Your top PFB (precious first born) moments!

(160 Posts)
Gemmitygem Wed 27-Jun-07 16:51:51

I've been blushing recently thinking how I've been with DS, 9 months... I've:

- insisted on him having TWO towels beneath him when coming out of the bath so he doesn't risk his main drying towel being wet and unpleasant..

-crying with rage when MIL picked him up out of his cot when he was asleep (OK he was a week old)

- stick his day's menu to the fridge and make two separate dishes for him every day

- always turned him so he can't see a TV if we're out in a cafe (needless to say he's not seen any TV at home apart from the opening sequence of Sound of Music

- get very stressed if his bedsheet isn't the way up so he can see the animals properly

- become aggressive when justifying why he can't crawl yet by saying that my friend whose a doctor said his emotional reactions are highly developed

I could go on.... come on, I'm sure someone has worse ones!

I do the TV bit. We don't have a TV. That's not too bad IMHO - TVs are not good.

MaloryTowers Wed 27-Jun-07 16:54:10

op

you should be blushing

lol

theUrbanDryad Wed 27-Jun-07 16:56:48

i got slightly obsessive about the temperature of ds' bathwater. now i dunk a toe in, and if he doesn't yell, it's ok. i also used to fence him in on the sofa so he wouldn't roll off. after 5 months of not rolling off, i didn't do it. turned by back for 5 seconds. <<thunk>> waaaaaaaaail!!

LiliAnjelika Wed 27-Jun-07 18:32:32

My history as a parents reads as follows:

Sterilising the steriliser

Sterilising plastic toys

Checking on room temperature three times a night

Buying cat nets for cot, moses basket, pram, playpen. Basically going nuts over cats who never go near dd anyway.

Refusing to microwave anything for fear of hot spots.

Pulling pram backwards for two miles to avoid a little bit of mild afternoon sun cos I had no Factor 40 sunblock on me

Gave up on no TV though after about nine months. Now it is my dark secret. I could go on and on but dd is now clamouring for CBeebies. How things change....

MadamePlatypus Wed 27-Jun-07 18:43:21

obsessively keeping the bit of cardboard from John Lewis pack of sheets advising what combo of sleep suit and vest and no. of blankets DS should have at what temperature.

Weegle Wed 27-Jun-07 19:01:05

I wrote down what time DS fed, how much, sleep etc for the first few weeks to try and figure out his routine (AKA Baby Whisperer), what a waste of time!

Now I realise that I'm too lazy to really succumb to PFB syndrome. But we have the most enormous photo collection.

daisyboo Wed 27-Jun-07 19:11:23

whipping DS clothes off and changing him as soon as he got even the tiniest bit of spit on him. (he was a very pukey baby....so that lasted all of four weeks then I just used a muslin square as a giant bib)

Buying lots of little soft baby shoes so he was always colour co-ordinated.

theUrbanDryad Wed 27-Jun-07 19:11:25

ah yes Weegle, i am the baby paparazzi (see my profile for a small fraction of the thousands of photos i've taken)

smoggie Wed 27-Jun-07 19:30:25

Ahem...I kept a record of how much milk ds1 took at each feed when weaning onto formula - not too bad you think...well, I entered it onto an excel spreadsheet with row total, sdaily totals and weekly totals...i then took it to the health visitor to see if he was getting enough .
Only just managed to stop myself from plotting it on a graph at the last moment.
Ohh the shame
What else - had a webcam baby monitor over ds1's cot whcih then connected to our TV in our bedroom so that we could watch him all night.

sar123 Wed 27-Jun-07 19:33:08

asking dp to leave the room because he was "eating too loudly" and disturbing dd who i was just starting to wean at the time.

theUrbanDryad Thu 28-Jun-07 10:56:57

smoggie that's hilarious!

ColdComfort Thu 28-Jun-07 11:00:51

Rubbing neat baby shampoo in my eyes. To see if it stung.

Actually, it didn't, but I still didn't use it.

Route planning my walks into town to avoid crossing any roads that didn't have proper crossings.

Kicking my then partner when he was 'pretending' to let the pushchair go on a hill.(still)

scrubbing my hands with milton sterilising fluid before I made bottles.

I wept the first time he woke up while I was out of the room - because he was alone and I wasn't there for him.

MuminBrum Thu 28-Jun-07 11:18:42

Finding myself worrying that I hadn't given him enough intellectual stimulation that day. When he was about three months old.

wishingfourgotone Thu 28-Jun-07 11:31:10

PMSL but you wil get over it!

choosyfloosy Thu 28-Jun-07 11:35:48

PMSL

Maria Callas had nothing on me at the HV clinic when he'd lost a little bit of weight. Hands to face, 'The Scream' look, broken sobs.

Diplidophus Thu 28-Jun-07 11:38:04

DP and I thought that he really was the most beautiful baby we'd ever seen. He was far more lovely than any other newborns and didn't have that crinkly look.

We were laughing looking back at photos the other day - he was just a wrinkly and 'newborn' as every other baby!

MamaD Thu 28-Jun-07 15:58:20

I also sterilised the sterilier...... what were we thinking?!

dd also had morning clothes, afternoon clothes and bed clothes. I don't beat myself up too much about this tho. She came home from hospital in a 'Baby Annabel' all in one because she was too small for even prem baby clothes - so as soon as she fitted into all her 'nice' stuff I couldn't get enough of it

(did stop after about 4 months because the washing and ironing was killing me!)

To this day mind (and dd is now 2yrs) I still pick her toys/dolls up the right way before I go to bed at night - can't bear to think of them upside down all night...... slightly OCD maybe????

Anchovy Thu 28-Jun-07 16:08:01

I've posted this before but I seriously had a conversation with DH about how maybe I should stop taking DS round to see a friend with a very slightly older baby as it wasn't fair on her when DS was so much more alert and better looking than her baby.

Looking back on the photos DS looked like a cheerful potato!

preggerspoppet Thu 28-Jun-07 16:18:02

I remmber crying because my newborn ds1's cord was a bit smelly and I was worried someone would notice and think he less than perfect!

lol at anchovy!

preggerspoppet Thu 28-Jun-07 16:21:51

with ds2 I told sil that he looked JUST LIKE her brand new pfb girl, she couldn't hide how offended she felt, although I didnt think anything more of it until now when I look back at photos of ds2 and he was going through his blotchy-fat-cradlecap-squashedface-less-than-pretty phase!

of course they are both VERY beautiful now!

