Vaccination

(17 Posts)
LauLau93 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:23:55

9 week old had her Vaccination today and have tried giving her Calpol but she just gags and spits it all out, would it work if i put it in her milk?

gunting Mon 14-Nov-16 21:25:16

You shouldn't add anything to formula.

Are you using the syringe?

LauLau93 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:27:09

Yeah, i have tried putting it on my finger and on a spoon and just letting her lick a little bit but she just wont take it and then gags when she does sometimes to the point she isn't breathing properly

Sophiesausage Mon 14-Nov-16 21:27:14

And do it really slowly. If you are bottle feeding or using a dummy try giving that as soon as you've done the calpol to "hold it in" !

Bubbles1986 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:27:32

Put syringe in cheek and squirt. You can mix it in with the tiniest amount of milk if its the only way but you do run the risk that if she doesn't drink it all you have no idea how much she has actually had

LauLau93 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:29:21

I tried doing it really slowly in her cheek but she just held it there then started choking on it

badg3r Mon 14-Nov-16 21:36:26

Maybe this is stupid question, but does she actually have a high enough temperature that warrants paracetamol to bring it down? Try dipping your finger in it and letting her suck/lick it. Be prepared for it to take a long time! Also even if she seems to have spat most of it out she may well have ingested some do don't be tempted to give her more before she's due another dose in case you accidentally give too much.

foxessocks Mon 14-Nov-16 21:40:26

If she has had men b vaccine then they say minimum three doses of calpol regardless as the risk of high fever is more than the others...I only found this out today as my 10 week old had his jabs today! When my 3 yo had them the advice was no calpol unless necessary but that was before men b was part of them.

I put the calpol into his cheek and did it a tiny bit at a time catching any dribbled back out on my finger then getting him to suck it off my finger where necessary! Took a while but he did get it all I think good luck !

LauLau93 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:50:00

Thanks for the advice will try again. She is sleeping like never before atm though, really worn her out poor thing sad

foxessocks Mon 14-Nov-16 22:19:51

Yep my ds has been asleep pretty much since his jabs this afternoon, only woken up to scream and cry have a quick feed and go back to sleep. It's horrible but for a good cause!

foxessocks Mon 14-Nov-16 22:20:27

The nurse told me to wake him for calpol until he has had minimum three doses

Hellmouth Mon 14-Nov-16 22:23:53

My 4 month old just had his jabs and I had to lie him down and then direct the syringe towards his cheek. It was the only way to get him to take it!

pipnchops Mon 14-Nov-16 23:06:21

My DD1 was like this until recently at almost 2 she's started liking the taste of calpol. I used to squirt it in with her milk, didn't realise this was a problem and she was always fine.

LauLau93 Mon 14-Nov-16 23:21:37

Woke her up for a dose because she was overdue and it took a while but it all went in. She took 2oz of a feed and she's now out cold agaib. Have never seen her sleep like she has today. Is it normal to sleep more and eat a bit less afterwards?

foxessocks Tue 15-Nov-16 00:10:06

As far as I know yes it is, my dd was the same after all her jabs she slept more. My ds has been having tiny feeds in between lots of sleeping.

CarrotPuff Tue 15-Nov-16 09:46:09

If you struggle again next time, squirt a bit into her cheek and then blow onto her face - it makes them swallow.

LauLau93 Tue 15-Nov-16 12:48:06

Thanks everyone! Elsie is doing great today, plenty of smiles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now