Gina Ford- Contented Baby Routines

(116 Posts)
keylovesAva Tue 25-Oct-16 11:13:25

Hi
i was given the Contented Little Baby book by Gina Ford and decided to give it a try with my 6 week old.. to see if I can get her to settle into sleep more quickly and give her more daytime naps. She is not awful at night but rarely sleeps properly during the day so wanted to give it a try. She is also fussing at night and a bit colicky. I think she is definitely having a growth spurt as she is feeding a bit more this week too.

I started the Gina ford routine last night and it didnt go too bad and she slept marginally more at night and woke up at the suggested time of 7am. It was all going well until she's decided to randomly sleep from 9am till 11!! the book says 45mins and I've pretty much given her 2 hours.
I didn't have the heart to wake her. She is growing well and feeds well (BF and 1 FF a day)

Has anyone else tried this Gina ford routine? Should I just persevere and hope for the best? e.g she sleeps more consistently through the night.

danTDM Tue 25-Oct-16 11:18:19

You have to be consistent with it and give it a go for 2 weeks. It worked wonders for me but many people are against it.

My daughter now sleeps and eats brilliantly and I am convinced the early routines helped with this.

It does seem a little hard core at first. Give it a proper go and yes, you do have to wake the baby and stick to regular naps etc.

ByeByeLilSebastian Tue 25-Oct-16 11:19:10

I went hardcore with it with my first and really got myself down and unhappy trying to stick to it.

It is a good routine though and loosely used the nap times with my second baby. It worked out so much better that way as I wasn't tied to the bloody routine and stressing out when we didn't get fit it in.

SecretSpy Tue 25-Oct-16 11:19:44

Erm we don't really talk about GF here.

www.mumsnet.com/media/gina-ford this is why

Some people find that That Book is not really compatible with parenting responsively. It's especially incompatible with bf on demand /responding to the babies cues.

OTOH it might be useful, if you've got a wobbly table and need a small book to put under one of the legs. Or you run out of firelighters.

Ziggitypop Tue 25-Oct-16 11:21:47

I tried it with ds, found it awful! Ds clearly hadn't read the book and never slept/woke when he should have done!! I only really started to enjoy motherhood when I ditched the book and started listening to my baby.

SecretSpy Tue 25-Oct-16 11:22:17

www.isisonline.org.uk this has lots of good evidence based information about babies sleep

danTDM Tue 25-Oct-16 11:23:07

We can talk about what we like and many people do talk about Gina Ford and that is has worked for them. There was a thread only a few weeks ago OP. Maybe have a search for that?

MissBattleaxe Tue 25-Oct-16 11:23:26

Yes, Mumsnet and Gina Ford um...they don't really go together.

keylovesAva Tue 25-Oct-16 12:24:45

Hi
i dont really understand why it is so taboo to discuss Gina Ford... we are all parents and it is in turn a parenting book. I see that Gina Ford tried to shut down mumsnet but aside from that I think the book does look at some positives in parenting although I do not agree with it entirely.

I am definitely all for feeding on demand and listening to my DD cues..I didn't wake her to feed and will adapt things where necessary however would like the idea of some routine also.

it's a shame that any open discussion is frowned upon.

Thanks to those who gave some insights..really appreciate it.

Diddlydokey Tue 25-Oct-16 12:28:57

This whole website is great www.mybabysleepguide.com/2010/02/sleep-problems-by-age-newborn.html

I did EASY and got on with it quite well. GF babies seem to need comparatively little daytime sleep. Its just about finding what works for your baby.

DuchessofAnkh Tue 25-Oct-16 12:31:26

I would say GF isn't really loved by MN!!

However if you want an honest opinion I found her routines worked really well. You do have to wake them up though at the end of naps - so stick to the 45 minutes.

NapQueen Tue 25-Oct-16 12:32:09

We did Gf with dd and a slightly looser gf with DS. Both responded very well o a routine and both are excellent sleepers.

Sure we had issues; 4 month sleep regression; reflux ds; separation anxiety around the 12m mark but having such strong routines in place meant these periods were relatively sort lived.

Both the kids (2 and 5) sleep 7 to 7 with no night waking and have since 6mo (dc1) and 8mo (dc2).

BaronessBomburst Tue 25-Oct-16 12:34:57

Oh! A GF thread!
<gets popcorn and settles down>

ANewStartOverseas Tue 25-Oct-16 12:39:12

Yes I have tried it. I'm a big fan of routine but I would never ever recommend it.
Each child has its own rythm and it's much more efficient to follow that and make a routine out of it rather than imposing a routine on the child.

My advice would be to ditch the book. Otherwise you will still to make her fit that routine.
Then have a look at your routine during the day, her routine and gently direct her towards it.
So you know usually she is tired after 2 hours, then put her to sleep around that time and keep it consistent as days go.

