Finding it hard getting the 2yo out of the buggy with also watching a 4yo.

(4 Posts)
NapQueen Sun 30-Oct-16 22:14:18

Dd (4) was out and about walking at 2 quite frequently and as we just had her to look after it wasn't too stressful etc

With DS now just turned 2 I like to get him out of the buggy as much as possible. Couple of issues though (1) he dawdles. Dear God the length of time it takes him to walk 2 yards as he wants to look at/touch every rock leaf etc. (2) he screams blue murder if I go anywhere near him with rains. (3) 4 yo is very good at staying near to me and doesn't run off at all but is struggling with the snails pace of ds.

We went to the park the other day and it's a long tree lined pathway to the play area. Got him out so we could walk along it collecting autumn stuff. He just wasn't moving forward at all. At all. Dd running up and down the path and in and out the trees exploring and I'm just stood in the middle wondering how the fuck I'm meant to do the best for each of them.

Eventually got ds back into the pushchair and walked the length of the avenue with him so upset as he just wanted to explore.

Then we got to the play park and both of them up and on the climbing frame. Dd perfectly capable of doing everything in the gated park so has free rain except for the swings. They are bucket toddler ones so she needs pushing. Can push herself on the normal swings but none of them.

Can't leave ds alone on the frame as there's loads of open edges so while I do leave him play alone on it I sort of circle it just keeping an eye out.

I honestly don't think either of them are getting the best out of this atm. The more he walks the faster he will get and hopefully less dawdling but in the meantime he will literally take 45 mins to walk the length of 8 houses if I let him.

Artandco Sun 30-Oct-16 22:17:37

You just get both to compromise. 4 year old has to learn to slow down and walk at siblings pace whilst he's learning, and has to learn to wait for pushes on swing until 2 year old has climbed. Then you can push 4 year old and 2 year old has to wait a minute.

NapQueen Sun 30-Oct-16 22:20:12

So where do I put the 2yo while I'm pushing the 4yo? If I leave him to wander he could get hit. If I put him in the buggy then he is just sat watching.

I don't mind a slower pace for him. But he just doesn't move forwards. It'd be funny if it wasn't that I'm also having to keep one eye on dd.

Artandco Sun 30-Oct-16 22:22:16

Carry him in arm, put on swing next to him, let him wander in other direction and play on something else alone, put back in pram, whatever works at the time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now