Flame Thu 28-Jun-07 16:25:29

"got slightly obsessive about the temperature of ds' bathwater. now i dunk a toe in, and if he doesn't yell, it's ok." Good method

I am very ashamed to admit to not having any PFB type things ... my PFB was neglected as much as her brother!!

ejt1764 Thu 28-Jun-07 16:26:28

Being convinced that ds would overheat and have a febrile seizure if I didn't take his coat off the very second we walked in through the door ... one spectacular time, it had been throwing it down, and I was absolutely soaked, but still insisted on taking ds's coat and hat off first and putting him under bouncy gym before even attampting to take off my drenched clothes ...

don't think this one (pg with #2) will get quite the same treatment!

kbaby Fri 29-Jun-07 11:01:55

I kept a record of every feed time and length until DD was weaned and Ikept a record of how many times they woke at night, how long for and what I did until DD was 9 months old! The sad thing is ive kept it for her when shes older(why would she want to see that)

Shouting at DH when DD was 1 week old that he had to keep one hand on her at all times when she was on the changing table in case she rolled off.WTF.

Going in every 10 mins if she was unwell to take her temp.

Taking any toys off her that she put in her mouth in playgroup because other babies had touched them.

Ds by contrast is left to pretty much left to get on with anything as it keeps him quiet

tutu100 Fri 29-Jun-07 11:20:12

I've probably written this one before, but I can remeber crying when ds was 5 months old and I was starting to wean him because the saucepan wouldn't fit in the steriliser and I couldn't work out how to sterilise it.

Luckily on reading the back of the milton bottle it said not to sterilise metal so I figured (and thought I was quite clever for working this one out!) that saucepans don't need to be sterilised.

What a discovery!

OrmIrian Fri 29-Jun-07 11:37:40

Taking DS#1 to casualty because he had fallen over and blood was coming out of his mouth. Only to be told by a lovely doctor that he had a very nasty cut lip

elasticbandstand Fri 29-Jun-07 11:49:11

really upset cos SIL and BIL woudnt le PFB in the front seat, he HAD to sit in the front.. despite the fact that we , me and dp were in the back...

NannyL Fri 29-Jun-07 11:53:34

why on earth would you want your baby to be in the most dangerouse seat of the car?

Surfermum Fri 29-Jun-07 11:58:01

The first time I did a top and tail I had dd on her mat on the coffee table, and my "Birth to 5 book" open on the relevant page next to her, and I followed the step by step instructions meticulously.

Enid Fri 29-Jun-07 11:59:59

gemmity -

the tv thing is utterly mad

RosaLuxembourg Fri 29-Jun-07 12:01:55

Rang the maternity ward at three in the morning to ask whether I needed to sterilise the infacol dropper before putting it back in the bottle.

Gemmitygem Fri 29-Jun-07 14:05:51

these are great! Having said that, I'm obviously not careful enough, DS has been violently sick today after having plums for the first time....

alienbump Fri 29-Jun-07 14:30:33

Well I must re-post my finest hour that I started a thread with a while back!

"After flying to France yesterday with my three (7yrs, 4yrs and 6 months), armed with a packet of pringles, a few nappies, a fab new ring sling and not much else, I suddenly remembered my worst PFB moment which I must have blocked out until now.

When DS1 was about 9 months old we had booked a holiday to the canaries. Being very informed and clever first time parents we also took the precautionary measure of also booking a Man/London flight for the sole purpose of gauging his "flightability" before we set forth on the mammoth 4 hr real flight. Armed with most of the stock of the ELC we spent the 45min flight beaming with pride as our obviously gifted traveller slept all the way there and back... Dear god, we needed a slap."

Countingthegreyhairs Fri 29-Jun-07 16:03:48

ROFL at this thread

Am also guilty of:

- obsessive charting of meal/sleep times/temperature levels

- putting cot sheets through washing cycle three times because once was not enough! (apologies to the environmentalists among us)

- carrying a change bag the size of a small suitcase

- putting dd's toothbrush in the dishwasher once a day

- being upset by friends who commented on "how healthy" dd was at 6 mths (looking back on photos now she looks like a mini, well-padded, pregnant Buddha)

You'd think I'd learn but dd is now approaching 4 and she went on her first school trip (to the local forest) a fortnight ago for which I provided her with new trainers, an identity bracelet, a ruck-sack containing sun cream, hat with neck flap, change of clothes, sandwiches, 2 bottles of water, 2 nutricious snacks, a fleece, a pac-a-mac and a mini first-aid kit. Acute embarrassment all round when I went to pick her up and found that owing to bad weather, they'd visited the local museum (ten minutes up the road) instead ... (cue sniggers from other more well-balanced mothers ...)

RosaLuxembourg Fri 29-Jun-07 16:14:44

Oh yes - I forgot we went to Ireland on holiday when DD1 was 11 months - I brought two weeks supply of Baby Organix food, nappies, and a travel steriliser.
My cousin nearly died laughing as when she enquired whether I thought Irish shops didn't sell babyfood, I earnestly replied:
'Well I wasn't sure if it would be organic.'
(This WAS 9 years ago of course.)

thebecster Fri 29-Jun-07 16:25:32

Oh dear I'd forgotten my obsessive noting of feeding/sleeping/poo/wee of my PFB - kept it up for 8 weeks in a notebook. The baby whisperer has a lot to answer for...

Yesgotmyhandsfull Fri 17-Dec-10 20:27:21

When of PFB was four months old we went on holiday to a lovely hotel in Egypt. I was so worried about the cleanliness of the water in the hotel I brought in my hand luggage two litres of London tap water in old coke bottles. And I was breastfeeding.

But also my new friend with her PFB at a buggyfit class with SCREAMING nine month old due to teething. Me, hoary old mum of three, suggested a dose of Calpol? She <testily> But I can't, I haven't sterilised the spoon....

zafrostypee Fri 17-Dec-10 20:52:35

I do the two towel things with DD who is DC3!

I remember taking DS1 for a walk when he was about 6wo and walking past an electricity pylon prompted me to explain electromagnetic fields, and have a little joke with him about how they were different from farmers' fields.

reallytired Sat 18-Dec-10 18:26:37

My made ALL my son's baby food from scratch. I was obcessive that he should not have a drop of formula and everything was organic.

I expressed breastmilk and made him homemade rice pudding. The little horror turned his nose up at it.

Oh yes, my son was dressed beautifully and changed if he had the tiniest bit of mess. I also had matching coloured muslim squares. Everything was ironed.

comewhinewithme Sat 18-Dec-10 18:34:13

I convinced myself that the Nursery staff were jealous that they only had my DS for a few hours each day and lucky me got him all to myself most of the time.

I really did believe he was the most gorgeous special bundle to ever walk the Earth. blush

You should see some of my threads about him now he is 13 ...he is driving me mad grin.

Fourleaf Sat 18-Dec-10 18:39:32

When I was pregnant I washed all of DS's baby things. If anything fell on the (clean, inside) floor I washed it again blush

I also became obssessed with the gap between the moses basket and the mattress... and then ordered a new mattress because I thought it was about 1 cm too big.

