What's wrong with Robinsons squash for children ??

(67 Posts)

Hi, my friend came around with her two girls for a play date with my daughter. Her girls are about the same age, 3 and 5. I offered the girls some juce and they all said yes please. I said to my friend as I got out the bottles, which flavour do they like?
It was Robinsons sugar free juice, she said "Oh, it's o.k, they'll have water". I then said "they did ask for juice" and she said "to be honest, I never give them Robinsons at home as it's really bad for them, she said it's got a lot of additives.
I never knew this, you'd think you'd be o.k with such a well known brand.
What do you think? should I get different squash? and if so, what is the best brand?

TrinityRhino Sat 20-Jun-09 17:36:26

all squash is pretty much full pf crap though isn't it?

I still give to my kids though

flamingobingo Sat 20-Jun-09 17:36:42

I get rocks organics. I hate artificial sweeteners - would prefer them to have less real sugar squash than lots of artificial stuff.

Have to say I think your friend is bloody rude though. One drink of squash is hardly going to kill them!

SpawnChorus Sat 20-Jun-09 17:37:50

It's got artificial sweetners in it, which are not good imo.

You could try Rock's squash. It's made with good old fashioned sugar and other natural ingredients. I'd rather my kids had sugar (and regularly brush teeth) than lots of artificial sweetners.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 20-Jun-09 17:38:22

sugar free robinsons, or to be honest most sugar free drinks, have artificial sweeteners in them which are really not very good for you at all, and can be linked to hyperactive behaviour in some children.

I personally would prefer my child drank the normal sugar based squash if any at all.

SpawnChorus Sat 20-Jun-09 17:39:01

x-posts with flamingo

and agree that your friend is rather rude!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 20-Jun-09 17:39:15

X-posted with others! We use rocks squash and plenty of teeth cleaning too.

Also, very very watered down orange or other fresh juice.

oodlesofpoodles Sat 20-Jun-09 17:39:25

I don't give my dcs any sugar free squash because of the sweeteners. I'm not militant about it, they have it at parties etc but I wouldn't want them to have it lots. Even lots of non sugar free stuff has sweeteners in it as its a lot cheaper to make.

SoupDragon Sat 20-Jun-09 17:42:57

Squash isn't juice. Juice is juice. I too would have said mine would have water instead. DE2 will drink juice but he's not fond of squash.

DisturbinglySexuallyInactive Sat 20-Jun-09 17:53:32

your friend was rude but I'd have been confused too by the offer of juice followed by squash!

RustyBear Sat 20-Jun-09 17:58:14

No, one drink of squash with artificial sweeteners isn't going to kill them, but with both my two when they were 3 it would have had given them diarrhoea for a couple of days, so I would have said no as well.

PuppyMonkey Sat 20-Jun-09 18:00:07

Robinson's Hi Juice is the future, imho. No aspartame and tastes yum....

flamingobingo Sat 20-Jun-09 18:00:09

Would you really, Soupdragon? I wouldn't have ma problem with my children saying they'd prefer water, but me saying it for them based on the squash being 'bad' for them would be downright rude. Unless, like RB, there was a health reason.

And yes, juice is not squash.

Acinonyx Sat 20-Jun-09 18:37:32

Dd has squash if offered (and unavoidable without being as rude as your friend) but never at home. I drink it at home sometimes - but I'm a lot less fussy about my health!

littleducks Sat 20-Jun-09 18:42:24

i really dont like mine having squash but dd having discovered it now i allow rocks or bare all which i have just discovered and is ok

SoupDragon Sat 20-Jun-09 18:42:36

I would have said mine would have water because when they said yes to juice, they meant juice, not squash and would prefer water. Nowhere in my post did I say it was because of it being bad for them.

littleducks Sat 20-Jun-09 18:47:48

blush i have turned done squash for mine, and people normally quiz you as to why, so i say i dont like sweetners or if im lucky i can say no its ribena which has an age limit on the bottle

mumeeee Sat 20-Jun-09 18:57:14

She was a bit rude,but you offered them juice and then got out squash, Sugur frre juice does have alot of additives and sweetners that are not good for children ion them,

The children call all flavored liquids juice. They don't say squash. The Mum wasn't around when I asked them but the children saw the bottles. grin
I'll look out for the Roc one, sounds good.
I've been giving her sugar free in her bottle that she takes out, as I didn't want sugar constantly on her teeth.
It is probubly better to give it in a glass and not so often. I wish she'd drink water too.
I also thought it was a bit rude of her, but she's a bit out spoken.

