2.7 year old still using a bottle 😬

(17 Posts)
GiantChocButtons06 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:06:33

My dd1 is 2 years 7months. I've tried getting her off the bottle several times but I have given in too easy sad

So dd1 has always loved her bottles. And since my dd2 who is now 10months old came along she has been refusing to use a big girls cup/beaker more and more.

She will use a big girls cup when we're out and about busy. But as soon as she gets tiered she wants her bottle. And if I haven't got hers on me she will ask for her sisters! It's purely a comfort thing. She will not go to sleep at night without it!

I have tried to stop her from having them ie; when she started pre school but she gets herself in such a state I just give in and bedtimes are a nightmare if she hasn't got it. I give in for an easy life because she ends up waking her sister up by screaming down the house at night times if she hasn't got it and even when she eventually falls asleep she will wake in the night for it and then scream/cry so loud that she wakes her sister up!

I do not want to make the same mistake with my dd2 but is it unfair to take the bottle away from her so young, I'm thinking of getting rid of all the bottles after Christmas when dd2 turns 1!

Please help!!!!

Heirhelp Mon 14-Nov-16 21:07:40

In 2 months time take them both of the bottle at the same time.

Bluntness100 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:09:17

I'm maybe misinterpreting your title where you say she is still using s bottle then add a grinning face. I don't get that?

Anyways she is only little, it's not good but clearly to do with her younger sibling, she will grow out of it when she sees other kids her she don't do it.

RandomMess Mon 14-Nov-16 21:11:20

I chucked the bottles when the youngest one was 12/13 months old, the older one was less than 2.5 but she was very cross about it - a real pout face.

I showed her the empty cupboard and she reluctantly accepted her milk out of an anyway up cup instead. Job done. Youngest one didn't care one jot.

Bertucci Mon 14-Nov-16 21:15:04

Both of mine had bottles at night until they were over 3.

I can't see the problem if it gives them comfort. They are 14 and 18 now and neither of them have any fillings.

Etak15 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:16:02

Awe just let her have it! Maybe just make a bedtime only bottle rule? Only one of mine took to having a bottle, as she was coming up to 3rd birthday we started to tell her that when she's 3 she couldn't have it anymore, and we stuck to it and she (reluctantly) gave it up on her 3rd birthday!

Blossomdeary Mon 14-Nov-16 21:20:14

Just ignore it. What harm is it doing? Take no notice. Put it out of your mind. Ditch the unnecessary rules. Give the poor little scrap a break.

GiantChocButtons06 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:23:48

Thank you for your advice, it's not just milk she has in her bottle it's juice too. She very rarely drinks from a cup at home. The only time she will use a cup is when we're out with friends. She goes to preschool 2 full days a week and she has a great social life she sees her friends with cups and she knows she's a big girl but she just doesn't care, she wants her bottle and that's that! She doesn't have a bottle at preschool she has a cup but she's too busy to care, the first thing she asks for when I pick her up is her bottle! None of her friends are like this. Also another reason I'm getting frustrated is because she has started biting the teats and I have gone through 3 in 5 weeks! X

GiantChocButtons06 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:27:21

Its getting to the point where she's walking around with the bottle in her mouth all the time. Mostly not even drinking it. People keep saying you dont need a bottle your not a baby ect; xx

TigerBreadAddict Mon 14-Nov-16 21:28:10

Offer her water only in a bottle, any other drinks she wants must come in a cup. I'd only offer juice at meal time anyway, between meals: milk and water. Sucking on a bottle of water will be less comforting than milk/juice and so less desirable. Also, you can then relax because water in a bottle won't damage her teeth.

TigerBreadAddict Mon 14-Nov-16 21:30:16

Walking around with a juice bottle dangling from her mouth is extremely damaging to her teeth. You must put a stop to this, as you know. She isn't capable of making this decision so don't let her will decide what happens here.

HotChocolate2016 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:32:24

How about talk to her about leaving the bottles out for Father Christmas? Then on Xmas eve get her to put them somewhere so Father Christmas can see and swap them for gifts? Maybe tell her that father Xmas will take them to the babies who need them? Then from now until Xmas you can talk to her about it and prepare her.

fluffandsnuff Mon 14-Nov-16 21:38:14

have you thought about doing something like the bottle fairy? I know people sometimes do this for dummies and it's basically like the tooth fairy- leave the bottles to be taken away and replaced in the morning by something nice? If you can convince her big girls don't need bottles it could be the answer and DC2 could still keep theirs

kiki22 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:38:41

I think it totally depends on you if you are going to give in the easiest thing all round is to get rid of every bottle. The little one doesn't really need a bottle after 1 and you will have to try to get rid eventually it will be easier when she's younger.

I understand how hard it is ds1 was so obsessed with his bottle he was going back to just drinking milk and not wanting food he was around 2.5 when I ends up cutting the teats off one night because he hadn't eaten it was so hard but actually he had 2 bad night and never asked again. I told him I've cut them up you cant have them which I know might seem mean but I wanted him to know I was serious when I said no more. We avoided places that sold bottles for a couple of weeks 😁

RandomMess Mon 14-Nov-16 21:42:38

I guess you have a rule milk or water only in the bottle and deal with the tantrum when you say "no".

StarryIllusion Wed 16-Nov-16 21:02:11

I'd leave it for now but make a rule of no bottles outside the house for her. Just so she doesn't get too used to not using a cup. Then when DC2 is old enough, tackle both at once. Then she doesn't have to watch her sister getting what she wants and not being allowed it herself.

TheFlounder Wed 16-Nov-16 21:32:13

I agree with the person that suggested throwing out all the bottles when DC2 turns 1. You'll have a rubbish couple of nights but at least it'll be two birds with one stone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now