Not sure if the preg examples count though... wasn't too bad once DS was born. I think. wink

thatsnotmymonkey Sat 18-Dec-10 18:45:14

I felt like a was pretty relaxed about the whole thing, and was snurking away at the lunacy of some of these posts, then to remember:

I used to lay DS clothes out the night before and spend alot of time choosing outfits

Making everyone use anti-bac gel before they could cuddle my newborn son blush

Going MAD if my husband flushed the loo after DS had gone to sleep. Oh how I reap the rewards of tip toeing around my DS- he is the lightest sleeper in the world. Nice one me.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Sat 18-Dec-10 18:47:25

Telling my auntie that she couldn't give my PFB DS a kiss on the face because she suffered from cold sores blush.

DP was holding a 3 day old DS and making faces at him and cooing. I told him sharply that his faces were scaring DS and to stop doing it. (What a way to crush a new dads confidence) blush

Making family wash their hands before holding a newborn DS, up until he was about 2mths old!

I'm sure there are lots more but they are just to uncomfortable to recall right now!

IAPJJLPJ Sun 19-Dec-10 16:49:00

TheBreastmilksOnMe - i actually don't think that is PFB of you re: your auntie. Cold sores can be very dangerous for newborns

rainbowinthesky Sun 19-Dec-10 16:57:29

This should go in classics! So funny although I wouldnt let someone I knew suffered with cold sores kiss my dc.

MilaMae Sun 19-Dec-10 17:21:42

I ran past moving cars as I though the exhaust was too near pram level blush.

Dsis and I called NHS Direct when 1 week old twin 1's hands went a bit white in colour as he slept with his arms up in the air.

I have plenty more but I think I'll scuttle off.

In my defense they were long awaited IVF babies,I was even worse when pg. It's funny as 7 years down the line with 7 year old twin boys and 6 year old dd I'm so unprecious you wouldn't think I was even related to the mother in my PFB days.

I have a PFB and I get cold sores. I'm not going to ban myself from kissing her (unless I'm getting one / have one at the time).

At least if/when she gets the bloody virus I have no one else to blame except myself...

That said, I wouldn't want anyone else kissing my DD if they had a cold sore at the time (maybe that's what you mean?) After all, loads of people have the virus, but you wouldn't know that unless you've seen them with a cold sore.

Anyway, enough of the cold sore stuff....

Love this thread! It's put my own PFB anxieties and obsessions thoroughly into perspective, thank you!

APixieInMyTea Sun 19-Dec-10 20:24:49

This thread is great.

I don't actually think i've had any PFB moments though.

Everything I did/didn't do I did for a reason and still do them now with 2nd born.

I don't think they are PFB ism's but I suppose other's may think differently. confused

TheBreastmilksOnMe Sun 19-Dec-10 20:40:45

IAP- He wasn't newborn at the time, he was about 12mths old and she didn't have a coldsore at the time either which is why I am a bit blush about it now. However, I still wouldn't let anyone near my newborn who had an active coldsore, I wouldn't even let them near mt toddler because I know how infectious they are.

I wish I could remember some more! These are hilarious and so cringy! grin

I made everyone hold ds1 on a pillow in case they hurt him! lol lol

DD is 9.7. I took her iceskating a couple of days ago. She was the only one wearing a helmet. She was very cross. I only have one child.

waltonsmountain Mon 20-Dec-10 13:23:40

When DD was a baby I became very concerned about her hair being worn away by the cot sheet (as she turned her head).
Cue me going to some trouble to source some white satin fabric which I then attempted to use as a cot sheet with the 'grain' going in the smooth direction so as not to rub off precious baby hair.
Then, with it in situ, I decided it was a nasty man-made fibre fire hazard and therefore couldn't be anywhere near my precious first borns cot and it has been unused in the sewing box for past 3 years.
Surely I win?
blush

I took dd to the zoo for a day out when she was 3 weeks old because she was getting bored at home.
I also had about 12 pairs of soft pram shoes to match each outfit and can remember the feeling of panic when I realised that I didn't have a purple pair to match her ( next) dungarees. I went shopping that day and managed to find some- the relief!

RibenaBerry Mon 20-Dec-10 13:57:28

Goodness, I was useless at the PFB thing. DD was the subject of benign neglect almost as much as her brother. These are soooo funny though. I love the satin sheets!

At 12 wks pregnant (or thereabouts) with my first DC I decided DH and I had to give up the beginners' ballroom dancing class we were taking because dancing (! - it was more like taking large clumsy steps) might harm our unborn baby blush blush blush

With DD2 I was carrying DD1 everywhere and doing the garden most days...

crystalglasses Mon 20-Dec-10 14:25:45

My 2month old dd already had a wispy fringe that fell into her eyes so I asked our hv whether she could recommend a hairdresser trained in cutting baby hair! Hv took the question very well; suggesting it wouldn't harm dd if I just snipped off the bit of hair

BlingLoving Mon 20-Dec-10 14:59:03

I love these threads. DH and I have spent a lot of time promising each other we won't be like this... but I have my doubts! grin

The obsessive disinfecting of friends as they walk through the door is our key one. We had one couple who made you walk through some kind of disinfectant spray as you entered the house. It was like going into full decontamination before you were allowed into the house!

sadiesadiemarriedlady Mon 20-Dec-10 15:08:26

I remember being really cross because grandparents took pfb out in her pushchair and got the pushchair wheels dirty...I must have expected them to levitate.

reikizen Mon 20-Dec-10 15:17:00

God, these are brilliant. I was rubbish at the PFB things, too lazy. But it does help me professionally to know that these things are, if not normal, then at least a common problem! wink

onceamai Mon 20-Dec-10 16:24:42

Read DS the iliad and the Odyssy (check sp) odd thing is though his GCSE options are latin and greek and he wants to read Classics!

marriednotmulled Mon 20-Dec-10 16:32:51

I am clearly the worst mother in the world as I have done none of these blush

My kids love me despite my neglect failings though.

DD told me the other day that I am very normal. Coming from a critical 23 yo trainee schoolteacher that is a huge compliment grin

SecretSlattern Mon 20-Dec-10 16:35:14

DH made me ring NHS Direct (Should've known really..) because DS had "really swollen feet. Look at them, they don't look right."

DS just had fat baby feet blush

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Mon 20-Dec-10 16:44:59

I once rang NHS Direct because (healthy, breastfed) DD hadn't pooed for three days.

