does your child wear glasses for being long sighted?

(13 Posts)
tinatutor Sat 15-Aug-09 15:17:06

Found out last week that my 2yr old son has to wear glasses for rest of his life for long sightedness. Am dead upset about it but trying to be positive and keep things in perspective.

However, someone told me yesterday that glasses for long sighted children will be very thick in the middle giving that 'massive big eyes' effect. Is that true?

Do anyone know what I'm talking about?

Furball Sat 15-Aug-09 16:17:54

well my ds has worn glasses since he was 2 1/2. he's now 8. He also had a 'lazy eye' and had to wear a patch for a few hours a day at first. His eyes don't look massive....

I wear glasses (short sighted) and have done since I was 17. dh wears glasses for reading and computer work (he's long sighted) and has worn glasses since about 5.

Try not to worry, how many people have you seen ever in your life wearing glasses -thousands? and how many have you thought 'crikey, their eyes look massive?' -probably none. smile

Furball Sat 15-Aug-09 16:19:30

ps - you can pay £10 to have the lens made thinner.

Seona1973 Sat 15-Aug-09 16:19:51

you can get the glasses thinned by the optician (shop around as some will do it for free)

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 15-Aug-09 16:30:23

DS1 has worn galsses since 3.6 and has had patching and an op for his lazy eye. We have been told he will have to wear glasses permanently.

His aren't at all thick. When he was pre-school he was the only one at his playgroup wearing glasses, but now he's going into Y2, there are about 5 children in his class wearing glasses, maybe more.

DS1 has never been bothered by wearing them and TBH they look good on him. Children's glasses are great now.

Seona1973 Sat 15-Aug-09 16:32:25

when dd's glasses havent been thinned they are really quite thick and heavy looking so we have always had them thinned down so they look more 'normal'

LilyBolero Sat 15-Aug-09 16:34:57

Dd does, she had to patch also for a lazy eye. She has to wear them full time till she is about 7, and then only for reading.

I was gutted when it happened, but she looks gorgeous in her specs, and it's honestly fine. But I did cry loads at the time.

Your ds will look v cute in them, and it is better for him to be able to see well, honestly, and you will get used to them! x

4andnotout Sat 15-Aug-09 16:43:21

My dd1 is long sighted and wears glasses permenantly, her lenses are no thicker than usual and her latest pair are reactor lenses as she was having trouble squinting in the sun.

tinatutor Sat 15-Aug-09 17:23:05

thanks everyone, you've really reasurred me.

Seona - what is your daughters prescription? Just out of interest. My son's is +5 and +6

Seona1973 Sat 15-Aug-09 17:42:24

tinatutor, dd's prescription is +4.5 and +5.5

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Sat 15-Aug-09 17:48:23

Message withdrawn

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Sat 15-Aug-09 17:49:29

Message withdrawn

TabithaTwitchet Sat 15-Aug-09 18:01:14

We have an appointment next month for DD to get her glasses for long sightedness, she will be 20.
I understand about you feeling gutted, I felt the same (still do, though I am resigned to it now)
DD's sight problems are v v similar to DH's who had glasses from age 3. In photos they do look terrible, very big heavy lenses and they do make his eyes look massive. Partly because of the shape that the lense have to be they do magnify a bit, but I am convinced that things will have moved on considerably in the past 30 years and DD's new glasses will look considerably more stylish than her dad's grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now