This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material. If you've seen or heard something you felt was unsuitable for children — maybe a programme on TV or online, a film, an advert, a video game or something in a magazine — feel free to start a thread here to discuss it with other parents, and you can also make a complaint to the regulators via ParentPort.

Beauty ad banned - and about time too

(17 Posts)
Crumblemum Wed 01-Feb-12 09:08:09

Saw this in the metro on the way to work today (although apologies for DM link), and just thought - great. At last.

The mask of this perfect beauty is hopefully slipping. Just wish that l'oreal now had to do new ads saying sorry - giving just as much prominence to their apologies as they do to the initial 'lie'.

OnlyANinja Wed 01-Feb-12 09:10:57

That doesn't even look like her.

Crumblemum Wed 01-Feb-12 09:12:38

I know! James Bond (or whatever he's called) must have had a shock in the morning!

southeastastra Wed 01-Feb-12 09:13:37

i think i'm just used to them, to be honest you have to be pretty stupid to believe adverts

also the lighting has alot to do with it, just walk around with a bright light shining in your face grin

nowit Wed 01-Feb-12 09:25:21

Oh god no, bright lights make me look like crap wink

I don't think it matters for cynics like me, but for young girls who may be naive to it, I am really pleased that this is happening.

Crumblemum Wed 01-Feb-12 09:26:38

Great tip, I'll have to get one of those clip on angle-poise! That's where I've been going wrong!

I know the ads look ridiculous, and no one can seriously believe them, but it's so annoying that that's what we're meant to aspire too!

Bucharest Wed 01-Feb-12 09:31:04

I notice on Italian TV that the men all look a "normal" colour, (bit tanned and powdered of course, but generally normal)while all the female presenters are kind of bleached out (remember that Vanity Fair shoot Sarah Ferguson did? Like that) They clearly use different lighting on men (who can look craggy and rumpled) and women (who can't)

Crumblemum Wed 01-Feb-12 09:37:57

Do you think they ever would make companies that have had ads pulled take out apologies?

Henwelly Wed 01-Feb-12 09:41:16

I dont understand it, Rache Weisz is beautifull and i'm sure actually only needs a tiny bit of airbrushing, maybe for dark circles, I wouldn't get much sleep if I were married to Daniel Craig wink

That picture just doesn't look like her.

OnlyANinja Wed 01-Feb-12 09:47:08

It's not really its raison d'etre, but Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (the US version) had some good women-who-are-clearly-over-30-and-look-like-it. They were all of course uncommonly attractive, but they looked as if they were just lucky good-genes people rather than unnaturally-youthened people.

(yes I know that's not a word).

SandyMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Feb-12 10:09:43

Hello,
We think this thread should be moved to Parentport. This is a discussion topic in partnership with Parentport about stuff you feel is unsuitable for children. It's also about setting and enforcing standards across the media.We've check with the OP and she agrees.

OnlyANinja Wed 01-Feb-12 10:17:22

Is this a new area? Was there an announcement? I'd like to know more.

Crumblemum Wed 01-Feb-12 10:52:48

Ooh I'm liking the new area <have visions of my idea being taken VERY seriously>

OnlyANinja Wed 01-Feb-12 10:55:32

I'm not sure it makes sense though - this isn't about something being unsuitable for children.

Crumblemum Wed 01-Feb-12 11:06:23

Hmmm, just read the bit at the top. Suppose you could be right Ninja - could we argue this sets a bad example to our children?

OnlyANinja Wed 01-Feb-12 11:35:18

It's in the media and it is inappropriate, but it's aimed at adults, not children.

Crumblemum Wed 01-Feb-12 13:15:05

But children could still see it (or are those straws I'm clutching at)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now