Baby roll off the bed

(44 Posts)
sc1182 Mon 13-Apr-09 22:57:26

I am upset and blaming myself for leaving my baby near the edge of the bed to use computer for few seconds.

frasersmummy Mon 13-Apr-09 23:02:38

sc... I dont know any new mum who doesnt tell this story

Assuming you have normal size bed and carpet baby will be fine

BexieID Mon 13-Apr-09 23:03:34

I know exactly how you feel as this happened to us with Tom. We used to leave him on the bed every morning without a nappy on for half an hour. He rolled off trying to get on his tummy we think. Gave him plenty of hugs and checked him over. Felt really guilty though. He also tried climbing out of his cot before he was walking and fell. In fact, he fell off the bed a couple of days ago when he was jumping on it!

lockets Mon 13-Apr-09 23:03:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

theDreadPirateRabbits Mon 13-Apr-09 23:11:50

Isn't this one of the standard achievement milestones for all children?

cheekster Mon 13-Apr-09 23:17:07

I totally sympathise, It happened to me a month ago and I felt like the worst mum in the world.

But wait, my excuse is so much worse - I was in the ensuite shower!

Still cant believe I left him on the bed, ok he was in the middle of the bed with pillows at either side to stop him from falling hmm
But what was I thinking???????

He went with such a bang bless him sad

Still havent forgiven myself

SadieSunshine Mon 13-Apr-09 23:17:55

It took us 13 days.

cat64 Mon 13-Apr-09 23:21:21

Message withdrawn

Niecie Mon 13-Apr-09 23:23:47

I did it with DS1 - I cried more than he did but he was fine.blush

I swore that I wouldn't let it happen again. Needless to say DS2 found himself unexpectedly lying on the carpet too.

It is a parenting Rite of Passage.

I wouldn't mind but neither of them could actually roll and to this day I don't know how they did it!

Babies are very robust little creatures you know - just as well really!smile

chegirl Mon 13-Apr-09 23:29:51

I managed this with my FOURTH baby (I put that in caps because surely I should know better by now blush}

It was off a bloody great divan too!

I felt awful. I was far too embarressed to tell anyone.

Luckily DS3 was fine and sort of bounced of the carpet.

Phew.

sc1182 Mon 13-Apr-09 23:30:47

I keep telling myself it is an accident but I still think it is my fault, why did I turn away and use the computer otherwise this will not happened. She didn't climb on the bed herself. It cause by me because she know how to roll a bit but not all the times especially when she has something on her hand.

chegirl Mon 13-Apr-09 23:32:20

My friend put her baby on the floor in the living room. He was only teeny and couldnt move yet.
She went out of the room for something and when she came back he was GONE shock.

She was frantic and checked the french doors for signs of kidnappers, scrabbled around getting more and more panicky.

Little bugger had rolled under the sofa!

They do it on purpose you know wink

nappyaddict Tue 14-Apr-09 00:05:37

Am I the only one who hasn't done this? Then again DS was always a floor baby. He was never happy on a chair or sofa or anything until he could sit up. Or perhaps I've just forgotten hmm

purpleduck Tue 14-Apr-09 00:07:58

yeah,dd fell off the bed too - babies bounce

DeathbyDora Tue 14-Apr-09 00:21:17

Yup, me too. DD rolled off the bed during 'nappy free time' while I checked the bath water.

Think most of us have bashed ourselves on the head with the 'I'm the Worst Mother in the World' stick for something like this at some point.

I read Michael J Fox's new book recently and he described looking after babies/toddlers to David Letterman as...."One long suicide watch. Basically they try to find as many ways to choke/injure/kill themselves as possible and your job is to stop it before it happens".
Pretty much describes my son exactly!

Don't beat yourself up SC1182.

ja9 Tue 14-Apr-09 00:29:10

Me too. DD was 4 mths. Put her down in middle of a kingsize bed at sil house. Went back up to check if she had gone over and she was on floor crying. Felt awful.

Older ds could sleep in a double bed, without moving til he was about 11 mo so i assumed it would be fine... blush

sc1182 Tue 14-Apr-09 00:31:24

I just keep thinking I could of stop that happened if I didn't stand up to look at the computer. If I sat down I could see her and I can put my hand on her.

Keep thinking and blaming myself.

I keep saying if I didn't put her there then she will be fine or watch tv with her when we in the living room and not going to use the computer.

I have failed my job to let this happened.

beanieb Tue 14-Apr-09 00:32:54

She's fine though so really don't blame yourself.

**wonders about the computer thing, it seems so important hmm**

Tortington Tue 14-Apr-09 00:38:01

i fell asleep feeding one of mine and out and out dropped him. <ahem>

i fell asleep feeding Ds2 (who is my fourth child) on my bed, woke up and couldn't find him, he was fast asleep on the floor..... must have rolled off and gone back to sleep...

seriouscase Tue 14-Apr-09 00:45:50

SC you need to go to bed and get some sleep, you will feel better in the morning I promise. We have all been there! Please stop beating yourself up over this.

sc1182 Tue 14-Apr-09 00:54:13

It is not important only checking emails, waiting for her milk to cool down and my husband normally does that.

When she was little I mentioned to my husband not to take her to the computer room and he ignore me and keep taking her so I thought it should be fine. All the other time was fine. Should of not copy him.

It is my husband papers work on the bed that why I put her near the edge.

That why I keep blaming myself and angry when I think about it. Emails it is not important but baby is.

Tortington Tue 14-Apr-09 00:55:17

just leave the kid on the floor

iSOLOvechocolate Tue 14-Apr-09 00:58:50

My Dd fell between my bed and the bedside table upside down twice in two days.

