This discussion topic is in partnership with ParentPort, a website run by the UK's media regulators. They set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material.

NOW CLOSED: UK MNers - please take a short survey for ParentPort - you could win £150 of JL vouchers

(57 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 16-Jan-12 12:07:49

The UK's media regulators set and enforce standards across the media to protect children from inappropriate material. This could be a programme on TV or online, a film, an advert, a video game or something in a magazine. They've created a new website called ParentPort. It tells you about the work they do and helps you make a complaint quickly and easily.

The ParentPort regulators are also running a survey which they would very much like UK MNers to complete - it is designed to explore your views on some specific questions about children and the media. The survey is open to all parents in the UK with at least one child or who have responsibility for children on a regular basis (eg childminder, grandparent). They are offering a prize draw, in which one winner will win £150 of John Lewis vouchers.

If you'd like to take part, please follow the link to the survey on the homepage of the ParentPort website.

The survey will be open from from 12 noon on Monday 16 January, closing at 12 noon on Monday 23 January. The survey should only take a few minutes to fill in, and you'll have the option to enter your name and email address if you want to enter the prize draw for the vouchers.

In addition, as you may have noticed, we've been asked by the ParentPort regulators to set up this new Talk Topic so that MNers can share their views and voice their concerns when it comes to children and the media. If some of the survey questions get you thinking, feel free to post your thoughts and/or start a discussion here.

Please note: The survey and prize draw are being run by Ofcom, one of the ParentPort regulators. You must be aged over 16 to enter. Please click here for full terms and conditions.

Many thanks,
MNHQ

Narges Mon 23-Jan-12 16:09:03

smile

scottishmummy Mon 23-Jan-12 11:34:18

lol see all the gurning at being associated with netmums
get over it ladies
its an online forum nothing to get defensive about.you dont need to declare allegiance anytime someone says netmums

thaliablogs Mon 23-Jan-12 11:23:53

it's a bit of a leading survey, but done.

babloogirl Mon 23-Jan-12 09:03:11

Done

Done smile

MonaLotte Mon 23-Jan-12 08:36:37

Done

krisskross Sun 22-Jan-12 17:10:33

done

jetstar Sat 21-Jan-12 17:43:24

dun

Have done the survey, although I think it will become more applicable to us in the future as DC are both under 7 and still very much supervised.

I wondered whether this is an appropriate vehicle for complainaing about broader issues such as Page 3 girls and placement of adult magazines?

(And also a 'FFS' to whoever the poster is who hmm about NM and MN doing a bloody survey!)

BeanutPutter Fri 20-Jan-12 21:05:11

Done

Geordieminx Fri 20-Jan-12 17:02:39

(((((wonders if the prize is different if you ticked NethunsIceland or primark maybe grin )))))))

edam Fri 20-Jan-12 16:45:56

done

Done

Hullygully Fri 20-Jan-12 14:33:49

They need an "It depends" category

doughnutty Thu 19-Jan-12 00:23:10

Done. Hours ago. Forgot to mention it here as it didn't automatically bring you back.

MrsHankey Wed 18-Jan-12 11:10:31

done

Done

MrsWembley Wed 18-Jan-12 09:42:27

Done but, like others, found the age appropriate watching question needed more detail/somewhere to clarify stuff. My 2.7 yr sometimes watches stuff that a '12' but only coz she's too young yet to understand the bits deemed '12'. Give it another few months and I'll probably be hiding those DVDs.wink

McPhee Tue 17-Jan-12 20:44:43

done

Jux Tue 17-Jan-12 15:26:07

Our parents put 'unsuitable' books on higher shelves! By the time you'd looked through the books below 4 foot you'd almost always have found one you wanted to read and didn't bother going to get a chair so you could get to the higher shelves! Until we got to a certain age of course ..........

Must admit, I tend to do the same. Someone gave dd Twilight but as dd was out at the time, I took it away and read it, after which I hid it! I think it was nearly a year later and she was about to buy it with an Amazon voucher, so I dug it out. Ruined it for her, by telling her about abusive relationships etc whenever she mentioned Edward.

I'm so mean. She won't give it the time of day now. grin

Otherwise, you can generally judge the content of a book by the blurb on the back, reviews and sometimes even the cover illustration gives it away.

NewYearEverything Tue 17-Jan-12 14:45:54

Why hmm MrsM? I thought it was amusing that they will be able to compare the responses from the two sites (data geek)

NewYearEverything Tue 17-Jan-12 14:45:10

Bit odd the way it starts off with iplayer in the question (I don't have a TV, so this is where all DS's viewing is), and then it isn't mentioned again.

ronshar Tue 17-Jan-12 13:52:54

Done.

MrsMicawber Tue 17-Jan-12 13:20:15

a bit hmm that NM are doing the same survey

boredandrestless Tue 17-Jan-12 11:54:25

I wish my parents had thought to read books ahead of giving them to me, a lot of thought is put into what films and other forms of media children are allowed to access but not so much with books. I was an advanced reader as a child and went through books at a very fast rate - some of the books I read were very unsuitable and have stayed with me even as an adult and I can recall my horror/disgust/confusion at some of the things I read as a child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now