SoupDragon Sat 20-Jun-09 21:22:19

It's not sugar free, it has no extra added sugar. There will still be naturally occurring sugar in it.

princessmel Sat 20-Jun-09 21:26:07

The Rocks lemon is not nice imo.

My 2 will not drink it.

bamboostalks Sat 20-Jun-09 21:29:44

I give my daughter this squash, she won't drink water. I have thought about Rocks etc but was too worried about her teeth with a constan drip of highly sugared liquid on it. I am not happy with aspartame either but have decided it is the best of two evils.

2shoes Sat 20-Jun-09 21:30:25

nothing ds has always drunk it

LadyAga Sat 20-Jun-09 21:53:15

I don't understand why people think your friend was rude?

You offered her children something that she doesn't want them to drink and she politely declined it.

You've never considered there to be a problem with Robinson's squash until this incident so you came on here to get more opinion's on the squash and people are telling you thta you have a rude friend.

Puzzled.

treedelivery Sat 20-Jun-09 21:59:49

I know the op never mentioned she felt her friend was being rude - but just to say, I have had visitors decline things I've offered their children on the grounds they didn't approve. I haven't ever felt offended. It's fair enough - everyone has a different way of doing the food thing.

Marthasmama Sat 20-Jun-09 22:01:16

There is a new orange squash that is all natural and tastes really nice. I'm going to get some ice cream so I'll have a look at what it's called......

It's called Bare All and I get it from Tesco. I have tried the Robinsons naturals Strawberry and Apple which is delicious but tastes like it is chock full of sugar. The Bare All tastes of oranges shock and isn't too sweet.

ilovesprouts Sat 20-Jun-09 22:06:08

my ds2 will drink juice/water but i make the juice very weak

treedelivery Sat 20-Jun-09 22:06:28

I just water down orange juice. It's yum!

FlappyTheBat Sat 20-Jun-09 22:11:09

Both dd's drink Robinson's sqash, although very dilute but I initially wasn't very happy that we had to go down this route.

Both dd's were BF until nearly 2, dd1 would not drink anything, even once I had stopped feeding her. On a good day, she would have 1-2 oz of liquid only. Some days, nothing would pass her lips.

My gp and hv said to try anything as we had concerns for her health. When I introduced squash, the 1st day she drank two full cups, something she had never done before.

She still doesn't drink a lot now so always have to be careful, especially when it is hot.

The fact that she will drink now means more to me than worrying about what she is drinking.

After all, I remember being given squash that was pretty fluorescent as a child and I don't think it has done me that much harm!

Mintyy Sat 20-Jun-09 22:30:15

I give my dc Hi Juice Squash (and sometimes juice and sometimes water and sometimes milk). But they would not have been allowed it in their bottles or sippy cups. I would never give them a drink containing aspartame but I know they will have them at other people's houses and parties.

arabicabean Sat 20-Jun-09 23:07:45

I would never give my toddler squash of any description. It is either organic milk or juice, or just plain water.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sat 20-Jun-09 23:27:33

In my day (aged parent), no one I knew ever had squash or fruit flavoured drinks - it was well watered down apple juice, water or milk, even long after they started school.

If caught short while out and about, they'd have a carton of Ribena or similar, but I'd consider having 'squash' in the house as tantamount to having sweets in the cupboard.

I don't understand why anyone would introduce a chemical concoction into a tiny child's diet.

If i went to a friends house and she offered ds coca-cola, I'd say no, so on that basis I don't really see anything wrong with her refusing something she doesn't want her children to have. As long as she didn't make comments on how you shouldn't give it to your children, nothing wrong at all.
My ds drinks squash, we call it jusice because it's easier for him to say and although I allow my ds to have a number of things while out that he wouldn't have at home, if I felt strongly about any ammount of squash, chocolate, biscuits etc, I would say no, especially to a friend a wouldn't expect to be thought rude.

