Why cant i give gripe water to my 2 1/2 week old

(7 Posts)
helsywebb Wed 21-Jan-09 09:19:59

Hi, i have a 2 and a half week old baby boy, who is really struggling with his wind, and suffers terribly with colic in the early evening, every evening. His high pitched scream breaks my heart, and he is wrenching up his little knees, poor thing. Ive been using dentinox in his bottle for over a week now. He doesnt seem to suffer too bad during the day, just from about 7pm - midnight he is really bad. He is always hungry, and really gulps his food!

Everyone suggests gripe water, but on the box it says not to give to babies under 1 month. I cant see why not? He is a healthy weight at 8lbs 13oz, (born 8lbs 2oz) so is gaining weight steadily.

Has anyone else used in a baby under 1 month?
Thanks

littleducks Wed 21-Jan-09 09:22:36

it isnt suitable, there are other products, i like dentinox colic drops or gripe water can be given on drs recommendation (not prescribed as suuch as you dont get a prescription but dr examines baby and recommends)

I didn't use it until 8 weeks. Don't know the reason why it's not suitable before a month, but it's on the box for a reason. Can you try infocol? It was a bit strong for my ds, but wiorth a go. A friend also recommended colief.

Tinkjon Wed 21-Jan-09 21:56:03

Dentinox is fab, think you can give that from birth? Though please check this, don't take my word for it!! Try baby massage - read up on the stomach massages.

cheesesarnie Wed 21-Jan-09 21:57:31

id stick to what it says on the box.hes too young.

Hopefully Thu 22-Jan-09 10:26:58

I spoke to doc and (vaguely sensible) HV about this, and even though my DS was 9lb 9oz at birth, and gained weight like a trooper, they still advised I wait till at least 4 weeks. They mentioned a couple of reasons, among which was giving dill oil to such a young digestive system, some people are allergic to dill, and in order for it to have an effect you'd have to give the recommended dose, which is a reasonable amount of extra water for a small baby if you give it more than once a day.

massage really helps. massage the tummy in a circular motion, also I used to massage by placing my thumb pad and middle fingerpad in the area either side of the groin in the leg crease area and use circular movements. there's also a position called the tiger i think where you hold them in a certain way with their tummy resting along you arm but i haven't done this one so can't tell you how. It helps with the pressure of their tummy on your arm. hope that helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now