Grandparents

(6 Posts)
Lindyhop Mon 07-Nov-16 21:02:04

Can anyone offer me any advice? Both mine and my husbands parents look after my son whilst we go to work. In laws 3 days and mine 2 days. My mother in law is really good with him and never complains. She does things the way we ask and doesn't let him nap past 2pm. My mum on the other hand feeds him what he wants and when he wants it. I picked him up after work today to find him asleep at 5pm! She said she tried to get him to nap earlier but couldn't and now if she woke him he would be grouchy. This makes it hard for us at bed time. Do t get me wrong I'm grateful for the help on looking after him, but why are the 2 grandparents so different?

Afreshstartplease Mon 07-Nov-16 21:05:34

Everyone is different...

minesapintofwine Mon 07-Nov-16 22:50:29

This used to happen to me. I would feel frustrated but I let it go and in the end I was much happier. Unless its anything dangerous I wouldn't mention it personally as babies are little for such a short time but it could cause a lifetime of animosity, it isnt worth it.

However I know how much my tongue hurt from all the biting!

minesapintofwine Mon 07-Nov-16 22:53:35

Sorry I hope you know what I meant by dangerous! I doubt your relatives do dangerous things! Just things like reminding them that toddlers can break nice ornaments etc, thimgs ypu really want to avoid iyswim

StMary Mon 07-Nov-16 23:08:25

I have similar issues op. I spend half my time gritting my teeth and muttering under my breath when I should be feeling grateful.

Our arrangement is coming to a natural end soon and I'm so pleased. With hindsight it would've suited us much more if we'd just paid for the childcare we need tbh.

Stepmum123 Mon 07-Nov-16 23:19:09

DP and I are having very similar problems with his DM, believe me if it irritates you now and you DC is little it will only get worse either confront or change your child care arrangements now or prepare to be biting your tongue hard for years. What seems insignificant now can blossom into more difficult to change behaviours and poor development for your DS in the future. I may be talking from bitter experience but I do love to be devils advocate occasionally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now