This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material.

To wish the constant Disneyland adverts would feck the feck off?

(54 Posts)
AngiBolen Wed 25-Jan-12 19:22:47

What's with the constant guilt trip?

I really don't want to go to Disneyland. Neither does DH (Not enough to part with our hard earned cash, anyway) Our children do. Luckily they don't seem to be exposed to quite as much Disney advertising as I am. Or maybe they have learned not to ask for things they know they won't get.

But why do I feel like a crap parent because my children haven't been? Am I just really gullible to advertising? I think I need therapy to help me get over this (which would probably cost more than taking them to Disneyland).

Forrestgump Wed 25-Jan-12 21:04:11

God you miserable buggers!!!! Holidays arnt always what mum and dad want to do you know!

GetOrfMoiiLand Wed 25-Jan-12 21:09:56

I also laugh at the Disneyland Florida, in AMERICA thanks to mumsnet.

TwoIfBySea Wed 25-Jan-12 21:13:58

If you want an advert for Disney then they should show this here too. I think they've used it in the US but it is just lovely and makes me all teary!

I would be like that girl if I was made to go Two, but the tears would not be joy. sad

Poulay Wed 25-Jan-12 22:59:07

Went to Disney in Florida, but absolutely will not go to Disney, Paris, for the reason already specified above.

Bloody French people!

Snowboarder Wed 25-Jan-12 23:14:03

Probably going to make myself v.unpopular here as obviously going against the consensus but I absolutely loved Disneyland (Florida, that's in America - snurk!) DH and I went before we had DC and it was absolutely magical. Pg now with DC2 and looking forward to the day we can take them. Better start saving now eh?

Snowboarder Wed 25-Jan-12 23:17:55

In my defines I will say I never Prather around in a pair of ears but I did enjoy all the kiddy rides - it's a bugs life and the little mermaid were fab blush. The waterparks were also brilliant and Epcot was my favourite park.

Snowboarder Wed 25-Jan-12 23:18:22

Pratted not Prather!

Poulay Wed 25-Jan-12 23:33:58

Little mermaid and bug's life are not rides, they are 3d movie thingies.

startail Wed 25-Jan-12 23:40:08

Disney Florida is great.
All American toilets and plumbing in general is weird or at least different to here. I'm very short sighted and always forget to work out the shower controls before taking my glasses off.
Agree the advertising of Disneyland gets a bit much.
My relatively well off DDs will never understand that at their age I might as well have seemly of going to Mars as disney land.

jasperJohns Wed 25-Jan-12 23:47:31

Those ads make me laugh - 'Disneyland, Florida IN AMERICA!, not just Paris y'know!'

Do people really film their kids' reactions?! Is it that huge a deal?

You couldn't pay us to take our kids to Disney.

We have taken our kids to Florida every year and have studiously given Disney a 200 mile berth.

Kayano Thu 26-Jan-12 00:33:03

I have a disneyworld fund and my child is still in utero wink

Best place ever

Sorry blush

foglike Thu 26-Jan-12 04:14:56

It always makes me laugh when people say they've been to America but they've only been to this theme park.....it might as well be parked in Nuneaton.

Although they might be technically correct it's not exactly a road trip down route 66 smile

Adverts are horrible and surely Disney doesn't do Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck anymore? It's never on my telly.

cidrenomore Thu 26-Jan-12 04:31:26

Took the DDs to Disneyland(world?) Paris last year. Their reaction when I told them was lukewarm to say the least. They enjoyed being there, but preferred the swimming pool at the hotel at any point in the day. The queue jumping was grim.
This year, will save some money and take them to a British caravan park with a pool. Bet they enjoy it just as much.
Having said that, I am glad we went. (and v grateful to DSM for paying for us!) And DD2 says is saving her pennies till she can go back again...to the pool...