As soon as I'd hung up, she let rip with a massive one which filled her entire babygro.

muminthecity Tue 21-Dec-10 01:09:54

I took DD to a toddler's birthday party at a soft play centre when she was about a year old. I spent the entire time following her around the equipment moving her away from all the other children in case they hurt her. We were given the food options a few days before the party which were fish fingers/chicken nuggets or burgers with chips. I told the host my DD couldn't eat any of that and actually brought along my own home made organic wild mushroom pasta dish which I fed to DD while all the other children enjoyed their nuggets and chips! blush

beanandspud Wed 22-Dec-10 15:58:15

This is a very funny thread and I am guilty of so many.

We have no history of allergies in our families but when I started weaning DS, if there was anything that (I thought) might possibly cause an allergic reaction - strawberries, seafood etc. - I would put it in a pot, park near the hospital and feed DS there - just in case!!! I must --have been-- be a nutter.

domeafavour Thu 23-Dec-10 11:05:38

beanandspud, that takes the biscuit!! i think that's the best one!!

itsonlyblardychristmasday Mon 27-Dec-10 07:59:36

beanandspud i am agog!

you win - no contest

For roughly the first 6 months of DS's life, I made everyone (myself included) wash their hands before picking him up blush.

In my defence his GPs sort of do farm work.

LOL @ beanandspud grin

ChunkyBrewster Thu 30-Dec-10 13:56:29

Awesome, all of these. My favourite though was one I read on another thread about a lovely lady who looked into a sign language course for herself and DP so they could communicate without waking their sleeping PFB. I LOVE that one, still makes me chuckle.

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 30-Dec-10 13:58:23

Message withdrawn

RockinRobinBird Thu 30-Dec-10 14:00:55

I go to bed with DD and stay with her when she's asleep in case she falls out of the bed if she's on her own...

She's 3 next week and sleeps in my super kingsize bed blush

Amapoleon Thu 30-Dec-10 14:01:45

I wouldn't let my mum look after dd for the first year and then when she did I used to lie on the sofa and weep, hahaha.

With dc2 I longed for have him one afternoon week, but 6 years on she was unable to do it because of a bad back.

Maelstrom Thu 30-Dec-10 14:06:13

Buying an expensive play mat with Mozart music that I could certainly not afford, on the idea that my baby's brain development would suffer without it.

I also got a cot bed for my baby to play peacefully in it while I worked in my dissertation... hmm

Oh, and I could have ripped DS's dad's head off when he forgot to put the mittens on DS and he ended up with a scratch on his forehead.

allnightlong Thu 30-Dec-10 17:05:32

OMG bean thats a fab one. grin

I had DD in ONLY organic clothing and blankets etc for the first few months, nothing less for my little bundle of perfection. blush

allnightlong Thu 30-Dec-10 17:14:07

LOL Pixie bet that teacher has never forgotten you, she probably still has her copy! grin

Northernlebkuchen Thu 30-Dec-10 17:43:11

I sterilised dd1's bowl and spoon until her first birthday. I have no idea why! Dh and I had few rows about it too - not the sterilising but the fact that it was his job and he had come to bed without doing it and thus lacked commitment to parenting. He still talks about the tyranny of 'Baby's bowl' - tbh I'm lucky still to be married. I also rushed her to a nearby GP practice becaue she'd chewed up some magazine and might have swallowed some of the paper. She also joined the library at 4 weeks old.....

On a flight from London to New York, asking for a down duvet for DD (4 months at the time) as the airline bassinet was too hard. hmm blush

beachholiday Thu 30-Dec-10 17:58:34

Bean wins.

Kreecher i actually agree with. they should all wear helmets ice-skating IMO!

EdwardorEricCantdecide Thu 30-Dec-10 22:49:15

bump

TimeForABrew Sat 01-Jan-11 19:56:53

Smoggie, LOL, I used to keep a "captain's log" of what type of feed DD had & amount & when, & although I've stopped that now as CBA, I was considering doing a graph instead, all seems perfectly reasonable!

pissedrightoff Sat 01-Jan-11 20:55:13

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/parenting/798914-newborn-nose -is-cold-to-the-touch-should-I-be

Says it all really.

Mcfly79 was my first MN name, actually brought a lump to my throat reading that.

dottyhenson Sat 01-Jan-11 21:33:09

loving this thread {smile]
although like a few others i have none, far too neglectful grin

dottyhenson Sat 01-Jan-11 21:34:05

oops smile!

beanandspud Sun 02-Jan-11 17:58:57

Now feeling very embarrassed blush - still can't quite believe that it seemed like a very sensible and rational thing to do...

TimeForABrew Mon 03-Jan-11 08:39:36

Oh yeah, I'd get annoyed with DH because he wouldn't write down how much DD had had or whether she'd had a wet nappy or a dirty one, grrrrrr. This was only a few weeks ago.

plasticface Tue 04-Jan-11 16:52:21

Ha ha ha, I kept vaguely feeling that I should be doing some of these things but couldn't be bothered! Glad I didn't now! DD is 4 months.

katster37 Tue 04-Jan-11 20:55:12

This is brilliant grin grin

Pissedrightoff I have never laughed so much!!! I was JUST like that!!

My PFB is now 13 months (and am pregnant again) - when I was pg with him, I wouldn't eat our because I couldn't be sure how well washed the vegetables were blush. I scrutinised boiled eggs for the slightest hint of not-quite-incineratedness. This time round, I had a runny one with my fry up blush

There are MANY embarrassing stories of DS's first year - I too logged the exact number of minutes fed for, for quite a few months...and wouldn't let anyone hold him unless they had anti-bac on their hands. DH had to take off all outer garments and put them in a separate room if he had been on the Tube/bus before going anywhere near DS.

I slept on the couch for three months with DS in moses basket next to me because I was worried our bedroom was too cold (he was born in Nov, and it was a cold winter...

katster37 Tue 04-Jan-11 20:55:33

I woudn't eat OUT, that should be...

AKMD Tue 04-Jan-11 21:40:57

Laughing so hard at these, especially the 'practise flight' and pulling the pram backwards for 2 miles LOL!

I don't think I've been too bad but before DS was born I did spend hours putting all the Gina Ford routines onto colour-coded Excel spreadsheets and cried when our printer ran out of toner before I could print all of them out. I never used them and have no idea where they are now.

Thinking back though... I did scream at DH for flushing the loo and brushing his teeth too loudly while DS was asleep blush and refused to leave the house until DS was completely covered in factor 50 suncream (he was born in February). He was also a member of the library at 8 days old and I worried that Georgette Heyer wasn't a complex enough syntax to read aloud while breastfeeding. I lost it completely when I came back from the weekly shop to find DS under his baby gym in the living room while DH was playing I the xbox in front of him and told DH that DS would not have normal brain development patterns. At 8 weeks, I fretted that I was not developing DS's sense of smell and packed him off on a trip to the garden centre, where I made him sniff all the herbs and flowers could find and then panicked because I hadn't realised that honeysuckle was toxic. I could go on but I think I've humiliated myself enough for one thread.