FlappyTheBat Sun 21-Jun-09 00:14:33

OurLady, you obviously are lucky and never had a child who would refuse to drink anything.

I wasn't keen to introduce anything other than water or milk, but when you are faced with a child who's health is suffering because they aren't drinking any liquid, then ideals tend to go out of the window.

Her favourite drink is now milk, which brings its own problems, but ime 2 cups of dilute squash per day is better than her becoming ill due to no fluid intake at all.

treedelivery Sun 21-Jun-09 00:22:46

I have sweets in the cupboard.

In a tin where dd can help herself. She has been such a fussy eater that I have been known to appluad her trying a new sweet! She helps herself to maybe 2 jellybabies a fortnight.

Flappy - you seem perfectly happy with your dd's squash, but if you wanted to try just for the sake of trying, orange juice from concentate with a load of water does taste quite like squash. More options you have the better I say. Cheap as chips too smile

FlappyTheBat Sun 21-Jun-09 01:01:23

thanks treedelivery, will try diluting fresh orange juice, might just help with the side effects of drinking too much milk!

dd2 is so different, she'll happily drink water, fresh fruit juice - vv occasionally and squash but refuses to drink milk.

Absolutely agree with SoupDragon. Juice is juice, squash is squash. I'd probably be a bit more diplomatic than your friend, but I'd still politely refuse. Artificial sweeteners are really something kids (and adults) can do without imo.

Actually, I don't see anything wrong with sweets in the cupboard - chocolate and sugar are ok in moderation, but personally I'd still veer clear of anything with psychotic colours or artificial sweeteners. Don't jelly babies have natural flavours now?

SomeGuy Sun 21-Jun-09 01:17:34

Squash is grim generally, is not juice.

Robinsons are to blame for the dreaded FRUIT SHOOT and their marketing is very dodgy, I had to complain to ASA about it in the past:

www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_42604.htm

Scorpette Sun 21-Jun-09 01:32:39

Additives are really bad for kids (and everyone) whereas sugar is at least natural. Ideally, kids shouldn't have any additives and not much sugar. I hate all the 'no sugar' labelling because it misleads people into thinking it's healthier but the crap they put in to replace sugar is unnatural and far worse for health long-term.

Perhaps the woman wasn't meaning to be rude - you did keep asking her why she wanted her DCs to have water and why they couldn't have squash, so maybe she then blurted it out a bit bluntly? Obviously, we don't know what tone of voice she took. You can't expect her to know that you call squash 'juice', so it's totally reasonable for her to change her mind if she thinks you're offering something you're not.

Bamboostalks - Aspartame is definitely NOT the better of 2 evils. Aspartame is banned in many countries and there's a lot of respected medical studies out there which say a helluva lot of terrifying things about its potential effects. I have food allergies, so I've researched this sort of thing.

misdee Sun 21-Jun-09 07:50:28

i turn down most squash's for my girls, but robinsons is fine (we get the sugar one, not NAS one). most cheaper brands have a lot of artificial colourings in it. or apples. dd1 is allergic to food colourings, dd2 is allergic to apples.

PuppyMonkey Sun 21-Jun-09 07:56:22

I think Rock juices taste awful myself. Very tart.

As I said Robinson's High Juice is the way forward if you're gonna have squash in the house imo. Tastes much nicer than watered down concentrate.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sun 21-Jun-09 08:39:41

(Harking back) I can see why people like Flappy, in exceptional circumstances, would be glad to see their child drink almost anything - but that is exceptional - and I don't think I was lucky with my three.

They only really started to drink water with meals after starting school (except for the youngest, who just had to fit in because the others were having it).

I also bf late (2 1/2 for the youngest), and it took a long time for them to take to anything but apple juice.

I was always concerned that they wouldn't drink water, (or milk really until long after they were weaned), and was embarrassed when out with other mums whose kids accepted water.

That aside, I agree with others who point to the unpleasant, unwanted ingredients in squash - and Rock is disgusting.

