Price of children' party entertainers

(19 Posts)
Tinkjon Fri 04-Jan-08 23:17:14

£190 for an entertainer to run a 2 hour party, excluding food & party bags and having to pay for the venue on top - is this really the going rate?!

Tinkjon Sat 05-Jan-08 12:59:23

Bumpity-bump, anybody?

chocolatespiders Sat 05-Jan-08 13:00:53

i would have said £50 an hour

Hulababy Sat 05-Jan-08 13:01:52

I looked into it for DD's birthday last year. We are based in Sheffield and going rate was about £100-£120 for a two hour party.

LIZS Sat 05-Jan-08 13:05:26

Sounds feasible I'm afraid .

Tinkjon Sat 05-Jan-08 13:17:42

OK, at least I'm not being ripped off then! Thanks!

annh Sat 05-Jan-08 17:04:27

Probably depends slightly on where you live. We are in SE and rates tend to be 150-190 pounds for about 2 hours so you may find someone a bit cheaper but you are certainly not being ripped off either! (Annh wanders off to ponder feasibility of a new career ...)

Tinkjon Sat 05-Jan-08 17:23:07

We're in SE too, annh. I hate paying that money for something I could do myself, but I get really nervous at doing the games and being all 'centre of attention' sort of thing, when you have to be in charge of all the kids. It makes me so self-conscious and really spoils the party for me, so this year I thought I could get an entertainer and actually enjoy DD's birthday! Well, as much as you can enjoy something that involves 25 screaming kids hyped on sugar, that is smile

serin Sat 05-Jan-08 17:58:24

FWIW the N.W. is no better than S.E. when it comes to the price of kids entertainers and in our experience most of them will only agree to a 45min slot!

The female clown who did DS1's 5th party lives in a mansion, they get hundreds for doing corporate events/hotels too.

SoupDragon Sat 05-Jan-08 17:59:21

"something that involves 25 screaming kids hyped on sugar"

And that explains why children's entertainers are so expensive!

robinredbreast Sat 05-Jan-08 18:36:18

what does a childrens entertainer actually do?

southeastastra Sat 05-Jan-08 18:46:05

the clown i know certainly doesn't live in a mansion! usual price is around £150 for hour and half.

remember they work weekends too.

Tinkjon Sat 05-Jan-08 20:24:11

SoupDragon, LOL, good point!

perpetualworrier Sat 05-Jan-08 21:09:02

Going rate round here seems to be £150 and the good ones earn it imo.

Only problem is that there are a number around that can't hold the kid's attention for the required time, so it's important to get a recommendation or better still use one from a party the birthday boy/girl has been to and enjoyed.

thescallywag Wed 18-Aug-10 13:47:09

As a profesional Childrens Entertainer I can tell you how much they cost and why...

In london:

£130 - £150 1 hour
£170 - £190 2 hours

You shouldn't be paying much more than that unless you book through a party company who will take a small fee... if you go further outside London and the citys you can drop £20 off that fee approx

Like anything you do pay for what you get so if you pay £120 for two hours then don't expect somthing brilliant. I would however go with a personal recomendation as hireing an entertainer can be hit and miss... so ask other mums.

So why:

Well an entertainer unless local will have to travel and this means paying for fuel (expensive these days!)and car mantinence you can work up alot of miles in this job ;) Parking usually has to be paid for out of the entertainers own pocket and in London this can be up to £10 for three hours (time to set up and pack down) if you are in central London there is sometimes congestion charge to pay £10

Then there is equipment, wear and tear etc. A good entertainer will strive to update their act constantly this involves attending workshops and learning new skills as well as perchasing new equipment where necessary.

There is the cost of balloons and give away prizes or stickers, the printing of flyers and advertising... the up keep of a website...

Time spent phoning you the parent to discuss requirements...

You are paying for someone who is an expert in entertaining children and this knowledge is worth somthing surely...

The entertainer usually works at the weekend... how much would you ask for to do weekend work. A sunday? time and a half perhaps?

Then an entertainer can only do a maximum or two parties on any given day... We need time to get from one location to the next, a good entertainer will offer you either a morning or an afternoon, so this has to be taken into account...

Then theres the preperation that goes into doing a party... Things need to be prepaired, set up, planned... the car or van needs to be packed... music cds need to be burned or ipod charged and music tracks loaded... their not free either!

So there's a lot of costs and time to be taken into account... before the entertainer actually makes any profit at all

I hope this helps to clarify things a little bit

All the best with your future parties...

www.thescallywag.com

Am in SW London and would expect to pay around £200 for 2 hours. I wouldn't have an entertainer for a small party but for a large party they certainly earn their money...

angelabbie Tue 12-Jun-12 17:46:35

I am an entertainer in Kent and I charge £125 per hour and £175 for 90mins. Included in that cost are two prizes per child, one chocolate each from the treasure hunt, stickers and colouring in pictures, music, dressing up clothes and in addition to the above for the 90min party cakes and decoration and a princess or pirate ring per child. I also arrive at least 20mins prior to starting, take at least 15mins to pack down, am insured, crb checked and include travel costs within a ten mile radius which can be another hour on my time.

Above all it is exhausting lol but great fun. I hope this explains a little of why it costs what it does.

Vintage Afternoons
x

SWChic Sat 16-Jun-12 16:43:22

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Childrens Fri 16-Aug-13 17:26:37

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now