Classic mother in law quotes...What's yours?!

(589 Posts)
manuka Sun 11-Mar-07 16:06:59

Mine has just said this beauty - [with reference to 8month old dd who had woken from nap and was grizzling, clearly not going to go back to sleep] "Why don't you just leave her until she's screaming her head off?" !!! I thought that was a real corker and had to share that with you all!!!
She had in fact pooed herself and got stuck in a crazy position in her cot so on reflection I'm glad I didn't follow mil's advice.

PavlovtheCat Sun 11-Mar-07 16:09:30

on being told that 8 month old took first steps:
'DO NOT encourage this. Keep her inactive for as long as possible. You will be making a rod for your own back if she is mobile too soon..'
WTF?

manuka Sun 11-Mar-07 16:10:54

Hilarious!

fryalot Sun 11-Mar-07 16:10:57

xmil used to say (on a daily basis) "now, you know me, I'm not one to interfere, but....."

McDreamy Sun 11-Mar-07 16:14:01

I'm sure loads of people have had this one but the classic from about 12 weeks on when DC's are crying irritable etc - ">>>do you think it is because they are hungry, do you need to top him up, start weaning him?"

LazyLine Sun 11-Mar-07 16:15:01

When they were visiting and I ordered take-away (DS was a few weeks old) she said "Being lazy are we?"

i told my mil that i wouldn't be at dinner on christmas day
b/c my bil and just (and i mean just) started seeing a new girlfriend who happened to have bullied both me and my sister at primary and secondary school i was told i was
"breaking up her family".

i was 5months preg. and feeling like shit. the new girl had only been around for a couple of weeks!

octopussyintummy Sun 11-Mar-07 16:16:41

MIL - directed at me ...
'I was a perfect mother'

FrannyandZooey Sun 11-Mar-07 16:17:59

About my dp, her son, who has given up drinking, drugs, and all other naughtiness and become a fantastic reliable father:

"I would like to have my son back and not this bloody vicar"

silly mare

PavlovtheCat Sun 11-Mar-07 16:18:23

LOL, bloody mother-in-laws!

PavlovtheCat Sun 11-Mar-07 16:18:46

Franny! well done your DP!

McDreamy Sun 11-Mar-07 16:19:38

LL

ejt1764 Sun 11-Mar-07 16:24:03

I have 3:

After ds's birth, she said:
'Thank you for giving me another baby to cuddle'

After I suffered a mmc last year which wasn't detected until the dating scan at 13 weeks, MIL said:

'Oh, you had one of those phantom pregnancies did you?"

Secondly, after various procedures had gone wrong and I'd had to have a D&C and bled lots, she said:

'We haven't told anybody in the family - we don't want them to think you can't carry a child'

nice one ... needless to say I don't go to see them very often - if dh wants to go and take ds with him, he's welcome, but I don't want to go and put myself anywhere near the bullying comments - which only come when dh is out of the room .... funny that!

quanglewangle Sun 11-Mar-07 16:24:22

This isn't a mil quote but have to share it as I still can't believe she said it.

Friend (?): Why don't you apply to go on 'Ten Years Younger'? I don't think they would have me as I already look 10 years younger.

Me: Gob-smacked silence.

Thanks, carry on, hijack over. I feel better for that.

ejt1764 Sun 11-Mar-07 16:26:43

would this be an ex-friend by any chance?

sophiewd Sun 11-Mar-07 16:27:27

Step mil said to DD when she refused beef stew at lunch but happily had ham, potatoes and carrots, a lot better than the slop[ your mother gives you, needless to say was annoyed that DH didn't stick up for me.

Megglevache Sun 11-Mar-07 16:33:48

Message withdrawn

ejt1764 Sun 11-Mar-07 16:35:59

wow Megg - I thought my mil was a bitch - but yours just tops it!

do you still talk to her?

PavlovtheCat Sun 11-Mar-07 16:36:09

Meg - whats the third, you said three?
WHAT a cow

calvemjoe Sun 11-Mar-07 16:36:25

SIL is 7 months pg, MIL saw a friend she hadn't seen for years and said 'yes this is DD, she's giving me my 1st Grandchild'. And the two I've had??

LazyLine Sun 11-Mar-07 16:36:25

I can see this thread running for a while....

PavlovtheCat Sun 11-Mar-07 16:36:43

I think I love my MIL now...

Califrau Sun 11-Mar-07 16:38:31

I tend to shine in EMIL competitions as mine is a class act bitch so I will only use my absolute fave - the only question she asked dh (then DBoyf) b4 she met me...

"Is she Petite?"

I am a 20-22.

LazyLine Sun 11-Mar-07 16:38:47

Meggle -

ejt1764 Sun 11-Mar-07 16:39:24

califrau ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now