Newborn dry skin solution

(8 Posts)
TeaGirl3 Sun 20-Nov-16 18:53:36

My DD is 4 weeks old and has quite dry skin. There's so much conflicting advice online about the use of various creams, oils, lotions and potions - such as olive oil - so I'm not sure what's best to use to moisturise her skin.

Any suggestions or advice?

loveulotslikejellytots Sun 20-Nov-16 18:59:28

My HV suggested olive oil for dd's dry cheeks. I found that aveeno hand cream was also lovely, it's approved for use on 3 months + and it seems quite gentle. It seemed to work quicker than olive oil.

loveulotslikejellytots Sun 20-Nov-16 19:00:23

Meant to say I used it before she was 3 months, I don't really understand why it's 3months + that's all!

welshweasel Sun 20-Nov-16 19:01:26

We used grape seed oil (with cooking oils in Tesco) and that worked really well. Now aveeno fans too.

GraceGrape Sun 20-Nov-16 19:02:45

I used to use olive oil which seemed to work.

AliceInHinterland Sun 20-Nov-16 19:02:56

I would hold off the baths, if you are giving them frequently. Once a week or so is enough, with no soap.

Shockers Sun 20-Nov-16 19:03:07

We used to foster babies and I always had a tube of Weleda baby moisturiser to hand. It's wonderful stuff!

Laurah1979 Mon 21-Nov-16 06:57:30

Current guidelines are not to use olive oil anymore on babies' skin. The best seems to be coconut oil and it smells nice too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now