"How to talk so kdis will listenand listen so kids will talk" - anyone want to go trhough this book?

(631 Posts)
Porcupine Tue 01-May-07 16:58:45

and see hwat we think of it?

Its wuite heavy reading( not intellectually) just very close set type and lots of americna egs
But i reckon we cna do it.

BonnyDay Thu 06-Sep-12 16:00:16

Lol at 5 years. My typings improved.
Boys still very compliant if forgetful. Don't argue the toss about it. All get ready fit school and leave with almost no input from me.

OstrichSized Thu 06-Sep-12 14:22:47

This thread is the Cliff notes for the book. Ive been reading the book recently and I thought some of the scenarios wouldn't pan out the same way in real life. The real life episodes here were much better.

I'm very curious how the participants got on and I any of you are out there, a 5 years down the line update would be greatly appreciated.

I did get a result yesterday with one of the books methods.

Ostrich: dd put your crayons away so we can have our dinner.
DD toddles off in the opposite direction.
Ostrich, 5 mins later: I see that crayons all over the table.
Silence
Ostrich, thinking that DD didn't hear me: I see that crayons all over the table (louder this time)
DD cleans up the crayons.

result!!!

BonnyDay Tue 04-Sep-12 16:24:04

Here abs.
I was porcupine.

popsycal Wed 08-Jul-09 10:44:12

just reminding myself anf bumping...

flashharriet Sat 04-Jul-09 21:38:06

Thanks for digging this thread out popsy.

Am still laughing all over again at 100x's dwarves grin

Banoffi Sat 04-Jul-09 21:24:56

Message withdrawn

MangoJuggler Sat 04-Jul-09 20:45:36

Yes indeedy

CheeseCheese Sat 04-Jul-09 20:39:44

LOl
what wisdom was on this thread

popsycal Sat 04-Jul-09 20:39:07

i am bumping this up...eventually found it
off to peruse until i find my own copy

Jewelsandgems Sat 23-May-09 14:55:41

I have never heard of this book at all, never read it etc... But this thread makes for very hilarious reading and am thinking of getting the book

bronze Sat 23-May-09 12:46:37

marking thread as its just taken me ages to find the right one but its sooo long

Oblomov Tue 21-Aug-07 09:06:58

Loving the thread. Am on popyscal's thread aswell - am going to print off her summaries of the chapters and stick them to fridge.

WendyWeber Thu 16-Aug-07 13:22:37

I have just saved this into my favourites. Some of these conversations are inspired (lunatic, but inspired)

Cappuccino Mon 21-May-07 09:05:14
CODalmighty Sun 20-May-07 16:12:46

hmm i wodner i f HTT is too advaced
start a new thread descibign a typicla problem

Cappuccino Sun 20-May-07 11:34:19

am having great fun reading this thread

have ordered book

however have problem

dd barely speaks sulky little feck

what do I do now? when there is nothing to ahh um bleeding well listen to?

CODalmighty Thu 17-May-07 18:41:23

hmm think so
let me brign int eh REAL expert
ahindredtimes

delores Wed 16-May-07 20:11:58

Hey love this thread.
Have spent 3 days reading it. Love your RL examples, youse havin so much success I thought I'd give it a try:
Delores: so son, I took the babies dolly off you cause she was still playing with it and now she's cryin. You feel angry right?
3yr old: Go away <slap>

Maybes I need to get the actual book, yeh?

dazzlincaz Wed 16-May-07 19:32:11

The critters are bigger, littlemouse!

Seriously, haven't read the teen one, didn't even know they had Done a teen one.

I read How to Listen years ago and revisted it for refresher courses to brush up on my skills. Thanks for starting this thread, it has brought it flooding back and given me chuckles along the way

Ime, don't expect one method to work everytime - and find lingo that is 'your own' or it can sound rather false.

The describing thing isn't meant to be sarcasm btw, it is supposed to be getting away from the 'it's good' by being specific about what you like, eg, 'I love the way you used red for the sunset, it makes the sun look on fire!'

Sometimes when our dcs are being very challenging it is hard to find even one thing that is praiseworthy in the midst of what seems like disaster eg 'I see you tried to clean up the spilt egg when it broke' rather than 'it was a mess to begin and all you did was spread it further'. IYKWIM?

JackieNo Tue 15-May-07 17:44:07

LittleMouseWithCLogsOn Tue 15-May-07 17:14:16

ooh how intersting
elt us knwo how it differs

ThatBeetroot Tue 15-May-07 17:13:18

i have orederd the teenage one

LittleMouseWithCLogsOn Tue 15-May-07 17:11:24

look 100 jackei is taking it seriously

ahundredtimes Tue 15-May-07 16:40:22

Love the pic and its even got snow for ds1 to shovel. Perfect.

JackieNo Tue 15-May-07 15:11:54

OK - so more info needed for them on the consequences of leaving stuff on the floor. Thanks littlemouse. I think DS is definitely more susceptible to all this than DD - she's just getting too wise to things. Must go back and re-read the book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now