Anyone tried "Little Kickers" footie training clubs?

(22 Posts)
Lotster Thu 15-Jan-09 17:36:29

For 18 months - 4 year olds. Franchises around the country and just seen one near me.

Looked like fun but just wondered if anyone has signed their kids up and how they found it?

My 2.5 year old loves kicking a football (in fact we think his skills are quite silky grin) but a bit put off by signing up for 12 weeks as am due no.2 in 6 weeks.
So was thinking of asking to have a taster session or two or sign him up later in year - at over £8 per 45 mins session I want to be sure it's good.

TIA

PuzzleRocks Thu 15-Jan-09 18:22:45

Bumping for you.

eekareindeer Thu 15-Jan-09 18:30:32

My DS has been going to Little Kickers for ages. Infact, for such a long time that he's moved up through the ranks of Mighty Kickers and is now in Mega Kickers (he's 5).

He absolutely loves it.

The classes are very sweet for the tiny ones. The coaches incorporate learning colours and counting into the class. And they have a "sharing ball" which they have to pass to each other nicely, etc.

My DS is and always has been very keen on ball games so its a perfect activity for him. I can recommend it as a well run class and worthwhile activity but obv you won't know if your DS is going to enjoy it unless he has a go.

Lotster Thu 15-Jan-09 18:39:20

Thanks for the bump Puzzle!

That's great, thanks Eek. Sounds like I should definately sign him up when things are settled again. Maybe they'll let me do a one off if they're not too busy in the meantime.

nappyaddict Thu 15-Jan-09 18:57:44

Socatots is cheaper do they have one of those near you?

MrsMattie Thu 15-Jan-09 18:59:15

Yes. Crap for very young children, imo. My son was 2.5 when he did it and he was just too young. He is doing something similar now (Enjoy-a-Ball) at the age of 4 and loves it. I think you're better off taking a ball to the park, to be honest.

MrsMattie Thu 15-Jan-09 18:59:53

Also, they coerce you into buying the kit, which is an extra cost. Cheeky.

eekareindeer Thu 15-Jan-09 19:44:13

My DS was not too young for it at 2.5. I can't remember exactly how old he was when he started but he was definitely still in nappies!

The kit was free.

Just to put a different perspective on it to Mrs Mattie's.

Lotster Thu 15-Jan-09 20:04:03

thanks ladies - not sure I need to fork out for a kit right now though! Looking at Socatots too. smile

dinkystinky Fri 16-Jan-09 21:15:03

My DS does it - he's 2.9 now and started at 2.4 months. He really enjoys it but didnt really "get" it for the first couple of months (never listened to the coach) but in the last 3 months he's really got and loves it (when I ask him about it he tells me exactly what he did and when he listened to the teacher grin). He really loves it - and it has been good for teaching him to listen to the coach and take turns. Agree that buying the kit is an additional expense but they are huge and will last for ages. Waiting lists can be quite long for classes I found (or at least around where I live) so definitely worth enquiring about the waiting list time.

If in London, Kiddikicks do similar classes for similar prices around London too.

Lotster Fri 16-Jan-09 23:49:50

I am in London, thanks for the lead!

2HotCrossBunsAnd1InTheOven Wed 21-Jan-09 13:09:39

Another fan here. DS1 has been doing this for just over a year (he's currently 3.7) and he goes on a Saturday with daddy. I'm about to put DS2 on the waiting list for when he's 2 so DH can take both of them on a Sat morning and we can swap kids! When DS1 started DS2 was just 9 months and still napping in the morning so DH took DS1 to football, DS2 was asleep in his cot and I got some time off!
If your DP wants to take your son and you can get a Sat class I would recommend that for an activity that's special for your older DC with daddy after the baby is born.

HTH

PheasantPlucker Wed 21-Jan-09 13:14:12

We took dd2 for a term. The staff kept changing (or not turning up, so other, random, stand ins got sent instead, who seemed they had never worked with 3 year olds before and, in truth, didn't actually like them!) and we were told we had to spend the £18 or whatever it ws for the kit.
We took dd2 out after a term, we were not impressed. (and we are usually easily impressed!)
We are in SW London and it was a Sunday morning class.

SmallShips Wed 21-Jan-09 13:49:08

We paid for a term and the bloody kit, when DS was 2.6, he got on ok, but was a bit young fot it IMO, as were the rest of the children in the group, it was like toddler group, but with a football and a cone. The staff were a bit crap with timing, sometimes turning up 15 minutes late, leaving only half an hour left to --run around throwing balls at people-- play.

Much cheaper to buy a ball and head down the park, or see what your local sure start or similar do, ours do an exercise class (including ball games) for 50p a session.

SmallShips Wed 21-Jan-09 13:49:48

gah i messed up the crossing out!

Lotster Thu 22-Jan-09 18:21:47

Thanks for the last three comments guys, the thread dropped off my list for some reason so didn't see them until now.

milsna Thu 22-Jan-09 18:26:09

I am thinking of putting ds for something like this! he loves sports and in particular football! am going to look into it!

Thanks op smile

Picante Thu 22-Jan-09 18:34:15

Yep ds is 2.10 and LOVES it.

milsna Fri 23-Jan-09 09:54:31

sad there isn't one near me! don't know where to start looking for something similar?! ... I also get a little scared that kids would be rough with him, because he is only 3 lol

dinkystinky Fri 23-Jan-09 21:20:45

Milsna - get in touch with your local leisure centre - they sometimes run football and other sports classes for kids.

milsna Mon 26-Jan-09 06:30:06

yes I shall do, thank you

MummyOf3children Fri 04-Mar-16 17:47:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now