Goblinchild Sun 21-Jun-09 08:49:19

Mine drank water, milk and fruit juice when they were small.
Now they are 14 and 18 they drink milk, fruit juice and water. And hot chocolate.
Daughter occasionally drinks lilt or lemonade, and the milk is sometimes a milkshake.
If you set them up early with good food and drink choices, sometimes they choose to stick with them in later years.
Agree that I'd rather have children drink 'normal' sugar that sweeteners in low/no sugar choices.

shootfromthehip Sun 21-Jun-09 09:00:42

I have a mate who works for Britvic and she reckons that all products containing aspartame will be banned here eventually. There is lots of research about it and they are only continuing to sell it (apparently) because it is not yet illegal.

She has no kids but said if she did then 'no way would I let them drink that sh*t'. So if one of their own employees say that Robinsons' is crap then that's good enough for me.

Rock squash is good. M & S also do a pear and ginger cordial which is quite nice too.

Tryingtobehealthy Sun 21-Jun-09 12:30:20

Scorpette:
"Aspartame is banned in many countries and there's a lot of respected medical studies out there which say a helluva lot of terrifying things about its potential effects."

Actually, there aren't! I started a thread about this recently and there is actually no medical evidence whatsoever that says it's bad. Aspartame can cause effects similar to that of MS so for a while people thought it caused MS - it doesn't; as soon as asparatame is stopped then the effects stop. The rise in brain tumours in recent years was also attributed to aspartame being introduced but the rise actually started before aspartame was introduced so that was disproved as well. I don't think you will find any medical evidence against it at all - and I mean proper medical institues, none of the holistic sites and so on.

Tryingtobehealthy Sun 21-Jun-09 12:33:24

Although having said that, if you do know of any genuine evidence against it I would be very interested to know, as I have been trying to find out more about this!

southeastastra Sun 21-Jun-09 12:38:50

we have robinsons hi juice too no aspartame

If aspartame causes symptoms like MS isn't that bad enough? And with that in mind, I really don't think they've studied the long term effects sufficiently.

The colourings in squash have always been suspect too. The tartrazine in them when I was a child sent me nuts. Not sure what colours are in nowadays though - hopefully more natural.

Squash really is junk though unless as some posters have said, their dcs have a real problem with drinks- watered down juice of just straight juice is better and doesn't make kids crave more sugary, sweetened crap.

Tryingtobehealthy Sun 21-Jun-09 17:37:59

I totally agree Carmen, I hate squash and never give it to the kids. And yes aspartame causing reactions in some people is obviously a bad thing. All I'm specifically interested in is that there is no medical evidence I can find that say it's bad, yet most people seem to think there is.

That's it then, from now on it'll be watered down fruit juice, or milk. I'm trying to get her to drink water but she's not keen.
If I give squash as a treat, it'll be a compleatly natural one.
We tried Bottle green Junior, oh so orange and mango cordial. It tasted delicious but was soo expencive. (That would have to be an occasional treat!)
Thanks everyone for your advice and info. I'm glad I asked, although feel bad that she's been having it for so long.

treedelivery Sun 21-Jun-09 23:23:24

I wouldn't feel bad. smile There are worse things and better things and a million ways of doing it all.
She has had enough to drink and eat. And a family that loves her. The rest is setting higher end goals isn't it? My mum reminds me to think of the poor daughters walking to try find clean water risking rape in war torn coutries, when I worry about dd1's veg intake. It's dramtic. But it's totally real and true.

Our babies are doing bloody good. Go have some chocolate. Hurrah!

treedelivery Sun 21-Jun-09 23:24:13

dramtic? dramatic! TUT!

merlinthehappypig Sun 21-Jun-09 23:35:20

Tryingtobehealthy I have heard, (although don't know if it's true), that aspartame has been shown to be carcinogenic in clinical tests done with mice. Is this true/not true?

I don't give anything that contains aspartame to my dc's just in case this is true.

Maybe giving her water in a fun bottle or squeezy bottle might help?

Don't feel bad! Parenting is such a learning experience. I'm third time round and rethinking/experimenting with all this weaning business completely! There's really no right or wrong way.

I just feel that a lot of artificial additives are unnecessary. They're probably harmless but they may not be so it just seems like an unnecessary risk especially with a history of adhd in my family so I do check labels. I hope that buying more natural foods sends a message to the manufacturer but that might be wishful thinking!

Also, I can taste aspartame a mile off. Ergghhh!

piscesmoon Mon 22-Jun-09 07:28:21

I think that watered down squash is better than lots of juice -after all it is nearly all water (especially the way I mix it). I wouldn't want to give DCs all that juice, even watered down.

