What age do kids learn to tie thier own shoe laces

(41 Posts)
isthistoonosy Thu 13-Oct-16 20:37:11

I'm trying to buy winter boots for my just turned 3 yr old and they all have shoe laces in his size (smaller have velcro straps).

Are other 3 yr olds really tieing their own laces?

RatOnnaStick Thu 13-Oct-16 20:39:36

Really? What size is he? My 6yr old is only just getting it and I don't think many of his classmates routinely do their own shoes up. He's a size 11 and I would say it's about half and half Velcro to laces in the shops.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 13-Oct-16 20:40:58

I doubt three year in olds - I would say five years olds are just starting to get it ?

isthistoonosy Thu 13-Oct-16 20:43:57

he is a 10 (getting a bit tight) in trainers so I'm looking for a 12 in winter boots (to allow for extra thick socks).

Artandco Thu 13-Oct-16 20:49:26

My 6 year old can't. but he's only just gone into a size 12 also. Size 12 at 3 seems huge!

HallowedMimic Thu 13-Oct-16 20:50:21

If he's only a size 10 (which is pretty big for a three year old) I wouldn't have thought he'd need a 12, even allowing for socks.

Hell struggle to walk in them!

Kickers do ankle boots with Velcro, most boots have a Velcro or slip on version really as so many children struggle with laces.

Even hiking boots come with Velcro options.

mynamesnotsam Thu 13-Oct-16 20:53:20

We took the normal laces out of my 8 year old's walking boots and replaced them with elastic triathlon laces. No knots or bows needed.

megletthesecond Thu 13-Oct-16 20:55:19

Mine both managed it by 7yrs.

BrianMolkoismyPlacebo Thu 13-Oct-16 20:55:43

My 7 yr old can't tie his laces. He has no laced shoes for us to practice on. He's a size 13.
my 3yr old is a size 8. A 12 seems pretty big! Does he have a tall dad?

GplanAddict Thu 13-Oct-16 20:59:55

My 7 yr old dd has only just got it, but it still takes ages and im cursing buying school shoes with laces!

There are some lovely boots with laces but also a zip up the side so the laces can just stay as they are. I'll try and find a link!

isthistoonosy Thu 13-Oct-16 21:00:56

I'm not in the UK, all kids here wear boots a size´or two bigger then their trainners (and he is almost an 11), they get use to it and its needed for woolen socks.

Elastic laces are agreat idea, thanks

isthistoonosy Thu 13-Oct-16 21:03:15

I think the big feet come from my family - i'm a 6 at 5ft, DSis is a 7 at 5.2

KellyElly Thu 13-Oct-16 21:04:46

DD was five, nearly six. Three is way too young.

TheRedCarWon Thu 13-Oct-16 21:05:12

My 5 year old can tie his laces. I bought him this book and just got him to practise several times. After a few weeks he was able to do it. Doesn't help now though, sorry.

isthistoonosy Thu 13-Oct-16 21:11:12

Thanks, good to know my kid isn't super stupid / i'm a shit parent for not téaching him this already.

Off to get some elastic laces to see us through the next few years and best get some for his little big footed sister as well

ShatnersBassoon Thu 13-Oct-16 21:14:04

It's a regular activity for Beaver Scouts (6 and 7 year olds), to learn to tie laces.

Snow boots here all tend to have Velcro. A specific outdoors shop might have what you're looking for. Whatever the equivalent of Mountain Warehouse is there, as I know they sell Velcro boots and shoes bigger than a 12.

RevealTheHiddenBeach Thu 13-Oct-16 21:18:04

About 1/6 of my y4 (8yo) class can't tie their laces. Drives me mad!

Artandco Thu 13-Oct-16 21:22:00

If your getting winter boots I would try and get without laces. Then they can adjust with mittens on if needed.

I bought mine these last year. They were comfy, Velcro and warm. They wore them climbing trees and winter walks and playgrounds in London, but also in ski resorts and out in Sweden and Finland with snow

m.alexandalexa.com/kids-snow-boots/s/955?viewall=1

isthistoonosy Thu 13-Oct-16 21:29:10

I've two toddlers and need to buy at least two pairs of boots for.each of them each winter. Those are somewhat out of my price bracket. grin

GplanAddict Thu 13-Oct-16 22:45:17

Wow, they are expensive, but why do you need 2 pairs each?

These are also expensive, but illustrates what you might be able to find elsewhere.

www.happylittlesoles.co.uk/bobux-i-walk/bobux-bounce-boot-pompei

www.happylittlesoles.co.uk/brand/bobux-i-walk

weegiemum Thu 13-Oct-16 22:58:29

We really pushed this (we lived at the to.e in very rural Scotland and really needed them in hiking boots) and our dc could tie laces at age 5
Everyone was amazed but we needed tiny feet in those boots for sheep and chicken feeding and as there was no option, it happened. Wellies aren't warm enough on a daily basis. They could all do gloves with fingers before they were 4 as well.

Ilovewillow Thu 13-Oct-16 23:01:27

My daughter could at 7! My son is a big foot too and has size 10 feet at 3! If you can't get Velcro get some "hickies" - my daughter had them in her trainers, they are fab!

YesILikeItToo Thu 13-Oct-16 23:02:11

Tying the bow is just the half of it - we've found the other parts of loosening the shoe up to get the foot in just and making all tight again just as hard!

JamesBlonde1 Thu 13-Oct-16 23:13:58

Taught my DD at 4 years old with that book mentioned above. Easy peasy. We all did it as young children as we didn't have Velcro (only laces or buckles).

crispandcheesesanwichplease Thu 13-Oct-16 23:50:43

Mine was 5.

I think it was during a long rainy day at home and she needed a challenge. We had a book with a big shoe on the front which had actual shoelaces incorporated. The way the book explained it didn't help and showing her how I did it didn't either. So between us we found a way that she could manage. Took a couple of hours to mistress it.

When she went into school the following day and asked her teacher if she could show her how she could tie her laces the teacher responded with something like, "Oh cheese's daughter don't tell fibs, no-one in year 1 can do that yet" - DD put her right!

Was a small and rare moment of smugness from me on DD's behalf!

I do think DD is unusual though, just because it's not a thing kids these days actually come across until much later, not because she or I are gifted and talented!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now