girl is seen standing behind her father looking disapproving. YUK, YUK, YUK, YUK, YUK

microcosmia Sun 12-Feb-12 13:54:55

I don't see anything suggestive here. Actually she quite reminds me of the little girl in Outnumbered !

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 12-Feb-12 13:55:41

Well I think it is outrageous.
Oreos are American and are being pushed on us, the British public, and they're rubbish.
What's wrong with our good old British biscuits, eh, eh?
Hobknobs people or Bourbons but boycott Oreos.
Pah.

manticlimactic Sun 12-Feb-12 13:57:39

The only thing I found weird about the ad was why would you open the biscuit, lick it and put it back together again. What's the point?

WorraLiberty Sun 12-Feb-12 14:00:38

My god I've just watched it on youtube and anyone who thinks such an innocent advert is 'suggestive' needs their head looking at hmm

He licks his lips in a;p;proval, his face expressing ecstasy

You call that expressing ecstasy???

Jesus Christ, considering half the Galaxy adverts show women hoarding/hiding chocolate and having a virtual orgasm over the stuff, I think you're being VVVU here.

Chubfuddler Sun 12-Feb-12 14:01:26

When I was a child I carefully prised one half off with my teeth, scraped off the chocolate filling with my teeth and then ate each half in turn. So it looks perfectly normal to me.

catgirl1976 Sun 12-Feb-12 14:06:17

YABU and very strange if a child licking a biscuit seems sexual to you

But I think you know that by now

Maybe you were just having a moment

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 12-Feb-12 14:11:45

I find this one much more disturbing

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y59VUQxX3Dk

DV at its funniest apparently

funkybuddah Sun 12-Feb-12 14:12:11

I think you need to seek help....or maybe I do for replying to a thread that is completley stupid and only posted to rile things up.

MilkNoSugarAndAShotofWhisky Sun 12-Feb-12 14:14:58

OP, don't be so fucking ridiculous

AmazeGosh.

OP, you need a good hard stern look at yourself.

historyrepeats Sun 12-Feb-12 14:17:55

Eh? Is it bloody prissy pants day on MN, you cu*nts.

woopsidaisy Sun 12-Feb-12 14:19:54

Can't a Dad play with his daughter without all this hysteria? OP, YABU.
Nothing in the world of advertising has annoyed me more than the ads for my beloved Hunky Dory crisps! How could they!?
Sexist Crap.

TanteRose Sun 12-Feb-12 14:20:50

OP, you are being ridiculous - get a grip

LineRunner Sun 12-Feb-12 14:22:16

We assumed it was (computer-aided) dubbed, possibly a bit CGI-ed.

Whatever, even without the deconstruction I just didn't find it cute or amusing. More cringe-making.

HillyWallaby Sun 12-Feb-12 14:22:23

Actually that yoghurt one did make me laugh. Wrong I know...blush
they never would have got away with showing it the other way around.

RuleBritannia Sun 12-Feb-12 14:22:34

It wasn't suggestive. Couldn't understand some of what the little girl said though. The father should have taught her that licking the inside of a biscuit and putting it together back was rather unhygienic if it were to be put back into the tin for others to have.

It was no worse than that advertisement for R White's lemonade where a man crept downstairs at night for a drink. That was more watchable.

ConstanceChatterley Sun 12-Feb-12 14:23:15

YABU It's fine, you're seeing what you want to see.

And it's OREO

(Speaking of Oreos, they have FINALLY started stocking double stuff ones in my local supermarket - my life is now complete!)

WorraLiberty Sun 12-Feb-12 14:24:25

Hmm I've just checked and the OP is either new or a name changer

I really hope they're not a perv posting this because they see it as a sexual fantasy or something sad

It's not like they've come back to either thread....

LineRunner Sun 12-Feb-12 14:25:12

I think if someone does think it crosses the bounds of decency, they can complain to the ASA via its web site. Unfortunately the ASA does not yet accept complaints on the grounds of adverts being bloody irritating.

StrandedBear Sun 12-Feb-12 15:36:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OddBoots Sun 12-Feb-12 15:39:40

I hate that advert, in fact most/all advert for oreos - in this cold weather the blinkin' things just explode if you try to twist them!

cocolepew Sun 12-Feb-12 15:42:45

Op if you think that's how you be suggestive, you're never going to get laid.

everlong Sun 12-Feb-12 15:45:54

We all saw the advert last night and said what a cute little actress.

Nothing suggestive jumped out to me precocious maybe

startail Sun 12-Feb-12 15:46:44

Get a fucking life OP.
The girl is in full fancy dress in a fairy castle style tent showing her dad in a shirt and tie ( just come in from work) how she eats a biscuit. Nothing suggestive at all.
Just a parent sharing a child's game and then smelling down to the kitchen to be a child himself.
Please get a life.

DaPrincessBride Sun 12-Feb-12 15:49:02

YABVU

That is not a sexual advert

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now