Erm, only 2 spring to mind:

1/ I always washed my pre-bagged salad in a Milton solution before eating whilst breastfeeding.

2/ I exchanged a book that DD1 had been given for her first Christmas by an old aunt as the content "was too dark" for a 4 month old. It was Come on,Daisy

blush

I don't know what happened to my blush.

KingTrollo Tue 04-Jan-11 22:57:13

I made all DS's food from scratch, I don't think any sugar passed his lips until he was 2, no TV until about 10 months (when I realised it was the ONLY way he would keep still for nappy changes), coordinated socks to outfits etc. Just your normal PFB madness.

Poor DD has none of this insane attention to detail but that's probably a good thing.

My most cringeworthy PFB moment that still gives me a shudder of embarassment was the incredibly detailed instructions I left my darling MiL when we first left DS overnight - these included instructions as follows:-

Lunch - soup - spoonfeed

How else was she going to give it to him? confused

junkcollector Tue 04-Jan-11 22:57:19

My PFBness rubbed off onto family members.

My dad was babysitting for the day and I had left such strict instructions about sterilising everything DS1 ate his mush off that my dad panicked and sterilised my blender jug in a pan of boiling water. It melted.

KingTrollo Tue 04-Jan-11 23:00:05

beanandspud you defo win the prize though. That is being prepared at it's most, er, prepared.

Rosebud05 Tue 04-Jan-11 23:17:38

I didn't give my dd nuts until I was pregnant with ds. I gave her a peanut butter sandwich whilst I was waiting for an antenatal appointment, so that we could rush to A & E if she had a reaction.

HollyTwat Tue 04-Jan-11 23:26:03

I cringe now but (now) exh told his mother to wash off her perfume when holding ds1. Something to do with scents and knowing us
It was hideous perfume but not bad enough to hinder bonding really!

ChippingIn Wed 05-Jan-11 00:04:49

I love these threads Thank you all so much... the best laugh I have had in ages!!

bandgeek Wed 05-Jan-11 00:09:20

I've done quite a few of these. grin

I've posted about this one previously under a different name, but when my PFB DS was about 9 weeks old he was quite happily sitting in his little bouncy chair when I put a plastic fish rattle in his hand. He was waving it around and accidently clonked himself on the head with it and (understandibly) was howling! I was hysterical and DH was almost phoning NHS direct! Both of us sat there with the rattle hitting ourselves on the head with it to guage exactly how hard it was blush hmm

I ended up putting it in the bin too blush blush grin

TimeForABrew Wed 05-Jan-11 02:53:39

Does this count? My eyesight is very bad, so to save a second or two, I sleep with my glasses on so I don't have to hunt for them / knock them onto the floor if DD wakes me up

Gay40 Wed 05-Jan-11 03:07:37

I don't think we did any of these, but I remember DP being quite meticulous about sterilising everything...until she realised she was breastfeeding DD on unwashed nipples a lot of the time. Then the sterilising was knocked on the head for the "building up immunity" theory.

I had a chart for how much the DTDs ate for the first three weeks or so and I'd never even heard of the baby whisperer, (proud emoticon) hmm.

I also had an Excel spreadsheet for recording weaning progress and introduced a new ingredient every three days. This was so that if I was run over by a bus or otherwise killed suddenly, DH would know what was safe to feed them hmm hmm.

When an acquaintance had her baby I was all set to send her a copy of my very useful spreadsheet. I am so glad I didn't.

Well it all made sense at the time.

quietlysuggests Wed 05-Jan-11 03:49:55

Oh I used to feel so sorry for other people who didn't have my wonderful dd.
Everyone we met complimented me on how beautiful she was.
I didn't realise they compliment every mother!
One time she started crying really hard for no reason, she was around 3 months old.
I brought her straight to the doctor!

UntamedShrew Thu 06-Jan-11 16:02:52

I came to this thread thinking "oh I've not been at all precious" and then realised I have done ALL of these things with my DTSs blush

I sterilised the saucepan, spoons and ice cube trays for all 108 fruit and vegetable purees I would be making. Never sterilised nipples though.

I made a chicken stock which took 4 hours to make. I hate chicken.

I paid £150 a term to take them to 'music classes' from the age of 3 months. Only stopped at 1yo when they could walk and they were making it quite clear that they were bored rigid (pressing faces to glass in the door, trying to escape from the room, generally causing mayhem)

Bathtime was always followed by baby massage in Cowshed baby oil, quite tricky to do 2 at once (1 with each hand) and room heating had to be cranked up to make this possible. Heating bill now several thousand and counting.

On our first holiday with them at 6 months, I spent all day singing to them, moving them to cooler shady spots, reading stories, blowing raspberries. Friend who was with us and her 3 DSs just shoved DS3 in the kitchen and sunbathed, good on her but at the time shock

I took them to be weighed every 2 weeks without fail until the HV told me really, stop coming now (6 months).

Worst thing is, they are 21 months now and I STILL do some of the crazy PFB things!
- Clean PJs every night
- Clean vest every morning to replace the perfectly clean one they only put on at bedtime the night before
- Morning clothes and afternoon clothes, never matching but always coordinated
- Cook them 3 course meals twice a day from scratch

They are my little princes... They are worth it!

LuckyC Thu 06-Jan-11 18:27:04

blush where to start... blush

When we finally got back from the hospital with our prem PFB, I refused to sleep unless DH promised to stay awake and hold/watch her really intently and closely.

Munzle Thu 06-Jan-11 19:38:54

For the first 2 months of DD's life we filled a thermos flask with warm water for night-time nappy changes, so that we didn't have to use cold water on her oh-so-perfect-and-sensitive newborn bottom. With DS it was wet wipes all the way.

HollyKate Thu 06-Jan-11 19:39:28

I used to make my husband go outside to sneeze, after he woke DS1 up once. We laugh about it now, but at the time I could have killed him if he wasn't fast enough getting out.

mustdash Thu 06-Jan-11 20:07:16

Untamed, be warned 21 months is nothing. I only just stopped the two clean vest thing last year, and my DCs are now 7, 8 and 11, and yes that's years, not months.blush I did wonder a while ago, when I muttered to a friend about needing 42 clean vests a week, and what a washing burden it was, she gave me a bit of a funny look......

We used to say how sorry for everyone else we were that we were the only ones who got a beautiful baby in our antenatal group. blush blush

earwicga Thu 06-Jan-11 20:24:36

You lot should of all had twins grin (I think a couple of you have, and you are super mad!)

workmumwork Thu 06-Jan-11 20:44:06

Very funny thread, love the list for reception class (still got time to fall into that trap) but so much is scarily familiar!

A friend with a newborn recently asked when we started using wipes for nappy changes with DS1, now 2.5 years.