She was fine, but of course we as mummies always hurt over it.

sc1182 Tue 14-Apr-09 01:09:33

Yep I am really hurt when this happen I cried more than my baby.

When this happened mum was there and all she does just moan at me and said what am I doing. When I asked her to looked after my baby while I making milk and she replied I am busy with writing up some forms.

Mum never really help me and she moan, tell me off anything happen to my baby.

iSOLOvechocolate Tue 14-Apr-09 01:25:16

Stop beating yourself up, it wont help anyone. It'll likely happen again and worse sometimes! it's just life!

sc1182 Tue 14-Apr-09 01:37:13

Thanks iSOLOvechocolate

I know what you mean, just that someone mention computer important and this make me sad and angry because why am I need to use it at that time.

Now she is sleeping so it safe to use.

I wish I can stop it happen in the future, I will not make the same mistake.

iSOLOvechocolate Tue 14-Apr-09 01:43:58

Then job done and lesson learned!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 14-Apr-09 01:49:37

Please, sc1182, stop feeling guilty about this. As everyone else has said, we've (almost) all done it, one way or another, and your baby is fine. Forget it, honestly.

BexieID Tue 14-Apr-09 10:13:33

They do far worse as they get older. Tom has slipped backwards a couple of times this week as the floor he was on was wet. He was quite sweet bringing in his watering cans for me to fill up and the little look on his face.

LIZS Tue 14-Apr-09 10:20:38

It happens - ds was almost a year(Mother's day!) , dd less than 6 months . Mild compared to what is, inevitably , to come , sorry.

chimchar Tue 14-Apr-09 10:24:36

another one here...happenned with each of my 3 kids. agree, tiz a rite of passage! grin

try not to beat yourself up...it was an accident. your baby is ok i'm assuming? smile

sc1182 Tue 14-Apr-09 16:05:43

She is fine now.

I normally think things over when it is happened. I am trying my best to change the way I am doing and stop being like this because in the future it will be more accident maybe cause by me or not.

I almost forgot to prepare food for her to eat due to upset.

Mum told me the same and she is angry with me now and told me stop thinking.

Morloth Tue 14-Apr-09 16:46:51

They are tougher than they look. DS took a header off the bed and the lounge and got out of his cot and landed on his nose and attempted to ride his scooter thing down a flight of steps.

DH once clocked DS's head on a doorway during a nighttime nappy change.

It happens and it will get worse wink.

At age 4ish (not sure but definitely old enough to know better) I did a 'forward roll' down the stairs, to see if I could.

Still haven't admitted to Ma that it wasn't actually an accident blush

sweetkitty Tue 14-Apr-09 17:07:58

Happened to me last week and I'm on my THIRD baby.

I agree right of passage and once they do it they never do it again as you will never allow them too.

sc1182 Tue 14-Apr-09 18:27:52

Thanks for everyone advice.

1 min I am ok and another min I think about this. It is not good because I will sometimes ignore my baby.

She just likes me now always looking at the ceiling and thinking something.

How long does it take for everyone to forget this?

I think I am so mind because it is cause by me not my baby, all my family said their baby fall it is cause by themself not the mother who careless like me.

Oh SC - it was your baby that rolled, not you pushing her off... That's what most people mean...

BTW - where are you from? Do you have much family around? (Mothers aren't always the most supportive family when you're getting the hang of motherhood.) Is your husband/partner around?

You'll get a lot of support here on mumsnet. And I hope you'll realise that most of us are making it up as we go along, and hoping we don't kill our children on the way smile.

sc1182 Tue 14-Apr-09 20:14:44

theDreadPirateRoberts

No I didn't push her, she roll on the side herself and I thought my legs can block her from falling which can't.

From UK, actually it is my mum the one said she never make this mistake and my aunt told me she does it with my cousin

She mention it is part of their development so don't blame myself and I can't overprotective my kid too much not good.

Yep husband around but not really supportive, it is he stuff on the way that why my baby on the edge of the bed.

twinsandbabymum Fri 27-Apr-12 02:23:11

God - I know these posts are old, but hope someone still reading them.
I feel terrible!!!!
It's 2.20am, and my 7 month old baby just woke up for a feed. I was so out of it - one minute he was lying on the bed beside me, the next he had rolled off my quite high divan and landed with a thud on the carpet. I screamed out in horror.
He was very distressed, but didn't lose consciousness, and hasn't been sick. He has been coughing a bit, but think he has a slight bug anyway.
He seems his usual self now, but am so annoyed with myself, and unsure whether I should take him to the doc's tomorrow.

janie2 Fri 27-Apr-12 22:17:59

let my 4 day old fall off the bed - I fell asleep while BF and clearly I was near the edge of the bed.

Phoned NHS 24, ended up in A&E only for my son to be sound asleep and the doctor saying he didn't want to wake him and he seems fine!

Cried for 2 days, plucked up courage to tell a couple of people and bloody hell nearly all my firneds have had a child roll off a bed shock

You'll feel better in a day or two - I promise!

janie2 Fri 27-Apr-12 22:18:33

friends even ?firneds?

janie2 Fri 27-Apr-12 22:23:10

just got a bit confused about dates here!

twinsandbabymum - if didn't lose consiousness and not sick I think they say not to be too concerned. if more drowsy than usual then maybe NHS24 otherwise I'm sure it'll be fine. I don't think you're GP will mind if you want to pop in though if it would make you feel better.

Twinkleinmyeye Sat 28-Apr-12 21:10:48

Erm... DS1 rolled off the bed and head first into his dirty (cloth!) nappy bin when he was about 5 months. I'm ashamed to say that the sight of his feet sticking out the top and wiggling did make me titter as I pulled him out. smile it's never seemed to adversely affect him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now