12wo breastfeeding battles

(7 Posts)
KJM2013 Wed 19-Oct-16 18:16:56

My 12wo ebf DD has started becoming a nightmare to feed. We have been through many nightmares to get to this point, bad latch, tongue tie, hours of clustering but at the moment seriously considering going to bottle, although I appreciate this will take the best part of 2 months to do properly.

Every feed has become a battle in the last week or so. Fine for the first couple of minutes (so I have ruled out letdown issues) then she throws her head back with nipple still in mouth and it slides out between her gums (ouch!). She's wiggling all over the place, so in public hard to keep control of her and stay covered up under feeding apron. She then reattaches (and may miss-ouch!)This continues until it hurts too much, I take her off burp her or change sides but the behaviour starts again. Feeding is taking longer (I thought they were supposed to get more efficient and be quicker by now) and I just don't enjoy doing this anymore.

I'm already eating a very plain diet to avoid wind, she seems to burp fine. I've tried covering her head with a muslin to avoid distraction.

Any thoughts?

2014newme Wed 19-Oct-16 18:19:32

Could you express and give it to her in a bottle

FurryGiraffe Wed 19-Oct-16 18:25:15

Is it possible it's a combination of efficiency and distraction- she's the right age for both. Does she want to continue after that first two minutes or are you encouraging her when she's not that bothered? Is she like this for all feeds or is it when out and about. With DS1 I went through a phase where decent feeds only happened in very calm quiet familiar rooms. Anywhere new or busy or with noise was a nightmare. Putting stuff over his head didn't help. He came through it after a couple of weeks.

KJM2013 Wed 19-Oct-16 18:25:33

I've tried expressing and it takes forever to get enough for one feed (tried a modela swing and avent pump), so not really an option.

KJM2013 Wed 19-Oct-16 18:28:01

She behaves like this at home and when out. Before this behaviour, she would feed from one breast in 15-20 minutes, burp and done. She cries hungry if I don't reattach her.

Heirhelp Wed 19-Oct-16 19:59:47

Has the tongue tie reattach?

DocMcFanjo Wed 19-Oct-16 21:10:37

Just to bear in mind I seem to remember a 3 month growth spurt.
Could she be cluster feeding to up your supply and becoming frustrated because it's just not coming fast enough?
If that's the cause then theoretically it should settle soon once she ups your supply. Here's hoping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now