Recalled that we were still using cottonwool and water when he started nursery part-time at 5 months blush (just starting weaning so not too messy) but we 'let' them continue (or rather forgot to supply any wipes) until he was nearly 1, despite the fact that we'd been using them for almost 6 months by then.

HollyKate Thu 06-Jan-11 21:13:27

I did have twins, when DS1 was 2.5. Now they all survive on a regime of benign neglect. I was still a bit mad and anal about the feeding with DS 2 and 3 though, but I put that down to sleep-deprivation. DH was allowed to sneeze indoors by then.

Articulate Thu 06-Jan-11 21:23:18

I drove myself round the bend with my PFBness!!

Everything had to be sterilised including feeding bowls, spoons, the hand blender, medicine equipment (and the sterilizer was sterilised once a month). I did all this until DS1 was 1. Dummies I sterilised until he was 18 months. My entire kichen was Milton'ed to within an inch of it's life.

DS was never allowed in the kitchen until the age of 2 (unless being held/fed)because I worried about floor germs on his hands.

I sterilised his toys every night...and he had loads. Ditto his books!

His clothes were washed separately to mine and DH's, and only in Fairy. He had a number of blankets I used to line his bouncy chair with and if the blanket touched the carpet I changed it immediately.

I regularly steam cleaned the carpets and would only let him lie on the floor on a big blanket that was regularly washed.

I followed Gina to the letter, and refused to let people in if he was sleeping. I would never, ever, let anyone touch his face or hands until he was 6 months.

His food was entirely and meticulously homecooked.

Like Bean, I worried about allergies (although we do have allergies in the family, to be fair)..so I had planned to take him to the local hospital (only 2 mins down the road) and sit in the patients cafe and give him some peanut butter. My plan was scuppered, however, when DH left a stray chocolate covered peanut on the floor and DS1 ate it!! My fury at DH was something to behold that day!! DS1 was fine.

I could go on and on..when I look back now it was beyond ridiculous! DS2 arrived when DS1 was 2 (just turned)...and I simply didn't have the enery to carry on in the way I had done with DS1. Poor DS2 has been neglected in comparison..I didn't change his bouncy chair blanket for a fortnight! His clothes were washed with ours and he had jars!! And no Gina shock

Aside from being a very bad eater he seems to be fine for all his neglect grin

Articulate Thu 06-Jan-11 21:24:51

* energy

Panzee Thu 06-Jan-11 21:27:34

Loving this thread. My favourite one of mine was putting the baby monitor on when he was asleep in the lounge, to go to the kitchen. About three steps away. blush

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 06-Jan-11 21:29:56

Was obsessive about temperature when DS was born..in fairness, it was May 2006 and we had a very hot month soon after that (can't remember which one) ..I was stood there with the temperature chart and thermometer and removing/adding layers accordingly, much to the amusement of my mum and my DH

Taking a travel cot to sis and BIL on Xmas day so that DS could have a 'proper nap' and not <gasp> be reclined in the buggy blush

Normanshormones Thu 06-Jan-11 21:55:30

I washed my nipples before every feed (would have sterilised them if I could) because I thought I had to.

I couldn't believe how easy BFing DC2 was in comparison!!

I called the doctor out when my PFB had her first cold (in my defence, it said to in Dr Spock). Dr was not amused.

MilkNoSugarPlease Thu 06-Jan-11 22:51:57

Pixie's letter to the school has always been my most favourite

I was going to mention it if she hadn't already

JonahB Thu 06-Jan-11 23:23:59

My ex-DH was a musician. I used to force him to play his guitar and sing to my unborn child, so that PFB could hear his daddy's voice and appreciate music from an early age.

Absolutete respect to him, he did it on a daily basis without a murmer of complaint. He resisted laughing at me until at least a year later.

WTF was I thinking????

shhhgobacktosleep Thu 06-Jan-11 23:54:20

OMG my pfb syndrome went on for years blush.

The most embarrassing two examples I dare to admit are cleaning every toy the pfb twins owned every night with anti bac spray and a fresh piece of kitchen roll for each toy and then would follow by using another complete roll to clean the entire pram (including wheels) However managed to sell that pram 2 years later for as much as I had paid for it as it was in such immaculate condition grin

Most embarrassing though is standing them both in the hallway and photographing them (complete with bucket and spade) before their first school trip ( without me) to the beach incase they should get lost or abducted and I need to be able to show the police and press exactly what they looked liked and were wearing that morning blush. Dt2 (now 15) and I recently found those photos and she found it hysterical. One day she will do something similar grin

sproutpudding Fri 07-Jan-11 10:07:41

This is so funny! For me, ChaosTrulyReigns is the winner. I love the idea of 'Daisy' being too dark.

I was feeling all smug and not PFB at all until I read Anchovy and munzle's comments and realised that I still ALWAYS use warm water from a thermos for wiping DD's precious bum AND I worry that it's not fair to mention her accomplishments to friends with slightly older babies as they might feel their babies are somehow lacking.

Also, I flew into a rage with my DP once because he likes to listen to pop music on the radio and I was convinced that this was insidiously rotting DD's brain. Only when DD was 7 months old did I graciously allow him ever to tune to his favourite station again. grin

QueenSconetta Fri 07-Jan-11 10:51:11

I have been given to sobbing in situations where DD doesn't really give a toss.

I remember howling and saying 'I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry' over and over again when I had been out of the room (the other side of one door!) for literally 2 mins while DP showed me how to fit the carry cot into the car (it was a lie flat travel system) and DD (about a week old at the time)had woken up and was crying. I did feel bad but still a bit of an over-reaction.

I also sobbed for hours the night before DD went to the child minder for her first 2 hour trial in case she was there and was scared and didn't know why I had left her there with people she doesn't know. Actually that thought still upsets me, but in actual fact she LOVED it and didn't give a toss that I wasn't there and didn't really seem to want to come home!

QueenSconetta Fri 07-Jan-11 10:56:06

ChaosTrulyReigns has reminded me of a similar episode this very Christmas, where my Mum gave DD a book about a polar bear called 'Are you my Mummy?'. I don't really like it cos the baby Polar Bear goes around asking all the different animals 'are you my Mummy?' and they're not until the very last page. Am I mad to be sad at the thought the polar bear all alone confused?

wolfhound Fri 07-Jan-11 11:32:38

I made DH sterilise bottles and expressing equipment EVERY NIGHT for about 5 months. Just in case the next day was the day I decided to use them. (PFB was exclusively BF throughout, and I never expressed.) He never complained, to his credit.

Also, the first time I went on a train journey with PFB, when he was about 5 months, I took a packet of Milton wipes, and scrubbed down every inch of the wall/tray/seat within reach, in case he should brush against them.

