Toddler cough, no sleep - help!

(11 Posts)
InsulatedLoft Sat 01-Oct-16 15:04:30

2yo DS has had a heavy cold for a week, the tail end of which seems to be a persistent cough. He's fine during the day but at night coughs constantly as he is lying down. As we cosleep this means no sleep for either of us, and after 3 days I desperately need something to try and improve his cough! I've given him some bog standard tickly cough medicine from the supermarket, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I'm not even sure which way round it's best for him to sleep! He's mostly on his front. Does anyone have any advice? TIA

Chelsea26 Sat 01-Oct-16 15:32:24

You could try warm milk before bed (and by the bed for through the night) and trying to sit him up a bit. So on his back with a few pillows behind him...

Hidingtonothing Sat 01-Oct-16 15:34:25

Vicks vaporub on the soles of his feet, socks over the top. No idea why it works but it does!

EarSlaps Sat 01-Oct-16 15:35:32

Marshmallows are great for sore throats and coughs.

beginnersewer Sat 01-Oct-16 19:25:13

Mine does this too - fine during the day then coughs all night and wakes me up from the next room. Watching with interest. When he was a bit younger he used to throw up if he coughed a bit too hard in his sleep, but thankfully he's grown out of that one!

ODog Sat 01-Oct-16 19:45:28

A humidifier solved my toddlers persistent night cough immediately. They are about £20 for a cheap one in Argos.

InsulatedLoft Sun 02-Oct-16 07:58:32

Well last night was horrendous. He has warm milk and honey before bed but rejected it during the night. He refuses to wear socks at night so the vicks idea is out, we have a vaporiser with drops of olbas oil and lavender. The only way I could seem to reduce the coughs was to lean him against pillows so he was virtually sitting up - but this still wasn't foolproof! Only think I haven't tried is marshmallows, but I'm not too hopeful. Then I'm all out of ideas.

humphrg2 Sun 02-Oct-16 09:04:28

Have you tried something like zirtek to supress the cough. I always give this, it dries up the snot that's rolling down the back of their throat at night causing the cough might be worth a try

Chelsea26 Sun 02-Oct-16 09:06:35

Also not to worry you but a cough that is worse at night could be a sign of asthma so maybe worth getting it checked out by a GP if you haven't already

Tralala33 Sun 02-Oct-16 09:13:57

We had this a few week ago. Went to the docs who gave us antibiotics as DS had a slight fever (but his chest sounded clear). Cough gone within 48 hours.
Propped up on my old breastfeeding pillow helped before the antibiotics. It's horrible, I completely sympathise.

InsulatedLoft Mon 03-Oct-16 06:56:11

Thanks all, seems we've turned a corner as last night was much better, but thanks for the breastfeeding pillow idea for next time - genius!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now