Things that dh still doesn't get after nearly six years of parenting

(95 Posts)
emkana Tue 27-Feb-07 19:36:16

... that our dd's always ALWAYS need a five minute warning before finishing an activity they enjoy...

today dh was fed up and wanted bath time over with quickly, so he just pulled the plug out and said "right come out now"

cue mega tears...

it was so bad (and he felt so bad when he realized his mistake of not warning them) that he actually ran them a second bath

busybusybumblebaby Thu 01-Mar-07 17:05:51

My dh constantly needs reminding of the childrens routine.....and we have 3 children now...you would have thought he should have mastered it by now...but NO CHANCE!! I still need to remind him of everything!! some times it makes me sooo MAD!!

lanismum Thu 01-Mar-07 17:03:05

oh no, he didnt put a normal nappy on dd for swimming, oh no, he put a swim nappy on her before a 3 hour drive..............hence 1 very wet miserable baby and one stinky car seat

crayon Thu 01-Mar-07 16:42:50

Just because 3rd old's trousers have somehow found their way into 5yr old's drawers, this does not mean that 5 year old looks good in them.

That shirts look nice, yes, but they are a bugger to iron and they have plenty of t-shirts in their drawers too .

Elasticwoman Thu 01-Mar-07 16:30:05

Forgot to cream and t shirt ds then aged 4 when taking to the beach and then was surprised when ds threw up in the car. Failed to notice sunburnt back so did not apply aftersun. I found out after returning from a week away looking after my aged mum, post hip op.

V reproachful of me when more recently I was so immersed in su doku that I forgot to meet ds in changing rooms, leaving him wet and alone with no towel for more than 10 mins. Mea culpa, Bad Mummy.

Dophus Thu 01-Mar-07 15:16:09

MLanismum

My DP did that too! He was really embarrassed though as he had to complete the class he had taken him too (only bloke with a lot of Mum's)

majorstress Thu 01-Mar-07 14:59:45

That if one of his dds or I am ill, he does not automatically have to become ill himself, becoming MORE helpless than any of us and creating loads of extra work for me.

exbury Thu 01-Mar-07 14:45:13

lanismum - did he find that out before or after he drowned a child?

lanismum Thu 01-Mar-07 14:36:16

that there is a HUGE difference between swim nappies and normal nappies <sigh>

Berries Thu 01-Mar-07 14:14:05

That starting a request with 'I would prefer you to...' IS giving the child a choice, and they can just choose the opposite. If it's non-negotiable ffs just TELL THEM. He then whinges at me because they don't do what he wants them to.

Also, if I say we're leaving in 10 minutes, how come I can get myself and 2 dds ready by the front door, but he still hasn't got his shoes on?

Apart from this he is lovely by the way, and can put a bobble in a ponytail whilst pushing a shopping trolley

Chooster Thu 01-Mar-07 14:11:15

DH thinks that he can somtimes not bother warning DS before putting him on the nuaghty step.

He also thinks that if he SHOUTS REALLY LOUD, DS will actually do as he asks

Last night he also didn't understand why I was pissed off when I came in from work at 5.30 to find out that DS had slept for an hour from 4pm to 5pm and he still hadn't eaten... Needless to say he (DS not DH) was still awake at 9.45pm last night and then tired when he woke at his normal 6.30am

mrsdarcy Thu 01-Mar-07 13:58:30

That when your children are aged 1 and 3, a child-level cupboard is not a good place for a litre of soy sauce. Especially in the beautiful new kitchen that has just been fitted.

cat64 Thu 01-Mar-07 12:37:14

Message withdrawn

MorocconOil Thu 01-Mar-07 11:35:18

Oh I forgot- he also tells them not to splash him if they all go swimming together.

He'e pretty good most of the time though.

MorocconOil Thu 01-Mar-07 11:32:27

Expects 5 and 7 dss to tidy their Beirut looking bedroom by just shouting'tidy your room now!' and leaving them to it.

Commands them to find a pair of socks when there aren't any in the sock drawer! He wouldn't have a clue where to start looking himself.

Expects them to do their homework without any help.

sputnik Thu 01-Mar-07 10:51:01

That small children in the supermarket go in the trolley, in the SEAT. Only.

Dophus Thu 01-Mar-07 10:40:37

Yup - all of the above...

Espceially
- appropriate clothing
- matching clothing
- when DS1 (25months) says no - ignore him
- needs feeding at least three times a day at the same time
- needs nap every day (at the same time)
- boy's day is not cbeebies day
- It is not appropriate to palce highchair in fornt of telly at meal times
- you can't catch a cold by beign cold
- swimming is not life threatening if you have a cold
- cats do not kill babies
- bath before wind down
- wind down before bed
- bed is at the same time every day
- If DS reappears after going to bed - giving him a chocolate is not the best course of action (FFS)
- When DS cries int he night because he want sto be in bedd with us - putting him there is not the solution to restful nights

shall I go on?

Bozza Thu 01-Mar-07 10:18:26

Have to say though that my 2 are very warm blooded which is why they don't have vests. would expect most children to need a vest.

Muminfife Thu 01-Mar-07 10:03:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

prettybird Thu 01-Mar-07 09:38:07

I still haven't got a lot of these things and ds is 6!

trice Thu 01-Mar-07 09:32:41

that if you give in to the begging and let impressionable 5 year old ds watch dr who just before bed then he will get screaming night terrors.

adath Thu 01-Mar-07 09:26:37

_pretty much anything to do with getting DS ready is too much for my DH. Seriously. he'll get his jacket and shoes on and stand there waiting by the door while I simultaneously get my jacket and shoes on, DS's jacket and shoes on AND pack a back with nappies food drinks etc_

Oooh another one dp does, gosh this thread is making me wonder whether my dp has many brains at all actually.

ellieandhattie Thu 01-Mar-07 08:53:41

i always put vests on my 2 dd's mia

MiaWallace Thu 01-Mar-07 08:34:45

Well there's me told

pishwasher Thu 01-Mar-07 08:23:15

or he'll get himself (and sometimes me) breakfast/lunch/dinner and go sit down to eat. Ummm, honeypie? DS needs to eat too.

pishwasher Thu 01-Mar-07 08:21:59

pretty much anything to do with getting DS ready is too much for my DH. Seriously. he'll get his jacket and shoes on and stand there waiting by the door while I simultaneously get my jacket and shoes on, DS's jacket and shoes on AND pack a back with nappies food drinks etc!!!!!!!!!

arrrgggggg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now