Alligatorpie Thu 26-Jan-12 04:45:27

We took my dd to Disneyland last year when she was five. Dh wanted to go, she didn't really have an idea of what it was going to be like. In the end, it was so much fun. Dh and dd have almost convinced me to go again this summer ( am hesitating as we will have a two month old baby...)

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 31-Jan-12 12:04:08

Hello. We're going to move this thread to our new Parentport topic, as it probably sits better there.

AngiBolen, as you're the OP, we've mailed you about this but haven't had a response yet. Do please get in touch with us (contactus@mumsnet.com) if you'd like to.

hairypotter Tue 31-Jan-12 19:31:22

Ok I'm confused. I know lots of mn hate these adverts, but I would hardly consider them unsuitable for children hmm

Why move this thread to this new topic page?

Gemtubbs Sun 18-Mar-12 21:14:05

Took 4 yo ds to disneyland florida in america earlier this year thinking that he would absolutely love it, and we of course saved for ages and paid a fortune. After the holiday, our ds mostly talks about the villa, the car we hired and the plane. I honestly think that kids are better off in a caravan at places like Haven.

There's no need to feel guilty if you don't want to take your kids to disney. I really wanted to go when I was little, there was no way on earth our family could ever afford it.

We went to the one in Paris, we had a pretty rubbish time. Bad weather, crowded, over priced, queue jumping. At the end of the day, I've learned that it's basically a jumped up fun fair. There is a massive reality gap between the adverts and the real experience. Unless you're really into Disney, I really think you could have a nicer family holiday for alot less money.

MY 4 year old asks about Disneyland all the time.
We don't even watch kids TV with advertisements shock

gramercy Tue 17-Apr-12 13:37:04

I'm with whereismymind73 - it's not clever to say you don't like Disneyworld/Disneyland. You are not classier in any way. I LUUURRRRVE Disneyworld - and we would pass any MN test (Boden/Waitrose...).

Surely every advert is trying to sell you something? They're adverts . Duhhhhrrr. I don't want my dcs to eat Cheese Strings/wear Lelli Kellys or order Dominos Pizza. You just say no.

invaderzimlover123 Wed 15-Aug-12 15:21:20

if you went , although you don't want to, you and your kids would hve the time of your life smile

Lovelylace Fri 17-Aug-12 17:54:44

What does MN stand for, (sorry if its off topic) and just to say...I will definately take my (still in utero) child there too..We have already decided to do Disneyland and the Orlando theme parks, and then to rent a car, and drive to Miami for a few days and then drive down through all the keys..but will have to wait until this little one is a tad older so that he/she can enjoy it..Not that I want ALL my holidays to be theme park based, we will have loads of different kind of hols, skiing, sailing riding and just beach ones, but I quite like to see it as well...wink

HappyLashes Fri 17-Aug-12 18:10:11

DH, DD (10), DS (7) and I came back from Florida last week. We spent 1 week in Disneyworld and then 2 weeks in a villa with a car and explored Florida, along with visiting the Orlando theme parks. It was somewhere we thought we could visit once while the DCs are old enough to remember it and young enough to enjoy it, and that would be it.

It was amazing, even DH found his inner child in the Magic Kingdom and we all want to go back. I'm missing it so much sad

The toilets were fab....no need to touch the flusher, you just need to make sure you're not sitting when it decides to flush! grin

noisytoys Fri 17-Aug-12 18:12:22

Me and DH and the DDs are going to Disneyworld in 32 days. And I have a massive Little Mermaid tattoo the whole length of my forearms. And watch the promotional DVDs they sent. Love it grin

geeandfeesmum Wed 12-Sep-12 18:22:30

God, you people are miserable!! I suppose you don't like puppies or rainbows either. It's DISNEYWORLD in Florida, Disneyland in California in Paris. Anyway, I suppose you will telling your kids there is no such thing as Santa and the tooth fairy as well because who needs magic right?

This is meant to sound lighter hearted than it does, but you are all miserable lol!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now