Cotbed at 11 months to stop co-sleeping?

(10 Posts)
BexusSugarush Tue 22-Nov-16 20:53:38

I've posted a few times recently re trying to transition out of co-sleeping and have come up with a new plan that I'd like some input on please.

Have co-slept with my 11 month old for about half of her life and even though her cot is right next to us she absolutely refuses to sleep in it and I refuse to try controlled crying.

Letting her fall asleep on the bed then trying to lift, transfer and place her in her cot would wake her up 10 times out of 10 without fail and she won't even be left in another room without us without screaming the house down. Very clingy stage.

So I'm considering getting a toddler bed with a safety rail on the far side, push it up against our bed so she has the freedom to climb in and out, can be close to me but not practically ON me and I can easily sooth her if she wakes and gently put her back in her bed if need be. I thought this might be a good transition to getting her to sleep on her own while still having the comfort of being close to us.

I don't have a massive problem with co-sleeping as my baby will sleep 12 hours straight through the night in the bed with us; perfect! But my partner understandably wants our bed back and it's a good idea to try and teach her to sleep alone if we can.

She can crawl and is practically climbing and walking so there's no real danger to her sleeping on something without full-bars, but the rail will stop her rolling out in her sleep.

I am aware that most guidelines say not to put your baby into a toddler bed until 18 months plus, but guidelines also assume you have no real sleep issues with your baby.

What do you guys think?

FATEdestiny Tue 22-Nov-16 21:09:48

I assume you have 1 side removed off you cot to make it a sidecar cot? (like picture)

In which case, I can't see how it being a bed without 3 sides is going to make any difference?

Nottalotta Tue 22-Nov-16 21:22:23

I would use the cot as shown above, rather than a bed with a rail. At 15 months ds would be over the rail and om the floor with a bang in a second.

BexusSugarush Tue 22-Nov-16 21:25:59

The cot we have isn't designed to safely be a 3-sided one so we'd have to buy a cot-bed which racks up the costs considerably.

Baby is surprisingly trustable on beds and sofas; she never tries to climb over or off

Artandco Tue 22-Nov-16 21:26:16

I would just put a mattress on the floor next to TBH at that age. Then they are safe to climb around

JollyHockeyGits Tue 22-Nov-16 21:28:25

I would try the cot above if possible. Otherwise have you tried going to sleep with her in her cot to get her used to it? When DS was waking easily when he had a cold that was the only way I could get him to sleep.

FATEdestiny Tue 22-Nov-16 21:31:33

You can remove one side off any cot, easily done with an allen key. Loads of parents do it :-)

If you have a cot bed (cot that can turn into a bed) it will definately be stable with one side removed. They are designed to have the side(s) off.

But you can do it with any cot with a bit of ingenuity.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 22-Nov-16 21:33:46

We had the set up like the cot above, it was just a bog standard cot with 1 side off, pushed between the bed and a wall to stop it moving. It was fine

Andcake Tue 22-Nov-16 21:38:01

At 14 months we bought a single bed put it in ds room with cot attached as above then slowly retreated. Within a month we turned the cot around so it became the rail and he slept through. Also me going in to him ( in the single) got him used to his room and out of our bed.

I think cot beds are a bit of a waste of money just get a low single.

ODog Wed 23-Nov-16 14:15:36

Put my co-sleeper in a toddler bed at 13mo in his own room. He still needed in with us (still does sometimes at 2.5) at some point most nights but it was way more successful than the cot which he basically never slept in. Some babies don't like being 'trapped' and realise early on that they can't get to you if they want/need. They feel safer in a bed knowing they can get out if they need. Hoping to do similar with DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now