Remember too, a routine can be great but it is also very restrictive. E.g. If she is supposed to sleep when you need to go to the GP.

Last word about it. Some things are worth bei g strict about routine wise. Bed time, nap in the early afternoon. All the rest will change and move and disappear so in the long run, they are not as essential.

Rubytuesday2980 Tue 25-Oct-16 13:07:22

I have some friends who used her routine VERY rigidly, and before having ds I was seriously impressed with how 'normal' their life still seemed to be after having a baby. So, when I became pregnant, I read the book cover to cover, made notes and decided that we were going to do the same. At first, it all seemed great, three hourly feeds, leading into a routine based on that, then adapting it as he got older. However, two things made me change my approach: 1) I was feeling completely isolated as nowhere within the early routines was there an opportunity to get out and see anyone. She even acknowledges in the book that this might happen, which I feel completely skips over the potentially damaging impact on a new mothers (already fragile) mental health. 2) I'm lucky to live in a very breastfeeding friendly city, and therefore have access to a lot of very helpful and supportive resources, which have mad enough me realise that her expressing/breastfeeding advice is quite out of date.
Interestingly, have since discovered that my friend never went to any baby groups, didn't meet any other mums and gave up breastfeeding quite early, all of which just makes me feel a bit sad for her.

However, saying all of that, I still base our days on the routines, but use them very flexibly and stick to the following bits rigidly as they do seem to work for us:
- Approx times and quantities of daytime sleep.
- Ds is happy with full feeds that are quite spread out, so he naturally fits into something close to the feeding schedule. Big but though, I would never deny him food outside of those times, especially during growth spurts.
- Evening routine (from 5pm after nap) works well for us, but we don't stick to it to the minute.
- 10.30pm feed also works for us, from a DH doing a feed/me getting a bit more sleep, but ds has slept through from then to 7am on only 2 nights in 15 weeks, so we don't do

Personally, I massively disagree with the 'offer bottled water' that comes later on, but that's up to you.

So... read it, try it and see how it goes by all means, but make sure you read some other material too to get a rounded view of how boobs make milk, baby sleep needs/cycles and baby development (e.g. Wonder Weeks book). As PP says, don't put yourself under too much pressure to do it exactly and don't feel like you're doing something wrong if some/all of it doesn't work for you. Every mum, baby and family is unique.

Rubytuesday2980 Tue 25-Oct-16 13:11:36

*end of 10.30 bit should read:

'We don't do it expecting him to sleep through, but just in the hope that he will only wake up once in the next 8 hours.

mouldycheesefan Tue 25-Oct-16 13:15:41

I found it brilliant with my twins. Yes it involves waking them up which seems to go against the grain but it is worth it.

mouldycheesefan Tue 25-Oct-16 13:16:01

Have

mouldycheesefan Tue 25-Oct-16 13:18:11

Have to say mine were already in the Gina ford feeding routine as they were in nicu for four weeks and it's the same one as they use in hospital. So we carried in with the feeding routine and then about 8 weeks we started with the sleeping routine.

idontlikealdi Tue 25-Oct-16 13:19:16

I used it very successfuly wth my twins - because there were two of them at the same time I NEEDED them to be on the same schedule for my own sanity.

Like all paretning 'methods' if it works for you great, if not, don't worry about it.

FATEdestiny Tue 25-Oct-16 13:36:44

Out if interest, what does the Gina Ford routine actually look like? What are the suggested timings?

neversleepagain Tue 25-Oct-16 13:37:07

My twins were Gina Forded and it was a life saver for us. I woke them everyday at 7am not matter how awful the previous night was. My babies were premature so I tweeked timings to suit my sleepy babies a bit more like allowing them 90 minutes nap in the morning.

We had contented happy babies who thankfully fell into a good routine and slept well from very early on. Gina Ford made mothering premature twins much easier for me.

I personally didn't give a shit what others thought of GF, I was the one doing 18 feeds a day and changing 20 nappies so I needed routine.

scrumptiouscrumpets Tue 25-Oct-16 13:37:49

Is it possible to follow a rigid routine with older siblings around? I can't imagine how you do it. I have a toddler and a two mo and the little one just follows the toddler's routine. I imagine if you try to follow the GF routine, it would mean the toddler would have to follow the newborn's routine?

WordGetsAround Tue 25-Oct-16 13:43:03

I followed a variation of it (3 hour routine; eat, play, sleep) with DC1 and it was amazing. DC2 was harder to implement as only 24 months between them. His sleeping was not so great and I think it was because of lack of strict routine.

Susiesue61 Tue 25-Oct-16 13:53:47

I found the baby whisperer great with Ds2. Eat, activity, sleep, you time (ironing) But he is a very amenable child even at 11, and he was my third. With Ds1 I did feed him every 4 hours, and that worked for us

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now