Pixie's letter is still my favourite. Remember it from a previous thread.

Bandgeek and her and her dh practicing banging the toy on their heads to guage how much it hurt, then binning it.... ROFL!!!

IwoulddoDrWho Fri 07-Jan-11 17:03:03

I was pushing PFB in her pram once and she was looking so angelic asleep in her perfect hand made blanket that a man in front gestured to his wife to turn around and look at her because she was so beautiful. At least that's what I thought, but he was only telling her to get out of the way of the pram.

butternut234 Fri 07-Jan-11 18:40:40

I too still have a thermos of warm water for cotton wool for nappy changes! Now he is almost 6 months and his poos are huge if I do use a wipe I have to put it in warm water first...

At the hospital I didn't let them take him to the nursery overnight as he was so beautiful I thought all the other mothers would be sad their babies were not as cute and would want to steal him blush

I still haven't given him a bottle and an important reason is that I'm worried it and the breat pump will never quite be clean enough even though I don't sterilise my boobs... not sure how I am going to cope with weaning,

LadyInPink Fri 07-Jan-11 19:43:09

I have been howling at most of these especially Bandgeek's rattle bashing on own head to test how sore her DC head may be after they clonked theirs grin

Don't really have any tbh but my Dsis was Mrs Notebook with her logging of all 3 DC poo's, wee's and milk intake. Also none of them have ever had a nut 'just in case' as our family have allergies (it's me with the allergies btw not her and my DD has tried all nuts and is fine but still she won't even risk it with her DC who are 6, 5 and 3)

BeattieBow Fri 07-Jan-11 20:13:21

oh I thought I was such a cool and laid back parent at the time. Looking back

I sterilised all food things, if i accidentally touched something I re-sterilysed it

I logged all feeds/poos/wees/sleep

I introduced foods so slowly - a week for each different food. didn't introduce any allergenic foods or deadly nightshade veg (I forget which book I got that from), and used breastmilk in fish pie.

dh and I lovingly massaged ds every evening with oils. we both bathed him first

I was obsessed with the temperature in his room and had several thermometers.

Was it Motherinferior on a previous thread like this that had a stairgate on her one step in the passage of her flat? That was a fab instance of pfb-ness I think

toddlerwrangler Fri 07-Jan-11 20:44:32

I posted about this in the BF vs FF board, but ... I used to buy a new kettle every time limescale built up as I refused to use descaler in case it contaminated his feed. And not any kettle - it had to be the £50 seethrough designer kettle so I could see what was building up inside it!

dustyhousewithdustypeople Fri 07-Jan-11 20:48:24

I nearly leapt out of the car and killed someone for smoking near us while we were taking our new son home.

AND, he had to wear 2 hats when we took him for a walk, as it was a bit cold so needed a woolly hat and a bit sunny so he needed a sunhat. I realised how foolish this was while pushing his pram and nearly collapsed with hysterical giggles grin

He seems to have survived though....

Mapley Fri 07-Jan-11 23:31:59

I used to carry round a wee spray bottle with freshly made up each day chamomile tea, olive oil and lavender oil for wiping ds's bum

when he got constipated at 8 months I made up prune purée and froze it into heart shaped ice cube trays so he could have a little heart each day in his porridge.

Whenever guests come over at night and need to use to loo (which is next to his room ) I put a candle in the bath room and ask them not the turn on the light (and consequently fan) lest it disturbs him

Mapley Fri 07-Jan-11 23:33:18

I used to carry round a wee spray bottle with freshly made up each day chamomile tea, olive oil and lavender oil for wiping ds's bum

when he got constipated at 8 months I made up prune purée and froze it into heart shaped ice cube trays so he could have a little heart each day in his porridge.

Whenever guests come over at night and need to use to loo (which is next to his room ) I put a candle in the bath room and ask them not the turn on the light (and consequently fan) lest it disturbs him

Mapley Sun 09-Jan-11 09:04:34

Aw I hope I didn't kill this thread? I was really enjoying it!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Jan-11 10:55:31

When DC1 learnt to sit up he fell one day and bumped his head on the floor, I just didn't manage to catch him in time.

Cue a little crying nothing more. Knew he was absolutely fine but took him to A&E anyway as I knew I wouldn't sleep all night with worry. blush

BambinoBoo Sun 09-Jan-11 11:35:55

This thread brings back so many memories. Most shameful PFB moment was buying a travel cot after DS was too big for his moses basket so I could fit a breathing monitor in it and keep in the front room for naps times during the day. Of course, he screamed blue murder when I tried to put him in that so I put him in his buggy and watched him in case he stopped breathing. I never once napped when he did. Not surprisingly, I was later diagnosed with post-natal anxiety.

Worse still is just from last week. I was making a batch of stew to go in the freezer and wanted to add some beans for carbs for DS. All I could find was kidney beans which he hadn't had before so I cut each and every one of them in half just in case he forgot how to chew. DS is 2 tomorrow blush

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Jan-11 11:43:33

BambinoBoo we peeled grapes and cut them in half for PFB blush

wonderstuff Sun 09-Jan-11 12:36:23

I'm a bit worried about your candle in the bathroom Mapley wouldn't a battery/plug-in light be safer? - DH once set a bath alight when he left a candle burning in the bathroom..

I did the checking the temperature of the room and looking up how many layers to put on dd, and used a thermometer in the bath to check that the water that felt about the right temperature was in fact the right temperature.

I decided that dd was big enough to move from the pramette to the pushchair mode on our travel system, converted it, then decided I couldn't cope with not being able to see her all the time so changed it all back again. When she finally got too big for the pram I used to stop every couple of minutes to check she was OK in the pushchair.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Jan-11 12:40:22

wonderstuff perhaps she uses these candles?

I couldn't cope without being able to see my DC in the pushchair too so you're not alone. Used a M&P travel system for a long time, one where you could have the pushchair facing you.

cookieraymond Sun 09-Jan-11 20:54:42

love this thread, its making me cringe at remembering everything I did - think these are the best:-

- from week 4 I made an excel spreadsheet charting eating, sleeping, poo's and moods to try and make some sense of it all - colour coded too! (In my defence it turned out he had slow digestive motility which basically meant he had belly ache the whole time and cried ALOT until he was 20M old!)
- when we moved DS into his own room/ cot at 5M I slept (badly) on the floor of his room - out of his eyeline hmm - so he wouldn't spend the night alone...
- when he got his first 'barely a' cold I cried down the phone to the lady from NHS direct and then my mum I was so worried he wouldn't be able to breath
- after we would put DS down to sleep at night, wouldn't allow DH to have the TV above volume '8' (ie barely audible) in case it woke PFB who's room was above the lounge

I have embarrassed myself enough!