Tryingtobehealthy Mon 22-Jun-09 08:02:47

Merlin (great name!) yes aspartame has shown to induce cancer in rats but the bit it works on (I don't remember the details!) is something that humans don't have so it's impossible for humans to react in the same way to the rats. It really does seem to be one of these where everybody has heard horror stories and assume they're true yet there seems to be no evidence at all.

merlinthehappypig Mon 22-Jun-09 16:31:09

Thanks Tryingtobehealthy. It's hard to know what to do for the best sometimes. I suppose it's best to steer clear anyway if we're not sure.

Thanks for saying you like my name too. I was thinking of changing it tbh. Thought maybe it sounded too masculine and I'm female. But I might keep it now.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 22-Jun-09 16:42:02

My DD drinks squash. She won't drink enough water (had urinary problems because of not drinking enough) and I don't want her drinking too-sugary or acid drinks (like real juice!) between meals. But then again she's 10 so maybe I'm lucky she's still on squash and doesn't like fizzy drinks - her friends ask for coke if they see we've got some for ourselves.

We mostly get the Sainsburys own-brand no added sugar ones now, rather than Robinsons, because they are sweetened with sucralose rather than aspartame - from what I can see, though of course on the net you'll find negative comments, theres not too much wrong with sucralose.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 22-Jun-09 16:42:57

[merlin - you could become merlinthehappysow if you want to feminise your name grin ]

sugarpop Mon 22-Jun-09 16:55:53

Big bugbear in our house I'm afraid. Very allergic dd, "normal" squash is one of the worst things she can have for excema outbreaks and puffy finger reaction. We are certain its the preservatives, stuffed full of sulphites. Never touch aspartame anyway because we are asthmatic and it is alleged to be a risk in causing asthma attacks.

We get Rocks which are fine, plus any other additive free crdials which generally have to be stored in the fridge, use juice and are loving the new Robinsons naturals which have no additives or preservatives and are inexpensive. Saying that squash is only really drunk with meals otherwise it is water or milk.

sugarpop Mon 22-Jun-09 16:57:36

Oh plus our dentist thinks the no added sugare ones are just as bad as normal ones because of the acid content and would rather we used none or just at meals!

Saltire Mon 22-Jun-09 17:21:18

On the juice - squash thing, well the part of scotland where I'm from juice is juice, squash is juice, coke/diet coke/pepsi are juice! Maybe it's a Scottish thing

I stopped tkaing apspartame ages ago after reaidng aobut the similar to MS symptoms. A lot of my fibro symptoms are similar to mS. However, me cutting it out hasn't stopped my symptoms IYSWIM, so thats no what caused it. Plus aspartame maks Ds2 go a bit wild - within hours of him having it was pulling him down off the ceiling so to speak. We always ahve full sugar squash (juice)grin

I might have had a break through. grin My daughter has had her eye on this dinks bottle with her name on it for ages, I didn't get it as I thought it a waist of money.
I've just asked her if I buy it for her, she can only have water in it. She's said yes.
I'll buy evian as tap water does taste horrible. This could be good. smile

RockinSockBunnies Mon 22-Jun-09 18:18:18

Aside from water, though, what's the alternative to squash for a sugar-free drink for children? I used to give DD diluted, organic juice, until we discovered that she needed three fillings aged six. Following that, juice is essentially banned, milk and water are encouraged, but squash (very diluted) is also occasionally allowed. I hate that DD has the artificial sweeteners but for me it seems to be a choice between those and tooth decay (in spite of brushing, flossing and mouthwash).

Does anyone know of any other kinds of sugar free yet tasty drink?

Tryingtobehealthy Mon 22-Jun-09 18:49:30

Grimma, I didn't know about the Sainsbury's ones with Sucralose, that's good to know! I's not an issue for the kids as they only drink wter, milk or very occasionally Rocks, but I dirnk sugar-free squash and have been looking for ones without aspartame.

SoupDragon Mon 22-Jun-09 18:54:23

"what's the alternative to squash for a sugar-free drink for children?"

Squash isn't sugar free! Not if it has any fruit in it at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now