Anyone want to swap ideas for entertaining older babies/young toddlers?

(15 Posts)
NoCapes Fri 11-Nov-16 10:57:35

DS2 has just turned 1 and if left to his own devices would happily while away the day emptying my kitchen cupboards climbing on the windowsill to break the blinds, chasing the dogs tail, climbing up the stairs, banging various things on the patio doors to see what breaks first and eating food from the dogs bowl
I got to a stage where I was just counting down the minutes until the next time he was asleep which is just horrible
Do I'm looking for ways to entertain a small tornado with the attention span of a goldfish
Thought we could swap some ideas of what our babies enjoy? It's quite a difficult age I think

- We go to baby swimming once a week
- We've spent this morning in a deeper bath than usual with a whole manner of cups/bowls/jugs/spoons, nursery rhymes playing on my phone and a bubble machine - he loved this!
- He's currently obsessed with lids so I've saved a few up for him (from kill and drinks bottles etc) and yesterday I cut a hole in a shoebox and he posted them through for aaaaaages!
- Of course the classic, lots of empty pots and pans on the kitchen floor while I'm cooking - sometimes some dry pasta too if I'm feeling fancy
- Water beads, the kid loves water beads

That's it! That's all I got
Anyone got any genius ideas?...

NoCapes Fri 11-Nov-16 10:58:25

Kill = milk
My phone is quite sinister it seems blush

NoCapes Fri 11-Nov-16 12:00:29

No? Just me? blush

Dazedandconfusedtoomuchpeppa Fri 11-Nov-16 12:03:13

The hoover! Mine will happily play for hours with it.

PonyPals Fri 11-Nov-16 12:07:31

Have a DS who is turning 1 next week and I know what you mean!
So hard to keep them occupied. I feel like he is starting to get bored with his toys as well.
Sorry but not sure how to entertain him either!

PennyPinwheel Fri 11-Nov-16 12:08:01

Love your ideas...I shall try them with my 13 month old ds, who also enjoys emptying stuff (especially the clean washing from the basket), stair climbing and generally creating havoc. I'll have a think of anything good we can add.

VikingLady Fri 11-Nov-16 12:12:44

Balloons. I bounce a balloon on DS's head or tummy (gently and he loves it!) and he chases it and brings it back. Basically fetch, but for a toddler instead of a dog. We play fetch in the park, too.

A fantastic idea from a friend before DS was walking: a cheap, second hand sit in baby walker at the park, or on footpaths. Loved it.

Feeding the ducks? Anything with animals keeps mine occupied longer.

NoCapes Fri 11-Nov-16 15:59:35

The Hoover is a great idea, between that and his fascination with the washing machine and dishwasher I'll have myself a full time housekeeper by the time he's 5 grin

Balloons are a good one yes, that is all he wanted on his birthday, wouldn't even look at his presents 🙄

Something else I did today with surprisingly positive results - filled a clear bottle about 3/4 of the way with water and added glitter, pom poms, feathers foam shapes etc and he loved it, shook it and rolled it around for a good 15 mins
I'd seen these bottles all over Instagram and never really got it, but they actually do work 👍🏻

Viking we're not allowed to feed the ducks in our local park, we've been told off more than once blush

graysor Fri 11-Nov-16 20:59:59

I have no useful ideas to add, so curious to see suggestions. I'm massively struggling to entertain my 11 mo. There is nothing that holds her attention for more than about 10 seconds, I need help!

Orangedaisy Fri 11-Nov-16 21:02:22

Silicon bakeware went down well here. Particularly a stack of fairy cake cases.

MrsA2 Fri 11-Nov-16 21:02:49

At that age I just had to get out of the house the whole day - annual pass to a zoo/farm is the best thing ever

Sleepybunny Fri 11-Nov-16 21:10:18

I have one of these tornado types. I struggle to find the energy at times.

Here's some stuff I do:
A shoe box or something with a hinged lid with random bits in it. Pegs, fabric scraps, silicon cup cake things.

A toothbrush with a little toothpaste (no idea why this is interesting)

Rice in old plastic containers to shake.

Music (80s preferably confused)

Old CDs

Use Pets at Home as a free petting zoo.

I'm sure there is more!

elQuintoConyo Fri 11-Nov-16 21:18:35

A bucket of custard. Put food colouring it it. No problem if little one eats it!

Dustpan and brush in the garden.

Fuzzy felt - even just make giant cut out shapes yourself (I got a big piece of green felt from the poundshop, stuff you use for a card table - baize is it called? Then other cheap sheets of felt cut into squares, triangles.) hours of fun.

At 1yo i would give DS strips of sellotape. Hilarious results. Also hand over bog roll tubes, lids from old ice cream tubs/butter tubs etc. Child 3D art is fantastic.

Teddy tea party on the floor - not v organused but DS would feed plastic carrots to his teddies for a while.

Get a big piece of cardboard and a length of string to turn into an indoor sledge: child holds on, you pull. Child can then drag toys around.

chloechloe Sat 12-Nov-16 09:27:56

I think the key is to get out the house in the fresh air at least once a day so they can tire themselves out, although at 1 he's probably just started to walk?

Some ideas:
Threading straws into a colander. Emptying the dishwasher - take all the sharp and breakable stuff out and leave him with the spoons and plastic stuff to take out the bottom drawer. DD loves this (but it causes a meltdown when it's dirty and she's not allowed to take the things out!)
A spray bottle with water and a cloth to clean the windows or hard floors.
Some shoes with laces for him to unthread.
Box of hats, scarves, gloves to dress himself.

AutumnalLeaves38 Sat 12-Nov-16 09:43:30

Hi NoCapes

Try this brilliant site: theimaginationtree.com/2012/06/baby-play-ideas-and-activities-6-18.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now