HaveAHappyNewJung Sun 09-Jan-11 20:58:36

When DD was little DH managed to get an absolute bargain, a good quality scooter for a fiver in the sales. She was too young for it but when I built it I cut off all the parts of the vinyl stickers that had barbie on them as I didn't want to expose her to the marketing blush

Fast forward 2 years and her favourite film is barbie nutcracker

Al1son Sun 09-Jan-11 23:40:02

@ wonderstuff and jilted your instincts were spot on there! Babies who can see their pushers have lower heart rates and sleep sooner that those who can't see them so you did the right thing.

I wouldn't let anyone walk around with DD1 if she was upset because I didn't want one of those babies who cried when you sat down. Guess what? I got a baby who cried when you sat down anyway!

Ozziegirly Mon 10-Jan-11 02:32:30

Well, I kept a record of DS's feeding and when he kept losing weight the paediatrician asked hiw much I had been feeding him, and I was able to say (shamefacedly) that I had kept a spreadsheet and he was actually pleased and asked to see it.

I did a big "HA" in DH's face that evening. grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 11-Jan-11 20:56:16

Ozzie had to grin at "I did a big "HA" in DH's face that evening."

Ozziegirly Tue 11-Jan-11 23:11:24

Well, he had been so smirky about it.

I referred to it as my "Dr approved spreadsheet" after that.

grin

AKMD Wed 12-Jan-11 11:47:54

Just coming back to this, I actually seriously considered DH's suggestion that I freeze breastmilk in ice lolly molds when we had the heatwave last year for DS to lick. He was but I find myself still considering doing it this summer blush

Stangirl Wed 12-Jan-11 16:26:41

This is a hilarious thread - but it's making me paranoid because I haven't found a single thing that I did - have I been too laid back?

About the only thing I've done is poke DD awake when she started sleeping through because I thought she was dead.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 12-Jan-11 21:04:27

AKMD "freeze breastmilk in ice lolly molds" you are mental and I mean that in the nicest possible way grin

(Sorry for hijack)

Ozzie!! So nice to see you back here, come and see us FF's on the post-natal thread if you feel up to it!

awibble Thu 13-Jan-11 09:40:47

Most of my PFB moments were during pregnancy when I insisted on:
- no deodorant (just that crytal stuff which does nothing)
- hideously wholesome diet
- organic, paraben-free soaps and shampoos
- no make up shock
Recall incident at hairdresser when they reached for the hairspray and I nearly had a heart attack blush.

this thread has me hooting with laughter at my desk.

I did so many stupid things that it's bothering me what I can't remember (my memory protecting my dignity, perhaps) but I STILL wake up at least once in the night and think: "He's not woken yet and it's 2/3/4/5 o'clock. OhGODhe'sDEAD! DEAD! DEAD! Perhaps I should go and see if he's breathing? Oh how will I cope now that my precious baby is dead?!" If I don't get a grip mentally I have to explain myself to a confused and grumpy DH, who I've woken with my sobbing 'because DS might be dead.' hmm

DS is 18 months old, and while he took forever to sleep through, he's managed it quite a lot recently without ending up dead. blush

(I should add that all the above drama happens without me getting out of bed. It's bloomin' cold, y'know!)

IslaValargeone Tue 17-Jan-12 20:04:15

Dh rang the maternity ward 3 days after bringing dc home, to tell them she was still crying and shouldn't she be asleep by now as it was 11 o'clock.

naturalbaby Tue 17-Jan-12 20:33:28

when pregnant with ds1 i refused to touch junk food, limited chocolate, sips of alcohol, played lots of upbeat music loud to make me happier and so baby could hear it.
by the time i got to 3rd pregnancy i was exhausted, stressed, depressed, ate junk food all day every single day.

i nearly hit the roof when ds1 (few hrs old) got kissed on the face by a relative. germs on my precious baby's face!?! how very dare she.

DeeDee1977 Tue 17-Jan-12 22:07:55

DH managed to coax me out of the house when DD was 6 days old. Went for lunch at a cafe and I was rigid with fear that some fat would leap out of a pan in the kitchen, over the serving counter and under the hood of the pram onto her face. I ended up bursting into tears, I was so beside myself. DH still teases me about it.

festivalwidow Wed 18-Jan-12 10:39:50

I was/am reasonably laid back, however the two I remember were:

- Switching off 'The World At War' when DD was three weeks old in case she was traumatised by a picture of a firing squad. Didn't occur to me that she almost certainly couldn't see that far and, being three weeks old in a non-war-zone sort of area, wouldn't know what a firing squad was...

- Melting three gel teething rings by sterilising them in boiling water blush

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 18-Jan-12 11:19:47

Fabulous thread! Thankfully my Dcs are 15 and 12 now, and I can't remember a thing! I did live with my parents when DS was born, so they probably kept me on the straight and narrow!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 18-Jan-12 11:21:33

In fact, having spent so much time on MN, learning what is good and what is bad, I'll probably be way more PFB about the next one, here's wishing than the other two! confused

The first night my my DD slept in her own room (4.5 months) I had the baby monitor on the highest volume...like literally you could hear every breath, wriggle etc and it was actually permenantly buzzing/cackling it was so loud that myself & DP couldn't sleep, but I refused to turn it down at all. I now have it on about 10 levels lower.

My first day back at work, my Mum was looking after DD (aged 8 months at the time) the night before I began to write a 'brief' word document entailing her routine. I ended up listing every single detail/possible situation/which basket and shelf clean socks, vests etc were located in... It ended up being 3 whole A4 pages long, in a reasonably small font. blush I wrote her a 'fresh' instruction manual each week, for the first few weeks...I eventually phased it out and now just give her a verbal waffle few bits of information in the morning, followed by a text if I've forgotten to mention anything.

On Christmas Day I gave DP a warning before we went round to his DF's house that I didn't want everyone to hold DD (4 Months) and hog her, because it was my first Christmas with her and I wanted to hold her. DP's face was like this hmm I also used to insist on nobody going within a 1 metre radius of the pram when she was asleep, putting a blanket over the gap and hovering around her to keep MIL away, convinced that anybody peering in would instantly wake her! (It never did, and did it really matter that much anyway?!)

I could list so many more...

DD is now 17 Months old, and is a very normal (and boisterous) toddler, and I will admit I am still very pfb about things...but I think I always will be. grin

SpannerPants Wed 18-Jan-12 15:53:38

This thread has made me lol grin I do that too blackcurrants!

I don't think I'm too bad, although I do religiously note naptimes/feeding duration and wet/dirty nappies on the Baby Log app - but that's because we had problems with bfing and I was paranoid worried he wasn't getting enough milk, and now I'm trying to look at his nap patterns to try to figure out what makes him sleep better at night.

I do take a lot of photos and have just accidentally stained his hand green because I was make handprints for his baby book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now